Too much exercise?

Options
Is there such a thing as exercise too much?
Currently right now I am doing 30 day shred - its 20 mins and at night I go for a 2 km face past walk. I dont physically feel like I have done enough.

So what do you think? Can a person exercise too much ?

Replies

• toxicat
    toxicat Posts: 79
    Options
    I don't personally think so, unless it becomes an unhealthy obsession. Just make sure you're eating enough for your body to burn off.
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    They had an Intervention episode on a woman who worked out for like 10 hours a day every day. I'd say that was too much. She never stopped walking on her treadmill!
  • YvetteBabich
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you are exercising too much, but last year I worked out so much that I didn't menstruate for over 5 months. That was likely too much for me. (1.5 hours of high intensity cardio, 6 days a week, along with weight training.)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 months pregnant and everyday I was 3.1 miles (5k) and 3 days a week I lift weights for 40 minutes. When I'm not pregnant I run a 5k everyday, circuit train 2 times a week for an hour and lift weights 2-3 times a week for an hour. I also do Pilates once a week and Yoga twice a week as well as take a spin class twice a week. What you're doing doesn't sound anything like overkill to me.
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    They had an Intervention episode on a woman who worked out for like 10 hours a day every day. I'd say that was too much. She never stopped walking on her treadmill!

Only in cases like these. You dont want exercise to become an obsession. But if you truly are enjoying yourself and like to spend extra time, sure why not?
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    One can certainly exercise too much in that you never give your body a chance to rest and recover. It's that rest period where you see the changes like muscle growth for instance. In your case, I wouldn't say what you're doing is excesive in any way.
  • nudacris
    nudacris Posts: 25
    Options
    If you overwork your body, it can lead to exhaustion and possibly even injury. That can seriously hinder your fitness progress. Also, I believe after about 60min of intense exercise, the body starts to burn muscle for fuel.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely such thing as too much exercise. That being said though, what constitutes too much depends on the individual. Listen to your body. If you're exercising a lot, make sure your body has enough fuel/food to keep it going. Also, your muscles need rest. Over exerting your muscles is what leads to injuries. Some people may not need to rest as often as others, but when your body tells you to rest...do it.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    That doesn't sound like too much to me, but maybe it's just right for you. I think a person should aim to work out to the point where they feel somewhat sore the next day or so. If I'm not sore the next day, I feel like I didn't do enough. Just safely push yourself everytime and you'll know when you need to rest your muscles. Mine definitely let me know when they've been worked enough!
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a healthy balance going on right now... I'd say keep it up! You want to work out smarter not harder, so hours and hours at the gym are unnecessary if you're giving your workouts 110%... or as Jillian says "Don't phone it in."

Do some sort of physical activity every day, push yourself when you workout, mix up your routine every now and again to keep your body guessing, but don't feel pressured to torture yourself for hours and hours at the gym.
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    I don't believe that you are doing too much. I believe you are right on target with what your body can handle. And Jillian Michael's is going to kick your butt! She is amazing!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I'm 7 months pregnant and everyday I was 3.1 miles (5k) and 3 days a week I lift weights for 40 minutes. When I'm not pregnant I run a 5k everyday, circuit train 2 times a week for an hour and lift weights 2-3 times a week for an hour. I also do Pilates once a week and Yoga twice a week as well as take a spin class twice a week. What you're doing doesn't sound anything like overkill to me.

WOW
  • hotcouponmama
    Options

How do you possibly have time for that with kids?!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can work out too much. In some cases people become addicted, over train, injure themselves, keep working, hurt themselves more, don't take in adequate nutrition, etc., etc. etc.

But it doesn't sound like you're doing that.

For an average person, experts recommend somewhere between 30-90 minutes most days of the week. Athletes train more, of course, and some people with physical limitations do less. If you're falling somewhere within that range or just slightly over or under, you're probably not in danger of overtraining.
  • starboardzor
    Options

Beastin it!! You're my hero.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Burning an excessive amount of calories per day on a regular basis can create positive results in the beginning but will ultimately be just the opposite. You will become totally exhausted and your body will definitely begin to shut down. You will find yourself extremely tired and falling asleep unexpectedly.
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I brisk walk/job for about 32 minutes during lunch and do P90X in the evening. There have been people that tell me that I"m over doing it, but I've never have had the energy I have now. There are times where I have to make myself do it, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I did p90x and an hour walk a day...It felt great!!!!.....My question is she have a heart monitor because I use mine during all exercise.....That way I know how much to eat.