Healthy soup/chili recipes????

Options
muriah2
muriah2 Posts: 143 Member
It's so cold and rainy this week, I really wanna make a pot of chili, but I know my recipe is loaded with sodium and cals! HELP!

Replies

• Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You could use Turkey Mince or Quorn Mince as a healthy alternative!
  • blooeyes79
    blooeyes79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always use the ones from skinnytaste.com they are the best and she lays out all the calories and they are healthy! my fae is the Chicken Taco Chili :)
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers taco soup! it's healthy, delicious and just a bunch of cans of stuff thrown into a pot! I'll have to go home and get the recipe though, sorry to be such a recipe tease!
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna come back to check on this thread! I was looking for the same kind of recipes!
  • garcian22
    Options
    I tried this turkey chili recipe from allrecipes.com a while back and loved it. I've continued to make it ever since.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/simple-turkey-chili/Detail.aspx

At my fiance's request I added a can of black beans to the recipe, but I love it with or without :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Pepper soup from Cooking Light - Yum!

Ingredients
    1/2 pound ground round
    2 cups chopped green bell pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
    1 1/2 cups hot cooked white rice
    Preparation
    Heat a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add chopped green bell pepper and onion; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in black pepper, less-sodium beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.

Spoon 1/4 cup hot cooked white rice into each of 6 bowls; top with 1 cup soup.

I use Progresso tomato soup because it's lower in sugar. I also like basil.
  • weaziemand
    weaziemand Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lulusmom
    lulusmom Posts: 71
    Options
    I made a yummy one just this week:

1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained.
    1 can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained.
    1/2 bag of frozen zuchini and squash
    1/2 jar of tomato basil pasta sauce (read labels carefully to get a low sodium/calorie one with no sugar)
    1 tablespoon of Cholulua Hot Sauce
    1/2 cup of minced onion
    2 tablespoons of minced garlic
    1 table spoon of black pepper

Simmer for a few hours. I put mine in single-serving containers (it made 3) and ate it for lunch each day. SO yummy and filling. By my calculation, each serving was about 275 calories each.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    A way to REALLY cut back on the sodium is to use dry beans that you soak and either cook in a pressure cooker or a crock pot, instead of canned, and to use V8 low sodium tomatoe juice - I like the hot and spicy kind in my chili... Use a lot of whole seasonings instead of mixed blends, you are a lot more likely to get a lot of sodium and sugar from mixed blends. Chili powder, Mrs. Dash, red pepper flakes and paprika I believe are all sodium free, and I know are all calorie free. I tend to put a LOT of peppers and onions in my chili as well, great way to add a lot of flavor and get in a veggie serving without adding a lot of calories... I'm not sure of the calorie/sodium ratio, but I put in a packet of taco seasoning with my chili, sounds weire I know but tastes amazing!.

This one is harder to get to be low sodium... but pretty low cal and very tasty!

Pepperoni Soup

1 (3cup) can of double veggie speghetti sauce
    4 small cans of low sodium chicken broth (12 oz I think)
    1 chopped and seeded red bell pepper (or more :)
    1 chopped yellow onion
    6 cloves chopped garlic
    1 package hormel pepperoni chopped,
    Adobo, Mrs. Dash, Italian Seasonings, red pepper flakes and black pepper to taste... i like mine very spicy so tend to use a LOT

Combine all of the above and cook in a crock pot overnight on low, in the morning break up whole wheat linguini about 6 oz into about 3 inch long pieces It is all ready for you when you come home on your lunch break! You could add more veggies if you like to it, if you are a mushroom fan they would be good in there. I have a friend who adds half and half to his to make it creamier, but i want to save the calories. top with low fat cheese! just the soup makes about 6 servings and is about 300 calories per large bowl :)

I don't remember the calorie count, but also made a really good roasted butternut squash soup.
    Roast your butternut squash with just a little cooking spray until soft throughout, Chop about 4 small honey crisp apples, 1 red pepper and about half an onion, a cook on low in a crock pot with 1 large can of low sodium chicken broth, about 4 cloves of garlic chopped and the de-skinned butternut squash, cook on low overnight wth a lot of yellow curry powder and a little cinnamon, blend it all together with an immulsion blender stick thing the next day, it tastes great and is pretty healthy too.
  • muriah2
    muriah2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    http://www.jennieo.com/recipes/recipe_detail.aspx?Id=1086

Above is the recipe I'm going to try, except with dried beans and fresh tomatoes that I'm cooking myself. Thanks everyone!