Boredom! Defeated! Deflated!

Options
Ok, So I have a large amount of weight to lose, not just to look good. But so I am healthier, more active and will hopefully be able to have a successful pregnancy after 9 miscarriages. The problem is I have had to give up work due to ill health and I have good days and bad days. A lot of bad days at the moment but surely that means the good days are yet to come! I can't exercise as much as my head wants to as my body won't let me, for an example how bad I am, I have to hoover my downstairs in my house in three shifts as I end up in so much pain and completely out of breath. Since I have given up work I am suffering from a severe case of BOREDOM which is starting to result in a case of OVER EATING! Just for something to do - I am still coming in under calorie goal but due to my height I have a huge 1730 calories to play with. I did want to start maybe just working to 1500 calories but I am quite often closer to the 1700 mark due to eating for something to do! I even knitted a draft excluder for something to do and yet here I am a new day - I am completely bored and so tempted to raid the fridge but trying really hard to resist. I am trying to do a bit of housework but in stages again. I am fed up and so tempted to give up but to top off everything I am getting in 11 months and at the moment my Maid of Honour is going to be gorgeous and I am going to waddle up the aisle. I want to give up but I know I can't because I want to fill fit and healthy on my wedding day, I want to be a mum, I want to chase my god son round the block. I just need to find a cure for this boredom!

Replies

• AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    go for a walk. It works wonders for boredom. at a very steady pace :wink:
  • tnknights
    tnknights Posts: 23
    Options
    Amen. Go outside. Walk. Mall. Anything but TV. TV will remind you of food. You need to break old habits.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear there have been bad days lately, and I agree, I think that means more things are to come! Are there things to do that can keep your hands (and your mind!) busy to help you stay out of the fridge? Is it possible to weight train even if you're not able to move around a lot? I'm a boredom eater, too, and I took up knitting. Helps keep my hands busy and my mind off the food in the fridge. I also don't keep a lot of snack foods in the house for that very reason.
  • cha36jennings
    cha36jennings Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I completely agree on the walking. I have even bought local maps to help me investigate my local area. I have found out so much! I now intend to write a walkers blog for my local parish in the hope of encouraging others to walk :-)
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,629 Member
    Options
    I know when my friend was injured and unable to exercise like she was accustomed to, she went for slow walks. Even if just up the street and back. Every little bit of movement helps. Outside in the sunshine! I agree with TNKnights...stay away from TV. Maybe an online class? But definitely outside as much as possible! Stick with us! We can do this with each other!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I had years of sitting around at home BORED. Get out and do something, anything. Just walk and walk and walk. Meet people, go to a museum, plan an activity out of the house every day, get yourself up and get outside. It is the only cure!
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    ANY type of movement is good! Walking is great. Even if you can only walk for a few minutes, every little bit counts!~! Even if you dont feel motivated to get outside, just walk around the house a bit. Have you ever heard of couch to 5k? google it, I see alot of people on here use it.

I have a problem with raiding te fridge too when I am bored. I try to eat on a schedule instead of waiting til I am hungry. If I get hungry I just want to eat anything I can get my hands on. So try smll meals. Eat something every 3-4 hours. And drink LOTS of water. (Fat molecules need water molecules to break down.... so, not enough water equals slower fat loss!~!) I find that if I keep a full glass of water near me and keep on drinking I also feel less hungry and my hands have something to do so I dont want to sit there and eat.

I wish you all the best!~! Good Luck... YOU CAN DO IT!~!
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Walking outside is great. It helps all your muscles and the sunshine will enhance your mood. Start off by walking a small distance. Each day try going a little bit further. Just doing a little housework at a time, will keep you busy, will burn calories and the house will look great. Clean a window. Do a crossword. Clean another window, paint your nails (that will stop you nibbling).

I was going to suggest knitting. If you can get hold of cheap wool in charity shops, could you knit squares to make blankets for the homeless? The fact you are doing something for a good cause will keep you motivated and focussed.

I agree with drinking the water too. I have a bottle with me so that it keeps me slurping and out of the fridge

I know how hard it is to keep going, but think of the wedding - its going to be the best day of your life :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    In addition to going for a walk... how about taking up some other hobby or crafts to alleviate boredom? Drawing or painting. Needlework, sewing or knitting. Get some Sculpty clay and start playing. I fell in love with beading and jewelry making last year. Something to keep your hands and mind busy. And you won't want to eat while doing those, since you won't want to get food on your project, or your project in your food. :wink:
  • daffysbird
    Options
    Thankyou for all the lovely advice - I am unable to walk much due to living at the bottom of a hill and I get very out of breath going up hills - I will definitely looking into some other of your ideas though :-)
  • tnknights
    tnknights Posts: 23
    Options
    A few months ago this was me.

I played baseball and softball all my life. Quit due to ankle issues. The short of it is, I got to where I couldn't walk up steps without losing breath. And it was bad. So I started walking. A little at a time. Shin splints started. Very painful at times. So I started walking less and setting smaller goals. Then I began to increase the goals. Now I'm in week 2 of Couch to 5k.

I guess my thought is, start out on that hill. Walk up it just a bit. Do it again the next day. In a few days go a few more feet. Add small goals will give you confidence. Don't give up because it's a tall hill. You WILL climb that thing. It may take a while, but someday you'll do it.

If a walking trail is nearby, drive to it. That's what I have to do. We all know you can do it. Please don't give up.