the most unexpected NSV, while in China!

Options
pandafoo
pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
I just returned today from a business trip in Beijing, and there are many NSVs that tickle me pink! :)

Before going to China, I made it my goal to return more fit and healthier. I really didn't know if I was going to accomplish it, especially given all the eating out and yummy meals/snacks served at hotels, but at least I was going to try! :) I packed my HRM, interval timer, workout DVDs, swimsuit, and I even portioned out some snacks. That I even planned ahead was amazing. Considering the last time I took a business trip, it was to Singapore, and I gorged a lot on the amazing breakfast and lunch buffets, and returned a few pounds heavier. I was determined to not let that happen this time.

I also set a goal of exercising every day, and I actually did this! Most days I even worked out twice a day, with my cardio/strength training in the morning, and a late night swim to relax my body before bedtime. I am completely not a morning person but I'd ask the hotel to give me wake up calls at 6 am. The day I climbed the Great Wall, I felt on top of the world. The steps are rather steep, so when I finally scaled the final segment of the wall, I felt grateful to have strong legs to carry me this far. It was amazing view to enjoy and it just felt great! Nutrition-wise, I made a conscientious effort to track my calories while in Beijing, and I indulged in one splurge day which was completely worth it. =D

However, the BEST, most unexpected NSV happened when my colleague and I got a full-body massage. My masseuse was a very slim girl, like typical local Chinese people. In contrast, I consider myself a big-boned Chinese gal, and when I first saw her, I felt a bit self conscious because I thought she'd think I was really big. But that went away quickly as the relaxing massage took over and I'm about to succumb to sleep. Later as she's massaging my legs, we have a conversation like this:

She: "Wow, your muscles are very tight."
Me: "Oh really? Isn't that bad?" (I thought she was implying that I had a lot of kinks that needed to be massaged out)
She: "No! It's good to have tight muscles. Almost all women who come in here have loose muscles"
Me: (doing an inward "yay" because I figured out what she's trying to say)
She: "Yes, your muscles are very tight. What type of exercises do you do?"
Me: "Oh, running, dancing, swimming..."

It just felt SO GOOD to have a very very petite Chinese gal compliment me on my leg muscles! Who would have thought? I've always felt like a giant when traveling in Asia, and to receive such a nice compliment and for her to even ask me what kind of exercises I do made me feel so proud!

I don't know if I gained or lost weight from my business trip (will find out tmrw), but either way, I just feel thrilled with these various NSVs while in Beijing. I hope all of you take pride in your NSVs along the way. They are just as important as seeing the scale move, because they are testaments to the awesome progress that you have made and to the dedication you have to better health. Here's to non-scale and scale victories for all of us! =D

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    you are beautiful, you are educated and you are loved <3<3<3

once you come to that realization, the weight will fall off and *poof* disappear!
  • lovingbears2
    lovingbears2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oh, Wow!!! How great for you!:bigsmile: CONGRATS!:drinker:

That was fabulous!!! I'm so proud of you, too.... to be on a trip like that, with all the temptations and great food, and to have planned, AND stuck to the plan, AND to have exercised, not once, but TWICE DAILY!!! YOU ARE AWESOME! and an inspiration to me!! I have a mini-vacation coming up this weekend (4 days), and I will use this example to keep myself in check!!!

Thanks, and WTG!!!:happy:
  • florange323
    florange323 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    you are beautiful, you are educated and you are loved <3<3<3

I totally agree! I smile everytime I visit your page and I hope some of your strength rubs off on me. =) Keep up the good work and work those leg muscles girl =)

my NSV victory this week..... my toes look slimmer. (isn't that COOL) I have always had plump toes but last night I noticed they are a lot slimmer. *chers* to my cute feet lol :drinker:
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and you well deserve the compliment :)
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    great story and great job! :happy:
  • foodbuzz
    foodbuzz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome post and wonderful reminder!!!! YOU are such an INSPIRATION to me. :love: HUGS!!!!!
  • morningstarluv
    Options
    Love this story! You are so amazing & we are lucky to have you on MFP. You inspire me so much :flowerforyou:
  • HotMommy0609
    Options
    Awesome!
  • mcvc
    mcvc Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wonderful story and fantastic for you.
    If your still checking this post I would like some advise. I leave for China in about a week. I have been on MFP for lil over three months and doing OK. When I get to China I dont want to go backwards. To be honest I'm not a big fan of fish or vegetables so what I find I like is far from healthy. In the past I would usually go down to the lobby lounge in the evening for a few beverages and listen to the entertainers. I plan to replace that with work and the fitness center this trip. One plus is I'll be having a birthday over there so no beers with the boys this year. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!