Granola and Protein Bar Recommendations

Options
Hammie18
Hammie18 Posts: 45 Member
Hey everybody! I'm looking for some recommendations on granola and protein bar snacks that aren't loaded with sugars. There are lot of products out there to choose from. Any suggestions are warmly welcomed. Thanks!

Replies

• nadiapy
    nadiapy Posts: 3
    Options
    Detour bars - low sugar!! They are about 170 cals per bar but loaded with protein and like I said, low sugar. They sell them at Costco.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My all time fave is "think thin"
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If you go to www.bodybuilding.com Jamie Eason has recipes on there for making your own protein bars. I love them! The lemon is my favorite.
  • Hammie18
    Options
    Oh so there are recipes for protein bars. Awesome, I'll check it out!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I love luna bars. They are 180 cals each, gluten free and vegan. Also have tons of vitamins and what not. They may be sugary but they are a staple in my household.
  • SLO80
    SLO80 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try 'high protein bar' from publix. The peanut butter chocolate one is really good. 200 calories like 6g of sugars and 16g of protein. My dad uses them for his diet which is how I got turned on to them. You feel full for hours!
  • kjsimps
    kjsimps Posts: 17
    Options
    I am absolutely in love with Clif bars. They are a little pricey, but I get them for cheaper in bulk at Costco. They taste great and have 15 grams of protein in 1 bar. They are also 100% organic.
  • kristy_estes21
    Options
    Oh so there are recipes for protein bars. Awesome, I'll check it out!

They're not like regular protein bars you're used to, but I really like them. They are more like brownie style. You bake them in a pan like that. Two bars = 1 serving and it's like 85-90 calories and 10g of protein I think for 1 serving. Not quite as high in protein as the bars you buy, but less sugar, fat, and calories. Jamie Eason always has them on hand and one look at her and you'll see that they are good! haha! She's one hot lady.
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    We do not have Costco where I live but I use ESA AdvantEDGE carb control bars 230-240 calories per bar but 17g protein, 1-2g sugar, 5-6g fiber.....One with a bottle of water fills me up for lunch for hours.
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump. looking for the same thing.
  • kristy_estes21
    Options
    Also I have a recipe from Oxygen magazine for a peanut butter oatmeal protein bar. They are a lot like Clif bars, but cheaper and better for you in my opinion. Anything I can make from scratch I feel is much better than any store bought product. I posted the recipe in the MFP database.
  • Hammie18
    Options
    Thanks everybody! This was very helpful. :)
  • kch0088
    kch0088 Posts: 6
    Options
    I make my own granola bars. I'm new to MFP and I haven't yet entered my "recipe" - so I don't know about the calorie counts. I do know it's a good way to control the sugar (I use Splenda brown sugar - also I'm Type 1 diabetic) ... but I still use REAL honey, oats, sunflower seeds, sliced almonds, wheat germ (double what the recipe calls for) and dried cherries. You can use any kind of "nut" and/or dried fruit. I also make them on a large sheet pan (instead of the 8x8 noted in the recipe) - so I get a lot more bars. Hmmm...I think I'll make some tonight! ;-)
  • ejsmith7
    ejsmith7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • breunor
    breunor Posts: 12
    Options
    I have been making my own no-bake protein bars which are similar in texture to Clif bars but cost a lot less:

2 cup rolled oats, plus 1 cup to the side (quaker oats in the canister for example)
    5 scoops whey isolate protein powder (I'm using Optimum Nutrition 100% whey gold standard, double fudge flavor)
    1/2 cup ground flax
    1 cup raisins
    1 packet stevia sweetener (optional)
    up to 1 cup water, as needed

You mix all the dry ingredients together (except the extra cup of oats), then keep mixing as you slowly add water. You want just enough to bind the ingredients, but no more. After you mix it up, spoon into a dish that has the extra oats and coat the mixture with the dry oats(which keeps the end product from being sticky), place in the final pan/tray/dish, slice into bars, and refridgerate. They last a week in the fridge.

I get about 6 bars from this recipe. If you don't have or use protein powder, you could use cocoa powder instead, just a lot less, and more sweetener to counter the bitterness of the cocoa. Or you could put in peanut butter instead for flavoring, and leave out the flax at that point (I add flax to keep my fat intake up at healthy levels). You could also swap out the raisins for cranberries or whatever else you prefer.
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump