protein shake

Options
Hello everyone,
So I want to try protein shake, but don't know where to start. Can anyone give me some info on protein shake ( I know there not replacement meals) and I would like to try one that's not bad in tasting, remember I have to stick with my diet and don't want to fall off because it taste nasty...lol

Replies

• abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    The Special K ones aren't too bad. I prefer making my own. Use skim milk or nonfat yogurt, fruit, and a little protein powder! (Use ice too, if you aren't using frozen fruit). When I make my own, I control exactly what goes in them!
  • tonlynn
    tonlynn Posts: 23
    Options
    I toss a cup of frozen berries, 1 cup pof water, a scoop of whey protein powder and some stevia (calorie free sweetener) into a blender and blend till smooth. I love them, and try to have one within an hour of my workout 3 days a week. roughly 220 cal depending on your protein powder and berry choices
  • Tompkins87
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition - 100% Whey Protein Powder Gold Standard - Vanilla Ice Cream flavor is really good! My boyfriend (who is a med student) uses it and got me hooked! Its a quality brand and legitmate supplement. Because Im not looking to gain a lot of muscle weight I only take it two-three times a week right after working out (mixed in skim milk). If you are not a fan of the flavor add half a banana and a handful of blueberries and blend it into a delicious protein smoothie!
  • chasethompson13
    Options
    You want to find a good whey protein powder that has atleast 80% protein in it. Also that has low carbs. Alot of companys will put sugars in it to make it taste better. As far as the taste, None of them taste GREAT, but alot taste good enough to drink. I mix mine with milk so it taste like choclate milk. Of course theres alot of diffrent flavors to choose from as well. I use Messelar Creme, it taste good, powder breaks down good and it puts pleny of protein and good amino acids for your body to recover.
    Good Luck!
  • Armymom44
    Armymom44 Posts: 76
    Options
    I drinkk shakeology love the taste , I did try the one from Vitiamin world did not like it
  • hull37
    hull37 Posts: 11
    Options
    II use 100% whey protein NRG love the cookies and cream lol
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would take a look at the selection at your local health food store. The ones they'll have are made with all natural and sometimes organic ingredients, the do not use genetically engineered ingredients or proteins from milk that comes from cows treated with growth hormones or antibiotics, and they don't use artificial sweeteners. I just got a new one called Whey to Go by Solgar. It's only 90 calories per scoop because it doesn't have any sugar. It has 20 grams of protein, 2 grams of carbs and no fat. I put it in a smoothie for my breakfast yesterday and it tasted pretty good. I usually make my post-workout protein shake with vanilla soy milk so my powder doesn't have to add much flavor or sugar.
  • Jorenda
    Jorenda Posts: 1
    Options
    1/2 cup Mango juice, 1/2 cup Pineapple juice, mixed berries, 1 tbsp ground flax seed, 1 Scoop of EAS 100% whey protein powder (vanilla)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    First is how much protein do they have? Look for ones over 25gms per serving.

For pre-made shakes: Premier Protein (Avail @ Costco) and Pure Protein along w/ Muscle Milk Light are the most popular. I drink the Premier Protein twice a day.

For Powder: Try Pure Protein or Jay Robb. The Pure Protein Vanilla can be mixed with Crystal Light for better flavor, the orange kind make a Orange Julius type drink. The Jay Robb can be sprinkled on Cereal, Oatmeal, Greek Yogurt for some added protein.

Pure protein is available widely including Walmart and Target. The Jay Robb is more a Vitamin Shoppe/GNC type item.

Good Luck and let us know how you do!
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I like Honey Milk roughly 250-315 calories depending on the flavor... It's a pre-made protein shake (rather than a powder you add water or milk to) you can get it on-line and various distributors they taste delicious! Caution: although protein shakes not a meal replacement, you will still need to watch the serving size and calories.. they can be loaded with too many calories, depending what you may add to them, what serving you choose (there are two listing for most mixes, 1 for men the other for women) and can make you feel sick or heavy to your stomach (especially if you are doing a powder mix) if you have too much.
  • aanaya56
    aanaya56 Posts: 136
    Options
    I recently bought the ones at Walmart called Atkins. They are ready and so yummy. Only 2 Net G of Carb, less than 2g of sugar and 15g of protein..
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Michaels Whey Protein Powder, the vanilla, as it goes with several flavor options. I use a cup of unsweetened almond milk, scoop of whey powder, and a 1/2 - full cup of whatever no sugar added frozen fruit I want that day. Today I skipped the fruit, but was still delish :)
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I like Unjury protein powder. The Chocolate Classic is delicious!
  • kjsimps
    kjsimps Posts: 17
    Options
    The Atkins Mocha Latte ones are super good for breakfast! They have real coffee in them, lots of protein, and they taste just like a Latte - if you throw it in the blender with some ice - it's like a Frape! Delicious :)
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You can add a tbsp of sugar free jello mix for flavor. I like pistachio and cheesecake. I also like to put a baked sweet potato in there. It sounds crazy, but it thickens it nicely and has a ton of potassium. Also, if you go to a health foods store you can get guar gum. it is a powder made from a bean. It is an emmusifier. You will no longer need milk or yogart to make it creamy, which will save calories if needed.

I also like using peanut butter or PB2 in there as well.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm really, really picky about taste and have found that I don't like a lot of the protein shakes out there. I do like Muscle Milk - though it is higher in fat (the good fats) and carbs than some of the other powders. I drink it in the morning instead of breakfast or after the gym. I don't tend to drink it before the gym simply because I want my body to use fat not carbs in the food as energy while I'm at the gym.

The cookies n cream Muscle Milk is delish.

Muscle milk is the only one that I can use water instead of milk and it still tastes good.
  • fasttrack27
    fasttrack27 Posts: 324
    Options
    After a lot of research (my wife gets the credit!) we have gone with the Jay Robb brand as it doesnt have all the sugar and other stuff we didnt want. Ordered it online. Been mixing it with soy milk - tastes great!
  • fasttrack27
    fasttrack27 Posts: 324
    Options
    I would take a look at the selection at your local health food store. The ones they'll have are made with all natural and sometimes organic ingredients, the do not use genetically engineered ingredients or proteins from milk that comes from cows treated with growth hormones or antibiotics, and they don't use artificial sweeteners. I just got a new one called Whey to Go by Solgar. It's only 90 calories per scoop because it doesn't have any sugar. It has 20 grams of protein, 2 grams of carbs and no fat. I put it in a smoothie for my breakfast yesterday and it tasted pretty good. I usually make my post-workout protein shake with vanilla soy milk so my powder doesn't have to add much flavor or sugar.

for what its worth, i just looked up this brand to see if its a better option than what we are using. Their website actually shows it at 130cal's, 10mg of cholesterol, 9g of sugars, 10g carbs, 0.5g fat. I think i'll stick with the Jay Robb which has zero sugar, chol, fat.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I like the Special K the best, the don't have any of that chalky flavor or aftertaste. They are a little higher in calories, coming in at 180. But for me they really stave off the munchies and hold me over.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk has the best flavor but I'm not a huge fan of it, because if you're using more than a scoop a day, you could be taking in a lot of heavy metals.

Optimum Nutrition makes good stuff.
    Dymatize is supposed to have pretty good flavors.