Desk Exercises?

Options
I have to sit at a desk for several hours a day. I am very busy teaching and taking classes, and doing the grading and homework all that entails. I hate to make excuses, but I'm very busy. Are there any desk exercises I could do to help my calorie burn? I am having a hard time eating as little as I need to in order to lose pounds. I'm in a lull and stuck at my current weight. I don't want to wait until the quarter is over to make progress!

Replies

• carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    There are some on youtube.com
  • crystal10584
    Options
    maybe walk at a slow pace on a treadmill instead of sitting at a desk while grading/doing homework (reading assignments more than anything)
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Kiegels....??

LOL! ;-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I sit on a big exercise ball at my desk instead of a chair...it helps the core a lot.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    sit on an exercise ball, it helps u with balance and other stuff.
  • Mark330
    Mark330 Posts: 75
    Options
    Go for a mile - 2 mile walk during lunch or on break. That will eat up a few hundred calories.

Drink alot of water, and you will find yourself getting up more to go to the bathroom. I do some quick exercises every time I get up and go to the bathroom.
  • Mark330
    Mark330 Posts: 75
    Options
    This is a fun answer!
    Kiegels....??

LOL! ;-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I sit on a big exercise ball at my desk instead of a chair...it helps the core a lot.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    but and tummy squeezes throughout the day. It isnt much but at least it is something. I have also always wanted to get one of those little peddle things that you can put under your desk and peddle away while you are working. I would think that would be a great way to burn some calories.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Go for a mile - 2 mile walk during lunch or on break. That will eat up a few hundred calories.

Drink alot of water, and you will find yourself getting up more to go to the bathroom. I do some quick exercises every time I get up and go to the bathroom.

do squats over the toilet lol
  • Kytana
    Kytana Posts: 63
    Options
    @ dayzeerock: I've been wanting to bring my exercise ball in to work to sit on - you're seeing results? How were your office mates the first time you brought it in?
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    @ dayzeerock: I've been wanting to bring my exercise ball in to work to sit on - you're seeing results? How were your office mates the first time you brought it in?

Nobody thought anything of it when I started using the ball because over half our office sits on them for at least half the day! They offer them to us at work, and we have a super nice gym to use that have stands on all the cardio machines for laptops so you can workout while you work....luckily I work at a place that is big on fitness. So, no weird looks when I started using the ball to sit on.

I usually don't notice anything different physically, but my hrm calculates more calories burned when I sit on my ball as opposed to my chair...so it does burn more calories, and has made my posture a lot better!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

Nobody thought anything of it when I started using the ball because over half our office sits on them for at least half the day! They offer them to us at work, and we have a super nice gym to use that have stands on all the cardio machines for laptops so you can workout while you work....luckily I work at a place that is big on fitness. So, no weird looks when I started using the ball to sit on.

I usually don't notice anything different physically, but my hrm calculates more calories burned when I sit on my ball as opposed to my chair...so it does burn more calories, and has made my posture a lot better!

I wish my work place was so accepting! It seems like a great idea... I may just do it despite the looks/remarks I might receive!

I do a few things... I try to get up from my desk at least once an hour and walk to the furthest rest room. I do a posture/upper back strengthening work out too... To do this you put your arms at 90 degree angles and pull your shoulders back while engaging upper back muscles with an attempt to pinch your shoulder blades together. I also focus on my abs/ butt muscles by just engaging and holding for 30 seconds (while doing the abs make sure you're paying attention to your breathing - it's tempting to hold your breath), releasing and then repeating. Hope this helps!
  • cavycity
    cavycity Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I am usually walking around giving lectures, but I hate my desk time! I feel so lazy! I'm going to try these hints!
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    This is my blog post today :laugh: You can check it out (link in sig), but here is what I wrote:

Many of us find ourselves in sedentary jobs. Sitting for 8+ hours a day, fingers getting more of a workout than anything else. It can be frustrating to get in a good workout in the morning only to sit all day long. Or to sit all day long and then try to find the energy to workout afterwards. I have found several exercises that I can do while on a bathroom break that either get the heart rate up, provide some strengthening, or both! Here are just a few suggestions:

Lunges (take one large step forward, lowering your body so your front knee makes a 90 degree angle and your back knee is an inch or so off the floor. Make sure to keep your front knee behind your toes!)
    Squats (lower body like you were sitting in a chair. Get as close to 90 degrees as possible without letting your knees go past your toes)
    Push Ups (I have a clean individual bathroom so I don't mind getting on the floor for these, but against a wall/stall door works too!)
    Crunches (again, don't mind being on the floor for these, but if your bathroom is gross <or public> try clenching your ab muscles, then releasing. You can even do this at your desk!)
    Air Boxing (crouch into a squat, tighten your abs, and box! Keep it quick and tight)
    Side Lunges (take a wide step to the left and lower body down. Your left knee should be at 90 degrees, your right leg should be in a straight line. Push back to start and repeat on right side)
    Bicep Curls (best done with some type of weight. I found bottles of soap to use!)
    Triceps Extensions (also best with some weight. Raise arms straight up, then bend elbows to lower forearms behind you, go back to start)
    Shoulder Presses (with weights, put your arms out and at 90 degrees like a goal post, press up, then lower)
    Calve Raises (raise up on your toes, then lower, repeat)
    Jumping Jacks (like in gym class!)
    I happen to be in an open work space, so that is why I'm suggesting these moves to be done in the bathroom instead of at a desk. But if you have the freedom to do them in your office, all the better! I try and do 10 to 20 reps of 2 or three moves so I don't take up the bathroom longer than necessary. But by the end of the day, I could easily end up with 100 reps or more!

While at your desk, you can also do some simple stretches, or flexibility moves. Try flexing then pointing your toes, spell the alphabet with your toes, do ankle circles, twist in your chair to stretch out your back.

If you have the ability, you can take it to the next level by replacing your chair with an exercise ball, or better yet, create a standing work station. Walk around the office if it is big enough, or use stairs if you have them. Some additional ideas can be found here: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blofficeworkout.htm

Don't let the office chair hold you back!

In Pursuit,

Sarah