Something is going on. I'm craving everything it seems!

Options
Hi, I started eating cleaner and exercising at the beginning of March. I completed my first month and did pretty good. I had a lot of struggles and adjustments to make, but I made it to the end with a 6 pound loss for my first month. This month comes around and instead of improving, it's been much harder. I have battled food cravings all month long, and it seems like I am never satisfied (craving wise) not hunger wise. I can feel comfortably full and still be craving food like crazy. I don't know the cause of it. I eat enough, I try to eat pretty clean too. I don't know if it's just my body fighting against me because of the changes, or if it's all in my mind, or what. The only other thing I can think of it I have been drinking a little more Sprite Zero more than usual, which has aspartame. Could that be the problem? I keep planning meals ahead, trying to stay on track, and I keep telling myself tomorrow will be better, but tomorrow comes around and somewhere in the middle of the day I get out of control. Any advice at this point is appreciated because I really want to get back on track and stop these mad cravings!

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I would definitely give up the soda of any kind---just not a good choice for anyone's health.

Next, make sure you cut out your suguar and processed foods---these are the things that make us crave more junk---it will be hard at first but once you go without it for so long---you won't even miss it. Its all about changing your relationship with food---view food as fuel and not as pleasure--so now that I don't think of food as pleasure, I no longer need that donut or bag of chips. I eat every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism fueld which keeps me from getting hungry and keeps my cravings at bay because each time I eat, my meal is protein and carb balanced.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    not sure how much it applies or not... but.. for what it's worth, ever since i gave up all refined sugars AND artificial sweeteners, i no longer crave sweets at all.
    The only sweetener i use now is honey, and that is only occasionally.

and for the record, i used to be SUCH a sweetaholic you cannot imagine *S*
  • karenself
    Options
    I know I feel better heading into the middle of the day if I have protein included in my breakfast. Protein sustains the calories consumed longer and helps to prevent blood sugar highs and lows.

Also, if you have been exercising a lot, then you may have increased your muscle mass and your body may require more calories during the day. You may want to look at your calorie deficit and see if it is in line with your new routine.

Lastly, bye bye soda!

Good luck!
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    Ok I'm going to sound a little strange, but when I read that you were craving everything and then you said you were eating cleaner I thought you meant household cleaner! BAH! I think I've been watching too much "My Strange Addiction".

Anyways, back to your real question... I've heard that consuming artificial sweeteners can make you crave sweets like crazy! Although I still use artificial sweetener (splenda), you might try to cut it out of your diet and see if that makes your cravings less.

Also, craving sweets could mean you have a blood sugar imbalance. You could try eating fruit in between meals and make sure to have plenty of veggies and whole grains which are slow energy releasing foods to try to balance your blood sugar levels!

Hope this helps and good luck!! :)
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm going to sound a little strange, but when I read that you were craving everything and then you said you were eating cleaner I thought you meant household cleaner! BAH! I think I've been watching too much "My Strange Addiction".

Anyways, back to your real question... I've heard that consuming artificial sweeteners can make you crave sweets like crazy! Although I still use artificial sweetener (splenda), you might try to cut it out of your diet and see if that makes your cravings less.

Also, craving sweets can mean you could mean you have a blood sugar imbalance. You could try eating fruit in between meals and make sure to have plenty of veggies and whole grains which are slow energy releasing foods to try to balance your blood sugar levels!

Hope this helps and good luck!! :)

LOL. When I was proof reading what I wrote, I almost changed that, but then I thought "Nah, they will get it." Haha
  • OzPodJen
    OzPodJen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I find that I tend to crave more if I'm not drinking enough water.
    Also a good multi-vitamin.....(not the Centrum junk, but a GOOD, bio-available vitamin).
    Protein over simple carbs for sure.
    And if that doesn't do the trick, look into Chromium. It helps balance the blood sugars.
    Keep at it! You're doing great! My hubby and I are 2+ months into our new way of eating and we still get cravings. Ugh :)
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    Definitely eliminate any and all types of sugars and substitute sugars. Try to cut out or at least cut down on flours, like breads and pastas. Those refined carbs will cause those cravings too.
  • kparks770
    kparks770 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Me too lol sorry I had to reread it.
    I always heard when you crave something your body is missing things.So,the thing I hear the most is water,but if your not on a daily multivitamin/mineral supplement I would add one.I cant have a lot of regular vitamins or some of them so I do flintstone chewable multivitamin/multimineral chewables.I have several defeciencys.Im hoping that they get better when I go back for bloodwork soon. Im craving things too right now so I think I need more water. Good Luck hope things are better.
  • amjmomma
    amjmomma Posts: 41
    Options
    I crave stuff all the time! Mostly, it's sweets! Part of it is being a woman and having to deal with womanly things, but otherwise, it's just because I am trying to change 31 years worth of sweet cravings in a matter of months, which isn't going to happen very easily. Be patient with yourself. Keep doing what you're doing. It will be hard for a while and even once you think you have it nipped, something will come along and throw you off again. Not to be Debbie Downer or anything, but it's a lifelong journey that we are on. That's what I have to keep telling myself, anyway. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one in this boat! =) Good luck! You can do it!