10,000 steps?....

Options
I've heard that a person should take 10,000 steps a day. 2000 steps in a mile, so unless I get a walk in every day, (which I will try), I won't make that many. Does anyone else track their steps and how many do you get on an average day?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I've been averaging around 19,000 per day.
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    Yeah. Unless you go for an actual walk...it's pretty unlikely you'll hit 10,000 steps in a day. That would be a very active job. 10,000 steps is 5 miles, which is a pretty long walk!
  • jimswife1
    jimswife1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I average 10,000 steps per day, but it does take some effort. I park farther away when I go to work and if I go to the store, I walk the perimeter of the store before I start shopping.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I used to wear my pedometer but it was kind of cheap and would lose count. I've been more focused on my calories these days but should try and get a better pedometer as well :)
  • mbvenske
    mbvenske Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Ok. That is realllllly good! Can I ask what you do that will give you that many?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

Ok. That is realllllly good! Can I ask what you do that will give you that many?
    Normally I run 4 to 6 miles in the morning and walk about 3.5 miles at lunch. Sometimes I also walk a couple of miles in the evening. The rest comes from my daily activity which unfortunately involves mostly sitting in a chair.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've got a pedometer in my cell phone and try to keep it in my pocket at all times. The best I can do on a work day is 5000 or so. The only time I get to 10,000 or more is if I go for a walk. For instance, Sunday I walked 4.7 miles and did some stuff around the house - my total for the day was 12500 steps.
  • Palache
    Palache Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use a pedometer and I ususally try to average 12,000 steps a day. But that requires a ton of activity with my boys AFTER my 2 mile run.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    I average about 25,000 a day, but that includes my run. I have 6 kids and don't sit down much at all. Always on the go and always on my feet.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I just started tracking with my phone 5000 has been this weeks average. I am hoping to pick it up over the next few weeks :D
    Good Luck!