Things I need to know because I *want* to run...

Options
I'm a new runner. I'm not that good at it yet, but I am determined.

Any tips for how *exactly* I should push forward week by week? My plan is to do a 5K on June 11. It will be a relaxed, smalltown 5K, so there isn't any big pressure on timing. Though I'd like to finish around 40 to 45 minutes, if possible.

I currently weigh 219 lbs, and losing 1½ to 2½ lbs a week. I'm 45 years old (or will be in a few weeks). I'm on the treadmill 7 days a week, but wonder if maybe that's too much? I do 40 minutes and go just about 2.0 or 2.1 miles in that time. I'm mostly walking (a fast walk) but doing several short jogs (1 minute or 2 minutes long). I do have a heartrate monitor. The jogs put me just past 85% of my max heart rate (and put me well past any comfort level - I'm huffin' & puffin'). When walking, I can keep my heartrate between 75-80% with minor "discomfort" - my breathing has gotten easier over the past month, now I feel the burn in my legs.

My questions, for you runners out there (and I'm couting on my pal Jeff to chime in here too):

1 - Should I concentrate in increasing my total time over the 40 minutes but leave the pace the same? Or stay at 40 minutes total and increase the amount jogging time? Or stay at 40 minutes total and increase the jogging speed?

2 - Is 7 days a week too much? If I should take a day off, I'm concerned about still getting a good cardio workout in. I don't have swimming as an option, or any other gym equipment other than my treadmill or the good ol' outdoors. Would walking at a slower pace be good?

Replies

• pittielover23
    Options
    I'm a new runner. I'm not that good at it yet, but I am determined.

Any tips for how *exactly* I should push forward week by week? My plan is to do a 5K on June 11. It will be a relaxed, smalltown 5K, so there isn't any big pressure on timing. Though I'd like to finish around 40 to 45 minutes, if possible.

I currently weigh 219 lbs, and losing 1½ to 2½ lbs a week. I'm 45 years old (or will be in a few weeks). I'm on the treadmill 7 days a week, but wonder if maybe that's too much? I do 40 minutes and go just about 2.0 or 2.1 miles in that time. I'm mostly walking (a fast walk) but doing several short jogs (1 minute or 2 minutes long). I do have a heartrate monitor. The jogs put me just past 85% of my max heart rate (and put me well past any comfort level - I'm huffin' & puffin'). When walking, I can keep my heartrate between 75-80% with minor "discomfort" - my breathing has gotten easier over the past month, now I feel the burn in my legs.

My questions, for you runners out there (and I'm couting on my pal Jeff to chime in here too):

1 - Should I concentrate in increasing my total time over the 40 minutes but leave the pace the same? Or stay at 40 minutes total and increase the amount jogging time? Or stay at 40 minutes total and increase the jogging speed?

2 - Is 7 days a week too much? If I should take a day off, I'm concerned about still getting a good cardio workout in. I don't have swimming as an option, or any other gym equipment other than my treadmill or the good ol' outdoors. Would walking at a slower pace be good?
    I highly reccomend the Couch to 5K plan, it really got me running (and I am not a runner!). Unfortunately, I did a number on my shins and I need to take a break from running for the time being.
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    A couple years ago when I wanted to get back into running after taking quite a few years off was a program (frequently mentioned here on MFP) called Couch to 5k. The narrative there may answer some of your questions. If you're new to running, my first suggestion would be to get a good pair of running shoes. Go to a running specialty store, they should be able to help you find the right shoe for you. Secondly, I know you're probably so excited to get started, but start slowly. Starting too fast, too often, and too far often leads to disinterest and injury. I hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your first 5k!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I would give your body at least one day a week off from ALL exercise. Your muscles need time to heal. Continuing to push them past the point of fatigue CAN result in injury. So, take a day off every week.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty new runner, too, but I had the opportunity to run with a running coach, who said 7 days a week is too much. I think maybe you can do that at some point, but for now train every other day.

It only takes TWO days of not running to go right back to where you were before you ever ran, so stay motivated and keep going! I got a Nike Sportband, which keeps track of how long I ran,calories burned, distance. You can also use their website nikeplus.com for comparing your stats to friends, find routes, etc. It is a good way to keep going and track your progress.

Good luck on your 5K!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I second the Couch to 5K plan. It works on increasing the time you run each week... three days a week. I finished it in 9 weeks. Runner's World and other running websites say not to increase your distance too much per week because you risk injury. I would try to run every other day until your body gets used to it....
    Good luck!
    ~maddymama
  • Mark330
    Mark330 Posts: 75
    Options
    Couch to 5K plan is great. Otherwise, try this:

Week 1: Walk 5 minutes, run 2 minutes (repeat 4 times)
    Week 2: Walk 4 minutes, run 3 minutes
    etc.
    etc
    Until you are running the full 28 minutes

In the beginning, you dont really have to focus on much other than getting out consistently. 3 - 4 days a week to start is good. Remember, each day out is a victory in itself. Small goals on top of that are icing on the cake.
  • Mark330
    Mark330 Posts: 75
    Options
    Couch to 5K plan is great. Otherwise, try this:

Week 1: Walk 5 minutes, run 2 minutes (repeat 4 times)
    Week 2: Walk 4 minutes, run 3 minutes
    etc.
    etc
    Until you are running the full 28 minutes

In the beginning, you dont really have to focus on much other than getting out consistently. 3 - 4 days a week to start is good. Remember, each day out is a victory in itself. Small goals on top of that are icing on the cake.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I'm in the same boat and from what I've read, we have about the same reactions with the treadmill. I'm planning to do a 5K with some friends at Disney next year (we all used to work there, so it'll be a fun reunion). I WANT so badly to be a runner. Just so afraid of failure. The pounding hurts like heck on the shins. I'm starting C25K soon. Getting me a new iPod, looking into making my own music tracks with voice prompts, and will soon incorporate into my workout routines.

We'll get there!!!
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    When I started running, I concentrated on distance, not time. I KNOW I'm slow, I just wanted the endurance to run a 5K. I started with .25 miles and worked my way up in .25 increments as I felt comfortable. Sometimes I'd have to go down a notch, sometimes I'd go up two. Pay attention to what your body tells you to minimize injury. I'm thinking 7 days a week would be tough on your body, but maybe day 7 could be a walk day if you just enjoy the activity.
  • serenademechris
    Options
    Couch to 5K is great! You need to mix up your workout routine. Every other day instead of doing walking/running, do a cardio DVD or class or do something like a bike or eliptical which will give your shins a break. You will still be working out and increasing your endurance but your muscles will be used in different ways. Also add some strength training like some weights or weight machines, pilates, etc. A balanced approach is much better. I'm already able to do a 5K (much of it jogging, some it walking) because I've mixed up my workouts. I was not a runner until about a month and a half ago, but I had been doing a lot of cardio and strength training before that.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I downloaded couch to 5k on my ipod. Its tells you when to walk to when to run. It usually starts like this. walk for 5 min for warm up, then it tells you to run for 60 seconds and then walk for 3 minutes. This is for 3 days per week. after week each week it moves you up. Hope it helps.
  • louell33
    louell33 Posts: 85
    Options
    oooh good question....I am starting Couch to 5K next week, so looking forward to the responses :0)
  • lotusblossomctf
    Options
    C25K is a great program, it's 3 days a week at 30mins, and the rest time does make a HUGE difference. I thought is was a weird idea at first, but I do notice that I'm always stronger after a rest day. The regular C25K is a 9week program and you can adjust it as you need to, it's located on coolrunnings.com, and then on beginnertriathlete there's a couple other versions which one is 3 or 5 months and the other is more conservative at 7.
  • lkyeomans
    lkyeomans Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started the couch to 5k a while back...I'm on week 7 now (running 25 min and 4k) I'm hoping to get my time under 35 minfor 5K in the next 6 weeks. They are on facebook so you can post there and get feedback and encouragement like on MFP. The only concern I have for you is that people who have posted that they were running on a treadmill and then went out in the real world are very surprised how difficult it is for them. The program suggests running every other day to give your muscles time to rebuild. In the beginning i would do a few days together to get through the weeks faster but now that I am up to week 7, I am running every other day and biking the opposite days. Good luck and you can friend me if you like. My first 5k is June 4
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Keep the duration the same, but walk a little less each time. Try this approach to work on conditioning... it worked for me initially (many miles ago)

Try to run 5 minutes and walk 1 minute for recovery, repeating until you are done 40 minutes.

The following week, run 6 minutes and walk 1 minutes until you are done 40 minutes.

Every week you add a minute to your run. After 5 weeks, you should be running 10 and 1's.

10 and 1's then become the basis of Long Slow Runs.

You may also want to work on deep breathing during the one minute walking period. I know it sounds weird but I found Yoga very helpful early on in expanding my lung capacity and helping during the one minute recovery walks.

And yes Pangea...7 days per week is too much. I don't even run 7 days a week. Allow your body to rest at least two days a week. It will keep you running and prevent injuries. The biggest source of injuries for new runners is too much, too fast. Rule of thumb is to never exceed last weeks workout by 10% time/distance.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    The Couch to 5K is awesome. I have been a runner and I am starting over again, since I haven't ran in a few years. I really like the build up C25K provides.

DO NOT skimp on shoes, When I started running I did that and paid for it. Now I go to a store that specializes in running shoes (here it's called Running Wild), they matched my foot type to a shoe and I haven't had any problems since.

A really good running bra! These can be expensive too but oh so worth it.

Start at a low speed and work up to faster speeds.

Good luck!!!!
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    Also if you find it too much to do 5 minutes running, you can scale it back a notch or two... it doesn't hurt.

If you can only run for three minutes, so be it... run 3 and walk 1. We can build from there. Remember...This is your program... not some generic C25K program. I am more than happy to help you tailor something that will work for you.

• Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Couch to 5K. I was never a runner until a few months ago. The program takes you through step by step, each day running a little more. On Saturday, I ran (jogged) my first 5K and did it in 36 minutes! :bigsmile: This is the girl who in 7th grade gym class was the slowest person to run the mile. :laugh: I've already signed up for my next 5K in June - can't wait to see if I can improve my time.

I agree with the other advice - keep the duration at ~ 40 minutes, but walk a little less each time. C25K will help you do that. I also recommend getting outside as soon as you can. Running on the treadmill is so much easier because it is keeping you at a steady pace. Outside, you have wind, terrain, and other distractions, but that is real life. I don't know of any 5K races on treadmills. :laugh:

Best of luck! If I can do it, you certainly can!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other advice - keep the duration at ~ 40 minutes, but walk a little less each time. C25K will help you do that. I also recommend getting outside as soon as you can. Running on the treadmill is so much easier because it is keeping you at a steady pace. Outside, you have wind, terrain, and other distractions, but that is real life. I don't know of any 5K races on treadmills. :laugh:
    Hmm. Never thought of that. Thanks!
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    Hmm. Never thought of that. Thanks!

Plus you have the incentive of having to run back to where you started! LOL! There's no easy way out!