How to feed a picky family?

Options
I have a husband and 3 kids and a tight budget, so I certainly cannot afford to cook 2 meals every night, however, my husband won't eat anything. He eats like a 4 year-old and because of this, my kids are picky too. It drives me crazy. My husband will only eat the following items: meat as long as it is overcooked and plain, macaroni and cheese, bread, pop tarts, cantaloupe, and plain white rice. He won't eat sauces, condiments, gravies, and anything cooked in the oven (he says it's a casserole and refuses to eat it) he doesn't eat ANY veggies at ALL. He won't even eat pizza - he scrapes everything off of it and eats the bread. So cooking is torture for me and we end up eating the same 4 or 5 things over and over and they are high in carbs and I want to eat healthier meals, but I can't get my family on board and I cannot afford to cook myself a separate meal every single night. Last night I made a homemade orange chicken glaze and glazed chicken that I lightly coated in flour and cooked in olive oil and served it with rice. My husband ate it, but only because I threatened to stick him in the forehead with a fork :) I am at a loss for things to cook. I can't just say "tough" and cook whatever because then my kids DON'T eat (getting them to eat at all is already a chore). For awhile I said the hell with it and made macaroni and cheese every night - at LEAST they will EAT that. It's exhausting force feeding them every night!!!!! I dunno what to do because my husband flat out refuses to eat most everything, so it is hard to make the kids eat it when Daddy is saying how disgusting it is *eye roll* Of course, he can live on pop tarts and be thin - must be nice!! Any suggestions on how to navigate this one before I go crazy???

Replies

• crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Cook healthy foods that you want. When they get hungry enough, they will eat. =)
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    How about your husband cooks his own food, and you make healthy meals for you and the kids? He's already ruined but you can still influence them. :)

Really though that sounds like a rough situation. I am lucky that my boyfriend is less picky than I am!
  • kjsimps
    kjsimps Posts: 17
    Options
    I actually found an article one time about a study that a University was doing about "picky" eaters who are extreme about their pickyness, and it may be an actual condition. I will be interested to see the results of this study because every single thing they listed as part of the study, my husband fit to a T. I mean, there are picky eaters - but my husband is way above and beyond that!!
  • cfer843625
    Options
    thats a good question... I experience the same thing with my son! Cant wait to hear everyones ideas!! ;o)
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. Cook healthy stuff for you and the kids. He will eventually get hungry and eat them.
    Maybe since he likes macaroni and cheese, have that as a side and something healthy for the main meal.
  • BriannaSkye
    BriannaSkye Posts: 135
    Options
    Make what you want and serve it to the husband and kids every night....there maybe a lot of waste in the beginning but if the kids are hungry and NOTHING else is offered they will give in. If the hubby doesnt like it, tell him to find some extra cash and eat out of site of the children.

Start with mac and cheese with chopped up little veggies mixed thru, if they finish it they get dessert, mixing a few veggies thru will give them the cheesy flavour, its a start lol
  • StartingOver4Me
    Options
    I agree with BriannaSkye!! WHOLE HEARTEDLY!!!!!

My Husband now LOVES healthy food and my kids, well they eat it too most of the time!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Cooking for others can be very frustrating. I would say make one change at a time. Introduce a fruit or veggie to every meal. My kids will eat carrots that are in chicken soup so I found if I chop up carrots and give them a little sautee in a tiny bit of olive oil to soften them a bit then put a bit of poultry seasoning and chicken broth in my pan the kids think carrots rock...and I can do that for just theirs if I don't want my carrots that way. Sometimes apple slices or baby carrots are what are on the plate etc. Once the kids get used to having a fruit or veggie at dinner and lunch (hubby might be a lost cause but put a super small serving on his plate anyway to show the kids) then maybe change the rice to a brown rice or even quinoa...somehow my kids got on board with quinoa easier than brown rice..as did hubby...they didn't feel like I was trying to give them a healthier rice...instead we were trying something new.
    Last...with the kids the rule is they must taste everything ..one fair shake bite...they don't have to eat it after that if they don't like it...but they always have to try one fair shake because maybe hit a homerun and made the best broccoli ever this time...etc...I would work on healthier meals a little at a time and eventually just prepare good dinners and if hubby wants a poptart after dinner so be it...my kids are allowed to make themselves a sandwich after dinner (they are 10,8,6, and 3 and the 3 year old makes a heck of a ham sandwich) so maybe if you do your best your kids will learn about proper nutrition and hubby will either get on board or he will be eating a lot of poptarts...either way...you and the kids will be healthier.
  • safetypins
    Options
    Tell them to suck it up. You cook, you pick the rules.
  • kelsully
    Options
    Oh...in the food network magazine....there was a recipe for mac and cheese soup...I made a few tiny changes like losing the toast on top and I used whole wheat flout etc but the kids loved it and even if you follow the recipe exactly one serving is only 476 cal which isn't bad for a dinner but I easily made some changes and got it under 375 calories...
    mac and cheesesoupvegetarianvegetarian

Brief Introduction or Description

found this recipe in Food Network Magazine...I doubled the recipe to make sure there is enough...
    Ingredients (Press "ENTER" after each ingredient)

Even though you've already entered ingredients above for nutritional calculations, reentering them below in plain english will make your recipe easier for others to read and understand.8 oz elbow macaroni ( 2 cups)
    1 sweet onion minced
    3 carrots minced
    1/2 cup wheat flour
    3 3/4 cups of low sodium chicken broth
    3 3/4 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
    2 1/2 cups milk 2%
    6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded
    6 ounces three cheese blend light shredded
    1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
    Directions

In a soup pot, put minced garlic, onions and carrots over high heat with a 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil....season the veggies with salt pepper, seasoning salt etc...soften veggies for 4-5 minutes

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package

After the veggies are soft, add 1/2 cup flour and stir for a minute then slowly add the chicken broth and vegetable broth...stir and bring to a boil...once it is at a boil cook for another 7-8 minutes.

Once the soup has boiled for 7-8 minutes remove from heat, add noodles, milk and cheese. Stir until warm and cheese is melted...
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    Sounds like the hubby is a lost cause :wink: but when the kids are young is the best time to get them to eat a good variety. I have two VERY picky eaters and this is what has worked for me (for the kids anyway):

First, I don't let them eat anything within about 2-3 hours of dinner time. If they have filled up on snacks, they are less likely to be hungry enough to try new things.

Next, I plan out my menu three months in advance. I know that sounds extreme but I do it to avoid the "eating the same 3 meals" trap. We go three months without a repeat for dinner. Lunch, they get their favorites so they aren't being deprived of them.

Finally, every night, we have three items for dinner: the main course and two vegetables OR the main course, one vegetable and one grain. I serve my kids VERY small portions so they can actually choke it down if they have to. I figure they can always go back for more. They have to finish off two of the three things before they can have anything else to eat for the rest of the evening. Despite their moaning and groaning, THEY WILL NOT STARVE. It has worked like a charm!

Another, kind of separate, idea is to get the kids involved in the cooking. Let them pick out recipes and help you cook. I have been amazed at some of the stuff my kids will eat when I do this!

You can also play a game called "desert island". Make up a "sampler" table to get them to try new things. Tell them that they are stranded on a desert island and they have to pick the one food they want to survive by eating and the one food they would rather starve than eat! Games are great ways to get kids to do things they wouldn't normally do.

Hope some of that helps!
  • kelsully
    Options
    Love desert island...my kids know they don't have to love something to make a meal out of it...if they could stand it if they were stranded on a desert island then they can eat enough of it to make a meal out of it...my 8 year old doesn't love pasta but a good whole grain torteloni and she can "stand it if I were stranded"...and she will eat enough of it to not be hungry when she leaves the table.