Visual Stimulation

Options
Experts say that keeping clothes that are too small for you as motivation DOESN'T work, but they never said anything about photos!

I have "trouble spots" in my house: the drawer where the candy is kept, the jar with the cookies, cupboard with the potato chips... you get the idea. And if I know anything about the battle of the bulge, you have trouble spots too. What I've done is put a photo of myself where I looked absolutely AMAZING--and quite a few pounds lighter--right on the lid of that jar! If you don't have photos of you from a time when you were happy with your weight, magazines are FULL of bodies I wish I had! While it may look a little ridiculous to other people in the house, these photos give me that instant visual reminder of what I once had or what I would like to look like. Just seeing my body like that makes the end more real and attainable.

**REMEMBER! We're not trying to have the body of an 80-pound pixie here! Be realistic with your goal setting and your photo inspiration. Take into consideration your genetics and your body frame structure. I personally will probably never weigh 130 pounds and look good. Therefore, I'm not going to post photos of some anorexic chick all over my house.

Make your motivations positive and you'll be more likely to succeed!

Replies

• BrieflyForgotten
    Options
    Experts say that keeping clothes that are too small for you as motivation DOESN'T work, but they never said anything about photos!

I have "trouble spots" in my house: the drawer where the candy is kept, the jar with the cookies, cupboard with the potato chips... you get the idea. And if I know anything about the battle of the bulge, you have trouble spots too. What I've done is put a photo of myself where I looked absolutely AMAZING--and quite a few pounds lighter--right on the lid of that jar! If you don't have photos of you from a time when you were happy with your weight, magazines are FULL of bodies I wish I had! While it may look a little ridiculous to other people in the house, these photos give me that instant visual reminder of what I once had or what I would like to look like. Just seeing my body like that makes the end more real and attainable.

**REMEMBER! We're not trying to have the body of an 80-pound pixie here! Be realistic with your goal setting and your photo inspiration. Take into consideration your genetics and your body frame structure. I personally will probably never weigh 130 pounds and look good. Therefore, I'm not going to post photos of some anorexic chick all over my house.

Make your motivations positive and you'll be more likely to succeed!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I once had a picture of 5 pounds of real fat on my fridge!
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

:sick: I bet that did the trick!
  • BrieflyForgotten
    Options

My mom actually had a one-pound block of fake fat that she kept in the cupboard. It was disgusting, and I think the dog ended up chewing it so we had to throw it out. :ohwell:
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I will always have the image in my head of what Oprah Winfrey did on her show sometime in the late 80's or early 90's---she had recently lost something like 65 pounds, so she put 65 pounds of FAT (who knows where she got it? I think it was beef...) in a red wagon and pulled it onto the stage. Talk about gross! It was a HUGE pile o' fat, just rolling across the stage. :noway:
  • jenrobi
    Options
    I was going to go the other direction. I was going to print out a picture of me when I was at my largest. I think this will be a lot of motivation for me. Maybe I should also put a pic at when I was at my thinnest, which was only 165 but I felt fantastic. I am only 10 pounds heavier right now, but the weight is completely different since I had my son.

Great idea, I never thought of putting the good ones up! hehe