Medication and Weight Loss

Options
I am currently taking Seroquel along with Prestiq for Bipolar disorder. One of the major side effects of Seroquel is weight gain. I am and have been eating carefully and excercising and the scale hasn't budged except for up a pound or two and I am very frustrated. So, I am thinking that maybe the Seroquel is hindering my weight loss and I am not sure what I should do. The Seroquel also helps me get to sleep at night and with out it I am an insomia mess. Any advice on what I should do?? :grumble:

Replies

• safetypins
    Options
    I would consult your doctor. They can be really helpful with things to do while still remaining on the medication.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I am on Effexor XR & it also affects weight loss. But without it, I can be either a psyco beeoch or an emotional mess. So I weigh the options & deal with the slowed down weight loss. But that is my choice.
    So the only advice that I can give you is to talk to your doctor & see what your options are. .
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I don't think any medication can add fat to your body...I think the weight gain is more water retention. I could be wrong, but that is what I have found.

I had a similar conversation with my ob about weight gain and birth control....so I am not completely talking out of my butt. LOL

Anyway, since it is probably water weight, maybe upping your water intake to compensate will help? Maybe your doc can prescribe a water pill if he feels it necessary.

JMHO

Oh, and edited to say that, in my case, when I was on Effexor, I noticed I did have an increased appetite.... so yeah, if I would have given in to it, I would have gained weight too. :)
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    Medicines for bipolar usually make you put on weight. They slow down your metabolism. You can try small frequent meals, maybe 6 times a day if you are not doing that already. But if you decide to take any supplement, do consult your doctor first.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am meant to start lithium for bipolar and am too scared to do so because of the weight gain. I tried Wellbutrin for about 2 weeks which did two things - preempted a manic episode and also made me gain 8 kilos in 2 weeks (!). I'm trying to lose the weight now and am too nervous to start lithium in case the same thing happens :(

Would be interested to hear what your dr says although in my experience they downplay the role the meds have in weight gain.
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters- I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. Tell him your frustrations and see if there's anything you can do to counter-act the weight gain. I agree that it is probably water retention more than fat retention, and maybe there is a way to fix that. Good luck hun!
  • mobaypop
    mobaypop Posts: 15
    Options
    I know how you feel. I am on Lithium and Sertraline. I was overweight any way but since taking lithium I have put on more. This of course could be down to eating too much. If I mention it to the doctor they just say the benifits out way the side effects.

I plan to seriously try to lose weight so I can be honest if its me or the meds.