Slow burn...Need help!

Options
Hi All,

I need some motivation and help! Although I signed up with MFP 1 month ago, I haven't really "introduced" myself ...So here I go...The main reason I'm here is to get support from many of you who have been very successful in your journey to healthier "you" and the ones who believe they're on their way there.

My weight has always been a major frustration in my life: it has very often gone 15-20 lbs up and down – all within the same year, for years…(I am 35 years old). I mostly tried losing weight by creating a very low-calorie deficit , and I would be successful at first, but was never able to sustain such quick weight-loss…so I would gain it back. I want to do it differently this time and do it slowly (3-6lbs a month) to really get used to healthier eating habits. So far, I’ve lost 3.2 lbs and since I am exercising (eating most of my exercise calories), I could see the difference (literally see it better than the scale shows!). So, in retrospect, although, I would welcome a faster weight loss (5-6 lbs per months, rather than the 3.2lbs per month for me so far), I am happy I have lost some weight!
Here’s my challenge: I would really like to lose about 5-6 lbs per week and it seems to be very difficult for me…I have always weighed around 135-145lbs, but have gained 20lbs in the past three years. I am currently at 163.8lbs and would be very happy to go down to (as my 1st goal) 137lbs by August 5.

Is this possible? Have any of you struggled with wanting to lose weight faster? If yes, would you please let me know some of the ways you use to achieve this? What you netted on the average? Also, did you wear the HM? Also, do any of you ever have the days when they just eat a lot 9say extra 1,000-1,500 over your maintanence calories. Since I started taking notes on MFP, I realized (more like was able to really see it in black and white) that I have these days every 7-10 days. What are some of the ways you suggest I can avoid these days?

I appreciate all the help you could offer as I think beginning of something different is always both exciting and scary!!!

Replies

• adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

You really shouldn't be losing that much per week. about 2 lbs per week is a big win. People with a lot more to lose may be able to pull off more that 2, but that doesn't even always happen!

Sending friend request :)
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I would say if you're striving to lose 5-6 lbs per week, and you've had that result in the past, that could be part of the reason you're yo-yo'ing with weight. 1-2 lbs per week, a slow loss.... is best for keeping it off. And really, even if you lost 1.5 per week, you'll hit your goal in 20 weeks. 20! That sounds so close! :)
  • kevweath
    kevweath Posts: 6
    Options
    Why do you want to lose faster?

It isn't that this can't be done - but it isn't the healthy or smart thing to do.

If you focus on eating well and getting exercise, not losing weight, you will do something that is much more sustainable.

My advice is to focus on living in a way that the weight comes off and stays off. Speed dieting almost always leads to crash dieting and then you bounce back.
  • mandyash2285
    Options
    Hi, i have only been using mfp for a little while now and i have noticed a big difference, as far as the HM u dont have to buy one just do it urself, its cheaper and more efficient. also up ur H2O intake. I have went from drinking 1 bottle a day to drinking 3-4 a day. I use crystal lite or flavored water which is easier for me to drink. Also i have started finding reasons to go up and down my stairs so that i can get more movement. Not to mention my hubby and i have made challenges with each other like i have to do half of the time he does on the eliptical. Little things make a difference. Hope that helps and good luck
  • zoezoe11
    zoezoe11 Posts: 15
    Options
    oops! I meant I wanted to lose 5-6lbs per MONTH.....:smile:
  • kimif1
    kimif1 Posts: 9
    Options
    If you lose that fast you will for sure put it back on. Slower is always better. I'm using the 17 Day Diet, it's so easy. You can buy the book on walmart.com, it's real food and very easy. Some people were losing 10-17 lbs a day when they first started. it was on Dr. Phil. even if you don' t get here is one tip that we do every morning first thing is a half lemon in a cup of warm water and green tea with every meal. Good luck
  • zoezoe11
    zoezoe11 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks--I wanted to lose about 1.5 lbs per week, but really managing about .8 so far...I am happy with it and will be happy to know i would be losing around 38 lbs in a year...just thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions for losing a bit "faster"...thanks again!:happy:
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    any loss is good, dont put strict goals on yourself or you will get fed up and comfort eat!