Lentils

Options
CALLING ALL LENTIL RECIPES!

Do you have any faves you'd recommend trying? I need to try something new!

TIA

Replies

• ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I just boil them with ham hocks- so I am going to bump this, because I need new ideas too!!
  • becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lorika1977
    lorika1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Morrocan Lentil Soup - absolutely fantastic!
    http://www.food.com/recipe/true-moroccan-lentil-soup-140633

Good luck!
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    I cut OUT the bacon and chicken broth (replace with veg broth)...but JUST a flavorful!!

Onion, Bacon,and Brown Lentil Skillet

YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups)
    Ingredients
    6 center-cut bacon slices
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped carrot
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 cup dried brown lentils
    1 cup water
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
    1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Crumble bacon; set aside. Add onion to drippings in pan; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add carrot, celery, thyme, and garlic; cook for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add broth, lentils, and 1 cup water; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until lentils are just tender. Uncover and increase heat to medium-high; cook 6 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in parsley and pepper. Sprinkle with bacon.

Amount per serving
    Calories: 278
    Calories from fat: 21%
    Fat: 6.4g
    Saturated fat: 2.3g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
    Protein: 18.6g
    Carbohydrate: 38.5g
    Fiber: 13.8g
    Cholesterol: 11mg
    Iron: 5.5mg
    Sodium: 534mg
    Calcium: 80mg
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I LOVE lentils! we boil them with some cajun (no salt) spices and add them to out salads! Talk about nutritionally sound! We also eat them as a side with a bit of italian seasoning. They are great mixed in with pasta as well!
  • MissPalmer
    Options
    This is my favorite recipe.. its realllly goood!!
    Serves 6-

Ingredients

1 onion, chopped
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 carrots, diced
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    2 cups dry lentils
    8 cups water
    1/2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    salt to taste
    ground black pepper to taste
    Directions

In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
    Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.
    Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 349 | Total Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 0mg

Theres a lot more on allrecipes.com -- I love this site cos it actually have calories in it.. well most of them! :)
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Preparation
    1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Crumble bacon; set aside. Add onion to drippings in pan; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add carrot, celery, thyme, and garlic; cook for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add broth, lentils, and 1 cup water; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until lentils are just tender. Uncover and increase heat to medium-high; cook 6 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in parsley and pepper. Sprinkle with bacon.

Amount per serving

Does that calorie count include where you leave out the bacon and chicken broth or are they included in the count?! Sounds yummy!
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    Preparation

Amount per serving

Does that calorie count include where you leave out the bacon and chicken broth or are they included in the count?! Sounds yummy!
    Thats INCLUIDING the bacon and chicken broth - so mine ends up being LESS cals then that! :happy:
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I make lentil soup vegetarian style. So easy, dump in whatever cans of beans you like, plus your lentils throw in a bit of garlic and salt. That simple. you can't screw up lentils. I don't put any meat in at all, why ruin a great soup with nasty fattening pork and such? Gross!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Yay, thanks for the ideas everyone! Definately going to try the lentil skillet tonight to have for lunch and such later this week...and then try a soup as well.

I have always loved lentils but use to only have them when my mom added them to her beef stew. Now years later when things are so dang expensive, I'm trying to find more cost effective things to try...and lentils made it back on my list! HOORAY! :love:
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • lesrod82
    lesrod82 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe I use. It's the recipe my mom used when we were growing up.

16 oz lentils
    2 tsp salt
    1 tbsp olive oil
    ¼ med onion, diced
    1 small tomato, diced
    1 handful cilantro, chopped
    1 clove garlic
    1 tbsp tomato base

Wash lentils in a colander. Bring lentils to boil in a 2 qt sauce pan with enough water to cover 1 ½” over the surface of the lentils. Reduce heat to med-low, add salt and simmer for 15-20 min. Heat olive oil in a separate pan and lightly fry onion, tomato, garlic, and cilantro. Add stir fry and tomato base to lentil pot. Periodically check water level of lentil pot and check for salt content. Simmer until lentils are tender.

Hope you like it.