TGIF for dinner. Are there ANY good options?

Options
Hey guys! My awesome daughter (10) just came home with her third quarter report card full of ALL A's. So proud of her! Whenever she gets all A's we let her pick someplace for us to go as a family for dinner. This had never been a problem for me in the past because I was just shoving whatever crap I wanted into my mouth. Now...well, let's just say I'm a little more careful about my meals. And she wants to go to TGI Friday's tonight, a place where even a salad will cost me 800+ calories.

I allow myself cheats, but I always try to make them things that I will really, really LOVE. I'm not really looking forward to dinner tonight, and eating something full of calories that isn't my favorite thing in the world.

I've been looking at the TGIF nutritional info, and nothing is looking fantastic. Blah. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Replies

• sandral73
    sandral73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I usually get the Petite Sirloin (6oz) with double brocolli no butter... Perfect MFP meal!
  • YPabe
    YPabe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Watch your portions. You'll get half the cals if you just eat half of whaterver you order (plates are normally pretty big)
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Their dragon fire chicken is pretty good, its 450-500 calories. C:
  • minni2906
    minni2906 Posts: 182
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't count calories, so I'm not sure my advice will help you.

I count carbs and whenever I go to Friday's I get the Sizzling Chicken and Shrimp. Chicken and shrimp have minimal to NO carbs. How awesome for me!! Hahahah. I did just go back and check my food log... according to MFP, one plate of the Sizzling Chicken and Shrimp is only 535 Calories, so perhaps it's a good option for you too; assuming that you're not a vegetarian and you like seafood... Hahaha.

Good luck, enjoy, and congrats to your daughter!!
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above.

The California Club sandwich is good. If you only eat half (which is plenty to make you feel full) it's only about 350+ calories.

Their petite sirloin is yummy too.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Go to Cohesco.com and go into Nutrition, hit restaurants. You can get all Nutritional Info about many chain restaurants. Then you can make informed decisions before you eat out.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    KEY WEST SHRIMP!! Two skewers with veggies (and a bit of rice I think..>i cannot remember!)

Anyway, it is something crazy low like 350 calories or something.

sodium is high, of course!!!
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Oooo, you guys are fantastic, thanks! Those all sound like good options. I've noticed that since I've been better about adding healthy snacks I don't need those huge portions anymore, so I'll definitely be eating less than a whole plate! Feeling much better about my options. Thanks again!
  • delightednow
    Options
    I order a something healthy... steak or grilled fish...when ur meal is delivered ask for a to go box and put half of ur plate in the box asap...outta sight outta mind... you will eat less.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Do they still have the Barbecue Jack Chicken that comes with broccoli instead of mashed potatoes?? I haven't been there in a while, but I remember that being not too terrible on calories (around 500-600 range) and tasted pretty good. But then I like the JD sauce!
  • brendansmom1
    Options
    KEY WEST SHRIMP!! Two skewers with veggies (and a bit of rice I think..>i cannot remember!)

Anyway, it is something crazy low like 350 calories or something.

sodium is high, of course!!!

d
    Search our food database by name:

Matching Foods:
    Sort by: Relevance Name

* *T g I Friday's - Key West Shrimp

* = Nutritional information provided by another MyFitnessPal member
    Nutrition Facts
    Edit
    T g I Friday's - Key West Shrimp

1. Servings:

Calories 225 Sodium 625 mg
    Total Fat 7 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 1 g Total Carbs 4 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 5 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 33 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I bet the salads are okay if you don't use the dressing and ask to hold the croutons, etc... I often bring my own in a small little ziploc or screw-top tuppeware-ish thing. Also, don't forget to drink 2 big glasses of water before you leave home!!

The other options people suggested sounded good too. I half portion it too when I'm someplace I feel isn't healthy.

Also, in the future if your family is supportive, why not give your kids three options to choose from that work for all of you instead of open-ended picking?

In any case, enjoy the fact that you are conscious of your choices and what you're putting into your body this time, it's accomplishments like that we often don't give ourselves credit for. You're thinking ahead, putting your health first, and planning and making informed choices.....great job!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I love the cob salad minus the blu cheese, olives and 2/3 of the bacon. Vinegar & oil for dressing or lite balsemic. The salad is huge and very fulfilling.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    *sits on hands for fear of getting locked out*
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I like the Key West shrimp, with double broccoli, no rice. It's really tasty!
  • brendansmom1
    Options
    *sits on hands for fear of getting locked out*

Now, now....there are some good options there. LOL