What are your net calories on average a day?

Options
Jillatha
Jillatha Posts: 85 Member
Just wondering what everyone ends up with for the net calories - Today mine is 291

It is now 318 because I have had a cup of tea :) I am thinking about increasing it hence the post, I just need to find the balence between eating more to be healthy and slipping back into eating more and gaining.

Replies

• Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    anywhere from 150-450!
  • kendraleem
    Options
    Wow!!!! You lost 103lbs? That is so awesome :):happy:
  • worldwarmichael
    Options
    Your net calories should be whatever MFP has set for your daily goal. If its super low it means you're not eating back enough of your work out calories. This can make your body go into starvation mode which isnt a good thing.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My net is usually as close to 1200 as I can get it . Although the past couple of weeks there has been some low days because of the stress I've been under. Don't think my net has ever been less then 600 though,even if I am stressed I try to at least get it over 900.
  • marthamae813
    marthamae813 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Mines 508. Whats net calories mean?
  • Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sorry! I meant that is what I dont eat, not what I do eat!!!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Mines 508. Whats net calories mean?

The amount of calories your body has to function off of for the day. So if you eat 1200 and burn 700 then your net cals are 500. Typically your net cals should not be under 1200.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Unless your way over 1200 calories per day, you really shouldn't have much if any leftover. If so, maybe it is time to re-do the profile and work towards the 1200 calories per day.

I do have leftovers but I am working back towards 1200 after surgery.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Your net calories should be whatever MFP has set for your daily goal. If its super low it means you're not eating back enough of your work out calories. This can make your body go into starvation mode which isnt a good thing.

bearing in mind she has lost 103lbs, i dont really think this proves that point
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    awesome work Jillatha by the way , mine is -135 today
  • goddessofmath
    goddessofmath Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Mine tends to be around 200-400 leftover. I get nervous eating right up to 0 calories left for some reason. :)
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I keep records of this to a point. I could compute the net but My leftover calories is 1072 average per day. Amazing to me.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    average around 2000 net or 2200-2400 total.

you folks in the triple digits - you're doing it wrong.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    my net lately has been around 1000
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    As close to my MFP goal as possible.
  • goddessofmath
    goddessofmath Posts: 39 Member
    Options

You mean people netting (eating) in the triple digits? I totally agree. That's not enough fuel.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

bearing in mind she has lost 103lbs, i dont really think this proves that point

Disagree. The reason the OP has lost 103 pounds is because she had that excess to lose. As a person get closer and closer to their ideal weight, the body will no longer have those fat reserves to call upon and will start using muscle for energy rather than fat. So, while the OP should be commended for losing that much weight and working so hard, I would encourage her and everyone else to eat your exercise calories. If you don't or can't eat them all, at least try to get half of them down.

When you are just starting on here and have a lot to lose, it may not make that much of a difference whether you eat them or not. However, part of MFP is learning how to live a healthy lifestyle with good habits and sustainable weight loss. Fueling your body properly is an essential part of that process and one that we all have to learn at some point.

I would suggest reading the two links in my signature for more detailed info on why eating those exercise calories is so important. Good luck to you all.
  • Jillatha
    Jillatha Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I can't be doing it that wrong though, I admit I may be netting too low now I have increased my exercise hence this post to see what others are doing :)
  • shellbell2312
    Options
    isn't your net calories how many calories you've eaten? Like today I've had 914 which means my net is 914
  • rainbowdarling
    rainbowdarling Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Usually around 1500, but it varies day to day. Yesterday I barely broke 1200 but there are days when I struggle to stay in my range. Never netted below 1200, though.