Anyone with bipolar disorder?

Options
Hi - I know many people suffer from this illness and many of the medications cause weight gain - I have also suffered from this illness and have been struggling to get my old self back again - thought it might be nice to have others to chat with on the boards who deal with this.

Replies

• xabbix
    xabbix Posts: 14
    Options
    hey :) i know EXACTLY how you feel. The medication is horrible as it makes you put on weight so quickly. Do you find that when youre on a high you want to eat and when youre on a low you cant eat... or the other way around?
    add me if you want :) always here for support xxx
  • Toaster88
    Toaster88 Posts: 146
    Options
    If you're still watching, add me. I'm Bipolar, and medicated. Luckily, my Wife works for a medical provider, so my Doctor took the care to dial in my meds presicely. I was originally (by another doctor) dignosed as depressive, and was mis-medicated. I didn't go back for years to be re-diagnosed, and know that our lows are not normal lows (I was there).
  • enwethiel
    enwethiel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am Bipolar I and currently medicated. I am on Seroquel which caused me to gain 65 lbs in 6 months. I am currently weaning off of it and on to Abilify, and am on 1/2 my previous dose. Since I have been serious about my weight loss I have lost 13 pounds in the span of a month and a half. Once i'm completely off the Seroquel I hope that I'll be able to get all this extra weight off. I know the I'm going to be on these medications for the rest of my life, so I'm trying really hard to start a routine I can keep up with. I am here for support about weight loss and bipolar issues!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar along with another mental health diagnosis. I am on Welbutrin, Zoloft, and Invega. I have slowly put on a few pounds. However, the medication that really made me gain weight was Zyprexa. It was horrible! It made me balloon up! I am hoping with my increased activity level I will be able to come off of the anti-dpressants. My main problem is with racing thoughts that keep me from sleeping.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed bipolar 2 probably six years ago now. Tried various medications, with no luck. My body doesn't do well with drugs in general. More than eating when I'm up, I tend to drink excessively. When I'm down is when I overeat. Both lead to weight gain :-(

Good news is - more than anything else, exercise and a healthy diet tend to stabilize my moods :-)
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My husband has Bipolar II. He has really struggled with the weigh tloss. He was doing good, but then has gained 10 pounds back.

I suffer from depression.
  • Jenny2011
    Jenny2011 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi everyone I just wanted to revive this thread and maybe get some motivational friends from it :) I have recently had to increase my medication and the weight creeped up about 4 lbs in the last couple of weeks. Today I started back to the gym and I am bound and determined to get into a size 12 from H&M next year at this time - I am tired of looking at all my nice clothing and not being able to fit into any of it. I hope to hear from some of you soon :)
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Determination and mind set are everything. I think often times people make things much more difficult than they need to be. Perhaps it is just another way of making excuses.

Stick with your focus, and find your will power. Continue with the gym, watch your diet (it isn't viewable, so not sure how you are doing there), and the pounds will drop back off!
  • Jenny2011
    Options
    Thanks for the support Corsay - I am doing better with diet - still work to do there - I am glad to be back to exercise - as hard as it is LOL
  • ashade44
    ashade44 Posts: 27
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean with the medication... I'm so thankful to finally be on something that doesn't make it worse. I had stopped taking everything they tried because of the ridiculous weight gain, but thankfully am on stuff now that doesn't seem to have that effect. Hang in there :)
  • Toaster88
    Toaster88 Posts: 146
    Options
    Same here with the meds. They've really dialed mine in, and I am in better control to stick with my losing. Luckily they haven't caused any gain.
  • Jenny2011
    Options
    Hi Toaster - thanks for adding me as a friend - hopefully we can all see some kind results!
  • eviegirl1
    eviegirl1 Posts: 11
    Options
    yes I have bipolar. happy to be friends with other MFP members who have bipolar in their lives. I am mid 40's, living in Western Australia. Mother of two.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    i have bipolar
    and i am crashing from mania as of now.