Oddball Produce Flavors - Why?

Options
I swear I just took a bite of an apple with grape flavored undertones. This isn't the first time this has happened - or the only variation. One time my apple tasted a bit like corn on the cob.

No clue why. Anyone?

Replies

• mom2chase09
    Options
    they do have "grapples" that are a cross btw apples and grapes...Ive never had them though. Kinda weird to me lol
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Stop buying your apples from a roadside truck? lol I have never heard of an apple tasting like corn on the cob. One bad apple?? Sometimes your brain interprets things wrong. I've heard of stroke victims smelling things differently. Maybe you just have sinus issues? No idea...
  • TeteDeLaCourse
    Options
    Can't help with your question but I had to congratulate you on your fantastic weight loss!! Wow!! Very impressive.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Sinus issues are always possible. :-D Considering the apples are from Aldi I doubt they're an expensive cross-breed, though. :-D
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    I remember right after surgery I was like that for months. Then it went away.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    they do have "grapples" that are a cross btw apples and grapes...Ive never had them though. Kinda weird to me lol

My wife bought some grapples.

She took a bite and didn't like, then the lovely dear offered it to me. LOL!

It was like some twisted version of Adam and Eve,
  • Rworthy
    Options

My wife bought some grapples.

She took a bite and didn't like, then the lovely dear offered it to me. LOL!

It was like some twisted version of Adam and Eve,
    Why have I never heard of grapples?! lol Were they big like apples or small like grapes? I'm googling this! haha
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    That might be a grapple you ate. I think they're delicious...but a little too soft for my apple crispness needs.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Being a former wal mart produce employee we would randomly take syringes and shoot up flavors in the diffrent fruits,sometimes we would shoot them up with pure sugar to change the calorie count MWHAHAHAHAHA

j/k
  • Rworthy
    Options
    Grapples are B.S.http://www.grapplefruits.com/process.html

Disappointed this isn't a hybrid fruit!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Grapples aren't an expensive cross breed actually. I find 'em all over the place at regular grocery stores and Walmarts. Oddly, the only places I've never seen them are the markets I buy most of my produce from. :) It's possible that a grapple ended up in a pile of another kind of apple and you picked it up by accident.

And really, the bulk the apple varieties out there crossbreeds. Jazz, Braeburn, etc. are all crossbreeds of other "standard" apple varieties. Though, I rarely pick up anything other than fujis most of the time. They're my favorite. :D
  • ashahl
    ashahl Posts: 81
    Options
    YES! The other day I swear my apple tasted like coffee it was so weird and gross! Why is that?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Oh, and apples are super porous, so they absorb flavors from other items near them. I once threw one in a bag with a baggie of beef jerky for road trip snacking and my apple tasted like beef jerky by the time I ate it. lol
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Being a former wal mart produce employee we would randomly take syringes and shoot up flavors in the diffrent fruits,sometimes we would shoot them up with pure sugar to change the calorie count MWHAHAHAHAHA

j/k
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Did you roll them in apartame, too? :-D
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I heard grapples were made by injecting artificial grape flavoring into apples. Wherever I read it, I can't remember, it said it was the same flavoring used in grape jolly ranchers, That can't be good if it's true. I'll stick to my Fuji.