Nutrition Careers

Options
Right now I'm feeling a little lost and overwhelmed. The more information I'm learning about health & fitness, the more I think I want to make a career out of it. Nutrition was never something I thought about going into in the past. In fact, I have a Bachelors degree in Psychology, & I'm finishing the 1st year of my Master's program in Child & Adolescent Counseling. I've come to realize that I LOVE learning about Psychology, but I don't think it's a career I want to be involved in. However, nutrition is something I want to learn more about, as well as apply it to my (and other people's) life. I'm so confused about where to turn now. I don't want to get deeper into my graduate classes if it's not something I intend to do in the future. Right now I'm only working part-time at Starbucks, but it's just not what I want. I'd love to have some sort of job in the health field. I want to find something that appeals to me, but doesn't require a degree in Dietetics since I don't have one. If anyone has any answers or information on nutrition careers/jobs, please let me know! I'm also worried about switching to Dietetics because I've gone so far in Psychology. I feel as if it's a waste, or I'll be starting all over again ..

Replies

• LaraBoBara
    LaraBoBara Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Why don't you do like personal training? Those are separate classes you could take. And you don't have to quit school completely. You could take a break, try something out and come back if you don't like it. Life is too short girlfriend.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Look into Sports or Health Psychology. I'm doing Sports Psych. It's more about player/team/coach dynamics and performance anxiety and motivation than health Psych, but I know health psychology is a field you can get into.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Have you given any thought to working with eating disorders? Your background along with an interest in nutrition would make you perfect for that area, you might be able to get additional certification in counseling directed towards eating disorders and not have to give up all the work you have done towards your masters. With a BA in psych, a 4 year degree in nutrition or a masters in nutrition would mean alot more work, most nutrition degrees are science based, a BS or MS. As you probably alredy know, there is a ton of psych issues around people and food, maybe figure out a way to combine the two?
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    your current degree will help you in a health career. Use it to work for you. This would be a great combination. Most people are fat or out of shape because of some sort of phycological problem. LIke eating for comfort or every time there is stress or for all sorts fo reasons that you could help them resolve while guiding them in the right direction to optimal health. MIND AND BODY Perfect combo. GO FOR IT>:)!!!!!!!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should combine the two, maybe ultimately open a weight loss center for adults and children that includes therapy sessions into WHY the eat & develop the patterns they have (like my parents were mean about my weight and let my sister eat "bad" foods infront of me I couldnt have because I was fat so I hid it and binged) and then guide them on the right path being there to be supportive and find new ways to overcome going backwards/falling off the wagon/hitting aphysical or mental block