blood donation

Options
Hi. I've been here three months or so, but this is my first post. :) Tomorrow, my place of business is having a blood drive. I want to donate, but I figured I should ask first....is there anything I need to do differently, such as eat more calories for the day or something like that? I don't really want to pass out. :)

Replies

• erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Drink an extra 1 or 2 cups of water, and make sure you're getting enough iron in your diet. Also, bring a protein bar! I eat 1/2 before donating blood and 1/2 after with whatever juice they give you. Plan to have a nice relaxing evening after you get home -- no cardio or weights!
  • heididormanen
    Options
    not before.. just make sure you have some carbs after.. jiuce, fruit or whatever.. normally they bring snack but just make sure you are not wobbley before you leave.

and great job for donating!!!!
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water, be well hydrated...also, make sure you eat a substantial meal before giving....you dont want to get dizzy or lightheaded during the process
  • SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Kuddos to you for donating ....

Wish I could - but a Hep B infection back in the late 80's renders me ineligible to donate period (really bums me out)
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    Thank you for donating! As one who types, screens and readies the units for emergency transfusion, we are thankful for the donors. Especially all of you O NEG people. We need you!
    :flowerforyou:
  • ammingjay
    ammingjay Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I donate blood alot, and I typically have borderline iron levels (most women do). The night before eat red meat (I treat myself to a steak) or dark greens (raw spinach also works). The day of EAT BREAKFAST! Avoid caffine and drink water. Afterwards drink lots of juice and water. I try to eat lunch before and another snack after. I have not eaten after and trust me that's a mistake! I keep gummy bears and crackers in my purse that day in case I feel woozy and need a blood sugar boost.

I also don't worry about counting calories that day, in fact I don't even log it... I eat my normal foods plus extra since I have fainted before.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I just donated last week.....just make sure you are well hydrated
    I ate a small snack before going & then had an orange juice after giving blood
    have a nice dinner & take it easy the rest of the night....no cardio or strength training

give yourself a "High 5" for donating!!!!!
    great job!! :flowerforyou:
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Thank you for donating! As one who types, screens and readies the units for emergency transfusion, we are thankful for the donors. Especially all of you O NEG people. We need you!

I'm an O Neg and want to donate, I'm just really afraid of needles. :embarassed: Absolutely hate the things. It's not the blood loss that makes me woozey, its just thinking about the needles. Last week when I took my wife to the ER, I had to leave the room when they put in and took out the IV (almost fainted when I saw them prepping). It took four people, including my mom and the ER police officer to hold me down when I got stitches above my eye when I was younger.

Hate hate hate needles.

Still, I want to donate and that's one of my goals this year. To donate blood.
  • Chickabittie
    Options

I'm an O Neg and want to donate, I'm just really afraid of needles. :embarassed: Absolutely hate the things. It's not the blood loss that makes me woozey, its just thinking about the needles. Last week when I took my wife to the ER, I had to leave the room when they put in and took out the IV (almost fainted when I saw them prepping). It took four people, including my mom and the ER police officer to hold me down when I got stitches above my eye when I was younger.

Hate hate hate needles.

WOW.

Maybe there are techniques you can use to try to desensitize yourself regarding needles. I don't know, I'm not an expert at this, but start looking at photos of needles, and you can click off when it gets too much. Then progress from there. To eventually looking at a real one, and holding it, etc and then getting your blood drawn, and then your goal of giving blood. It is a precious gift. I've seen it save lives.
  • bigmamma3
    bigmamma3 Posts: 134
    Options
    i want to give blood but i had two blood transfusions when i was 19 as my white blood cells decided to kill my red ones and i nearly died. so im not aloud to give
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Hate hate hate needles.

I'm O neg too. I have no problem with needles, but my body doesn't handle giving blood very well. I have tried all sorts of tips and tricks, but no matter what I do I wind up puking or nearly passing out. I usually start to feel icky about half way though the donation. Every few years I go give blood, get sick and feel like crap for the rest of the day, then swear I'm never doing it again. Then I'll want to try again, try to prepare well. Last time I tried some newish kind of donation where they take your red blood cells and return the liquid to you. (I thinks that's what it was, anyway they take part of the blood and return part of it) they said I'd be less likely to get sick. Yeah, I puked not once, but twice. Good times.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Hate hate hate needles.

I'm not a fan of needles either. I just completely turn my head away and look at something else. Two seconds later, the needle is in and the worst part is over. If you tell them you really hate needles, they will have someone come and chat with you to distract you.
  • BSN2Be
    BSN2Be Posts: 23
    Options

Hate hate hate needles.

I'm O neg too. I have no problem with needles, but my body doesn't handle giving blood very well. I have tried all sorts of tips and tricks, but no matter what I do I wind up puking or nearly passing out. I usually start to feel icky about half way though the donation. Every few years I go give blood, get sick and feel like crap for the rest of the day, then swear I'm never doing it again. Then I'll want to try again, try to prepare well. Last time I tried some newish kind of donation where they take your red blood cells and return the liquid to you. (I thinks that's what it was, anyway they take part of the blood and return part of it) they said I'd be less likely to get sick. Yeah, I puked not once, but twice. Good times.
    I think you're talking about donating (or selling in many cases) plasma. Some people just don't handle blood donation well. It's a combination of their body, but also some people have the mind set that something will go wrong - and then they have a physiological reaction such as passing out or vomiting. Then the cycle starts all over again for every donation. It's largely psychological.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I donate every 8 weeks. Drink lots of water before, and eat a good meal. After make sure you eat some snacks (carbs) and drink a fruit juice, and keepa low activity day, espically after. I learned last time I gave not to skimp on caloires and the fruit juice after, as I was trying to be good on here, but with donation and the lack of good nutrients after I passed out.
    Make sure to listen to your body, if you feel light headed drink a juice or grab something to eat.