Self-hate tips?

Options
13»

Replies

• Lose30x30
    Options
    This thread was fantastically helpful, thank you everyone - I've reached out to a few of you, but feel free to add or message me, too.
  • ToughHippieChick
    ToughHippieChick Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I just recently decided to love myself.
    I realized that by hating myself, I was being a self-absorbed negative person. It's a shame that I wasted nearly 40 years being an egocentric debby downer, because I'm really pretty dang awesome. :laugh:
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I do! I tell myself to "stop!", I'll even say it out loud, IF I'm alone, of course. I then find positive things to tell myself. It'll take time and I'll keep fighting the negative neuroglogical nancy's.
    I think you are caught in a cycle of "negative self talk". Try to gain control of it by telling yourself "Stop!!" When these thoughts start. Then have a "rational reply" ready to substitute and tell yourself, like, "I am working on changing this and it is Okay that it will take time". You might want to look into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, self-help books. Negative self talk is an expanding cycle that will continue to bring you down, if you don't learn techniques to deal with it. Good luck and I am sure you are lovely!
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr. David M. Burns. It changed my life and my outlook on life.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've found I'm currently struggling with the way I look.

I know I've lost the weight by the scales, my clothes, people constantly telling me. But I seem to be finding it hard to reconcile the imagine in the mirror with the one in my head. It's nuts but last year I lost 14lbs here (regained it on holiday - keto water weight). I actually felt "thinner" then than I do now? And I've lost that again AND 3st one top!

I guess before I just looked at the overall picture of myself and dismissed it because I didn't like it much. Now I seem to be focussing & nitpicking on all the different parts of me in turn. It's pretty surreal.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I read a thing the other day that stuck with me. It might be helpful.

Stop obsessing over what your body is while you're changing it, it's changing and worrying about it won't do any good. Instead, focus on what your amazing body can do, that's what's important.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I can honestly tell you, I have been there. I hated everything about me, or so I thought, but came to realize the thing I hated about me, was my weight, my body, the way I seen myself in the mirror. I had to find 1 thing, anything about myself that I liked or loved. It was my eyes, I have beautiful hazel green eyes, they are still my most favorite thing about me. I focused on them, once I learned to love something about myself, I could than begin to learn to love myself, it takes learning to find 1 thing about yourself, who you are or anything about you, to love, just to learn to think more positive about yourself. You can't change your mind if you are hating on yourself.