SPAM - Flag away!

Options
So if 5 people "flag" (lower left hand side of a post) a post as spam, it gets disappeared for review. Flag away, peeps!

Replies

• 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    YEAH!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    It's so much easier for mods to get spam off the boards now as well as for the members to help pull it off the boards too! Yay!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    [/quote]
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This is the best thing. :relieved:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Also (though I'm personally through trial and error figuring out the forums), you'll be able to "hide" topics that you don't wish to see (IE "Would you date....)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    [/quote]
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    So if 5 people "flag" (lower left hand side of a post) a post as spam, it gets disappeared for review. Flag away, peeps!

Hmm I thought the enhancements would block the spam posts from being made. So if we have 13 pages of spam like that other night, do we need to flag each? Or does the user themself get flagged and all their op topics moved because they've been flagged multiple times?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Do you think this functionality could be used to disappear unpopular posts that aren't necessarily against the rules?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm going to flag posts where people are being rude.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    It's gonna be nanny sitting on steroids.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Do you think this functionality could be used to disappear unpopular posts that aren't necessarily against the rules?

That did cross my mind. I figure though, that the mods would get pretty jack of people misusing this function pretty fast and kick some butt, because all 5 flags does is send it to the mods to review.

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

That did cross my mind. I figure though, that the mods would get pretty jack of people misusing this function pretty fast and kick some butt, because all 5 flags does is send it to the mods to review.

It's a whole world of people using the site though. It won't be the same person (mis)using the flag option over and over again. There could be some volume issues when the flags start rolling in. We'll have to just use it and see though :)

• NYfirefighter
    Options
    Been flagging quite a few posts
    You can basically see it's spam from the topic titles
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Bump for this morning.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Just thinking - I am having a vision of non-robot spammers (the ones who join to sell beachbody and all that) having their posts flagged 5 times fairly quickly and disappearing, so they start a new one, not knowing where their old one went and so on, and so on...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Another thing - if they don't get to five flags because not enough people are flagging, the posts could actually stay on for quite a while. But five is a reasonable number. Just thinking out loud I guess.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Have you noticed your thread isn't getting to the top of the forum when bumped? What happened to it?
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I did not that the bump didn't work.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    The original post has five flags. Do you think it was the spammers that flagged it or just normal posters testing the feature?