For those who have succeeded, what does it feel like?

Options
I can't wait to see where I am weight wise around Christmastime. I'm so excited!

I have never met a goal in my entire life body-wise. I think this is the time that I will succeed.

It would motivate me SO MUCH to hear your stories. How did it feel when you succeeded in your journey to a better body?

How did your family react? Could you not stop smiling?

Please let me know, I am so curious and it would help me so much!!

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I hit my original weight goal a couple months ago after losing 40 pounds. Since then I have reset and reset and reset my goals, alternating between maintaining, losing another 10 to 12 pounds, or deliberately bulking through the winter. It was a lot easier to stay focused in one direction when I knew I needed to lose weight.

My goals have gradually changed from getting thinner to getting fitter to adding muscle. Of the three, getting thinner was definitely the easiest, although I'm finding the other two more rewarding. And confusing.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You will feel amazing. And the numbers going down feel so much better! I.e. Even if you used to feel fat at a certain weight, as you lose and get back to that weight you'll feel so much better about yourself. Enjoy the process!
  • pknjhh
    pknjhh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Much better to go by mirror weight and body fat loss. That's how I always judged it for me. I wanted to bulk for a long time and got to 313. After a few years of being huge which I liked I decided to lean down. Dropped down to 260's in 2 months. Not sure what weight will be once I finish leaning out. It feels great to follow thru with your goals. Once I get my body fat low enough I plan on doing a clean bulk without gaining fat. That's all in your diet though to control that kind of stuff. It's not really hard to do just need self control and proper workout regime. For females weight training with compound lifts like barbell squats, dumbbell presses and dead lifts work great. Women are scared they will get too muscular using fee weights but women don't have the hormones to actually get like that. Although you will have your 2% of genetic freaks but those women know who they are lol
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    :) It feels absolutely wonderful! I am still surprised when I see myself in the mirror.
  • TheKingsChampion
    TheKingsChampion Posts: 120
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Feels great...my family don't support it but I don't care. its my body and my choice.

It's nice to maintain. :) Though you still need to continue logging even in maintenance... Or atleast I did. I plan on logging for life.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I lost 110 lbs and it feels awesome. For those who saw me regularly, they were full of compliments. One person was worried that I was dying! For people who have not seen me in 2 years, they don't recognize me. The only downside to all of this is the limited wardrobe that I have. I'm still losing and have gone through soooooo many clothes!
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Ive lot 120ish pounds over the last 2 years and in general feel very happy. Im more confident, and love to go shopping now.

But - I still have bad days. I dont want people to think just because you lose the weight you will automatically be happy. I still have days where I hate myself and the way I look and days that I want to eat EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.. but these are things I need to work on.

My family and friends has been very supportive and proud! And that feels great =)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It doesn't feel like much of anything. You have a picture in your mind of confetti and balloons when you hit your goal weight, and you life being better in every way. But it's mostly you staring at yourself in the mirror saying, "cool story bro."
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I tell people losing 33% of my body weight hasn't made a huge difference, but I only say that to make them feel better and lower their own expectations. My life isn't any different, but I feel different.

I have loads more energy, I breath easier, my stamina is back to what it was 20 years ago, I have muscles you can see, my back doesn't ache as much, I can lift much heavier things than I used to be able to, my blood pressure has gone down (won't know about blood cholesterol until next year), I care more about my appearance, I have a whole new load of clothes (but less of them) that fit me, I have a neat little torso which I really like, I can pick up my 9 year-old daughter, I can wear my engagement ring (actually it's a tad loose), my digestion is great (better diet), I look like a teenager according to my boss, I'm planning on starting running (to burn off the excess energy primarily).

DH is supportive, but he loved me whatever, and DD loves that she can wrap her arms all the way around me for a real hug. The rest of my family doesn't know, and probably wouldn't recognize me. 99% of the comments I've had from colleagues/friends have been wonderful. They're genuinely pleased for me and proud of what I've achieved. I ignore the negative ones.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have found the novelty wears off. I'm in the best shape I've been in 20 years, finding clothes is finally tolerable but I'm still feeling a bit "meh". I wasn't so heavy that it was debilitating my life, though. I guess it's different for everyone.

The regular workouts help me with health and stress, though. So there's that.
  • xcarriethompson
    Options
    My progress is smaller than others - I'm 5'9 and was 170lbs and now im 157lbs. Would like to get to 145 then see how I feel. But for 3 years I'd been wanting to lose weight, and I've finally lost 13lbs. To finally see progress is amazing, and my friends are starting to notice - I've gotten about 6 comments this past week! I just love it. I might be imagining but I find people respect you more when you lose weight/work hard for a goal and reach it. Feels great! Keep going !!
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling good. Not at goal yet but getting there slowly.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It doesn't feel like much of anything. You have a picture in your mind of confetti and balloons when you hit your goal weight, and you life being better in every way. But it's mostly you staring at yourself in the mirror saying, "cool story bro."

That's about it for me. I'm more or less at goal, and focused on improving my all-around fitness. But even at my heaviest, I was very active. Mostly I enjoy not having a big gut to deal with when lounging on the sofa, and climbing hills a lot faster on my bike. It's satisfying to no longer be overweight. There are little pleasures, like a better choice in clothing at the store, or not feeling like I'm crowding my neighbor in the theater or on an airplane. But it isn't euphoric or anything like that.

34527787.png
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

This. The compliments are nice for a while but eventually they stop and you just keep living, lol. The truth is, the change is gradual, so it's not like you wake up one day and are thin and it's suddenly amazing. I'm still not quite at my goal weight but it's been almost 2 years and honestly I can't remember what it felt like before.

The main change at this point is that it's actually fun to go clothes shopping. I don't and will never have the body I dreamed of though.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's cool when people don't even recognize you, but that wears off once people are accustomed to your new look. Even strangers though, will seem nicer towards you. But the best is being able to do stuff and not get tired. Feel more comfortable in an airplane seat. More comfortable in smaller cars. Clothes fit better, etc.
  • troisieme
    Options
    I reached my goal of losing 20 pounds a couple of years ago, and stopped using MyFitnessPal. I regained about three quarters of what I had lost, and have just in the last three weeks resumed logging everything. That awareness of what you are doing seems to be essential to keeping weight down. So it is good to have a goal, but maintenance will require continuing to pay close attention.
  • DaveDeLange
    Options
    I'm losing fat quicker than I thought I would, so I am well ahead of my target. I have lost 60lbs so far in the past six months, and have about 20-35lbs to go by next summer.

It does feel amazing, seeing the difference and fitting into old smaller clothes again. It's surprising to discover bones in places I had forgotten there were bones!

The best thing though is feeling MUCH lighter when moving around. I can just bounce off the couch now, whereas in the past I would be struggling to get up. I climb stairs two at a time again. Brilliant.
  • Ailorn
    Ailorn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Why not set little goals. I found that when I met my big goal something still felt missing. There was no huge sense of satisfaction. I like competition when we do games at work (like 10k step challenge) so that was more enjoyable for me.
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm ten pounds away from my goal but now I'm at a weight where most of my clothes fit. It's an awesome feeling.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Still feels weird when I go to stores I forget I now shop medium or large instead of xxl

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]29509743.png[/url]