Restrictive meal plan from PT

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Short term low carb diets work well and as long as you realize that that is exactly how you should treat this particular diet, short term, then fine, use it to get started. Overall it's a pretty standard diet that many trainers use because they can't think of anything better, and I do mean "can't" lol
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    So many questions-Whats your TDEE, how much training are you doing, what do you ususally eat etc.

However, it is restrictive IMO. Its doable, but not long term and doesnt look very fun. Theres nothing wrong with whey protein and fish oils-both are great supplements, especially the fish oil. The whey is good for getting protein macros up and an easy throw together snack-its actually ok with water if you use a decent brand, but obviously better with milk/coconut milk (my personal favourite is chocolate whey with coconut, like drinking a bounty).

You dont have to do a highly restrictive plan to make your goals. Be honest with your trainer, and if they are arsey about it find someone who isnt.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your height/current weight is? This is similar in calories/protein intake to what I consume. I'm 5ft 4 and 199lbs and on a very restrictive diet prescribed by my doctor. I eat tons of spinach and chicken and eggs etc because they fill my macros and give me lots of food volume for the calories. It helps to add spices to foods and mix up the flavors so things don't get too boring.

Some diet plans are set up based on what you should be eating when you reach maintenance...(They're doing this so the diet/calorie change happen 1x rather than gradually over time with multiple calorie intake drops like weight watchers or other plans) and that means its pretty drastic and hard to manage for the first few months.

Its pretty much a guarantee you'll lose weight doing this plan...and you might surprise yourself at how much better you'll feel eliminating processed foods after your body adjusts.
    However, there is a risk of boredom and burnout. Have you asked your PT if there's a chance for a cheat meal 1x per week or an opportunity to add back in some other foods down the road when you reach a mini goal?

Have you been seen by a doctor recently to ensure this type of diet/exercise regimen is appropriate and healthy for you?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Hell no.
  • TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's not actually that low calorie tbh, if you ate the full 150g protein in meals 3/4 (if you even could) and a reasonable amount in the shake/protein meal it could easily be over 2k.

It's still terrible though, would cost a fortune!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Your PT is a "bro" ... with little knowledge, if any at all, on nutrition and fat loss.

Check for a registered dietitian in your area who knows what they are doing.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    JulsiePie wrote: »
    So a little bit about me. I have a lot of weight to lose (130ish pounds now) and have started with a PT. I love the workouts and I am great at getting cardio in as well.

All is good until now - I got a "meal plan" and it's very restrictive and I don't think it's doable. If any of you have experience with this type of plan, please let me know! I am starting in a week and I'm miserable just thinking about it.

Here's the plan:

Meal 1 - 4-5 egg whites with 1/2 cup cooked oats and 1/2 cup blueberries

Meal 2 - 1/4 cup almonds and protein powder mixed with water (ew.)

Meal 3 - 100-150 grams of protein and 1-2 cups green vegetables

Meal 4 - same as meal 3

Meal 5 - 1-2 cups of green vegetables and 7-8 egg whites

Protein - white fish, white meat chicken or turkey, tuna

Add in 5 fish oil pills a day.

And that's it. Everyday.

I know I have a lot of weight to lose and my training sessions have been awesome, so am I just being a baby about this? Is this a good/normal meal plan to follow? Obviously I have no idea, but it seems horrible.

I have been counting calories before and have lost some weight already, but I guess this is just a different approach?

I know your PT means well. But are you this dedicated? Do you want to eat this restrictive? All I can tell you is one thing i've learned.. How you lose the weight is how you have to maintain the weight. And there is no way you could live like this. You can still lose by reducing your calories and working out. And something will happen along the way.. you will naturally want to eat better and do more along the way. But it will be real change..not imposed change.

BTW..good for you for taking the first steps to getting fit and healthy.
  • AnjaliSD
    AnjaliSD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with most other people in this thread. You say that you have 130 lbs to lose, so I feel it;s a safe assumption that you weigh atleast 250 lbs.
    I did some quick fiddling around with online BMR/ TDEE Calculators, and using the conservative height of 5'0, and weight of 250, your BMR shuffled between 1600 and 1800, and your TDEE around the 2200 mark assuming you live a mostly sedentary lifestyle.

But since you're seeing a trainer, I'm going to assume you're doing at least some exercise a couple times a week, in which case the food plan you were given doesn't seem like it would even allow you to get through life without being seriously lethargic or hAngry.

Not only that, but the only way I could get a reasonable amount of fiber was if you ate 4 cups of broccoli. If you ate spinach or kale as your greens, you wouldn't get enough fiber in a day. Which is also bad.

LIke everyone else has said, Junk this person's food advice. If you have access to one, see a dietician. If not, try to look for diet plans which are lean protein and veggie heavy, that don't look as incredibly bland and boring as the one this PT gave you.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If it's not doable - don't do it. Just eat food, but not too much, and you'll lose weight.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    OMG
    Your PT is an idiot. You need to can him now!
    9pd8dktci6y0.jpg
    Just follow the MFP recommendations for steady, safe and lasting results.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    This is the kind of cookie cutter diet that bodybuilders and fitness models use to cut pre-competition. Would it work, definitely? But will you be able to stick to it? What works best for long term weight loss is a diet that you can stick to. This kind of diet for the majority of the population is unsustainable but also completely unnecessary. Figure out how much you should be eating to lose weight and what ratio of macronutrients you need and then eat foods that meet these requirements.

Try this http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Basically what happens on this plan if you decide to eat out or you don't have x food in the house. What happens if you crave some chocolate. IMHO a good meal plan should have some in-built flexibility with substitutions and room for treats. It has to be something you can stick to for life otherwise you'll lose weight, go back to eating the way you were before and gain it all back (and likely more).
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Did you try it? I don't think I could do it either. There are zero carbs in that diet except for oatmeal and that is very very little- that would make me absolutely miserable.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    That looks just miserable.

Go enjoy your workouts with him and do your own thing diet wise. A small deficit, sensible macro split and the occasional treat would be better IMO.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Meals 1 and 2 would probably make me vomit.
  • octhawk
    octhawk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When I've used PTs, I've gone to a separate nutritionist / dietian. Basically go to each person for their own specialty. Let each know about the other. The nutritionist needs to know about your workouts for an appropriate calorie requirement. The best situation is if they work with each other and you. The diet above is something, I personally would never stick to, so whether it is good or bad, it's useless if I don't stick with it.
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything diet-wise that I wouldn't be happy to continue indefinitely since I am of the opinion that if I set an 'end date' I will probably just gain weight back after that. This plan will probably work for now, but will it work long-term?

Plus it's a lot easier to make changes one step at a time. I started by drinking mainly water. Once that became something I didn't have to think about anymore, I added more vegetables. Slowly but surely my diet is getting a whole lot healthier and I am losing weight. And I still get to eat chocolate every so often.

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    How much experience does your PT have working with the obese? Can he provide references from clients who are or were obese who had good results from his methods?
    And that's on the exercise side. IMHO a lot of PTs are just full of absolute CRAP information when it comes to nutrition, even for non-obese clients. ...

Conclusion: your PT is a bro, has clearly not taken any time to think about what is going to work FOR YOU, and is trying to shoehorn you into the same plan he gives everyone.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Hmm ...anything I can add .. thinking ... Nope. You NEED enough calories for energy for getting through the day, doing you job and housework and repairs and kids and not getting dizzy while driving.

I am just wondering what the heck else he has suggested in terms of exercise and lifestyle. I would tend to drop that person.

• Honey_Dew14
    Options
    I agree this is more like the diet followed by girls training for fitness model comps who do not have a lot of weight to lose but just have to get shredded. You might consider working with a PT who has prior experience in training people who had similar needs as yours. Most PTs think weight loss is the easiest thing to achieve and completely ignore the psychological aspects involved. If you do not like the diet , you will most likely not stick to it and then the PT will blame you for "lack of determination'. Don't get into this cycle. Talk to your PT , see if they offer a solution. If they just give you the lecture on discipline , start looking for another PT.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Time to ditch the food part of the training. If the trainer cannot handle your decision to do what is best for you. Find a better one.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    That looks like a recipe for disaster .. like has been said, just eat at a deficit and you will be fine. Unless there is some crazy rush that we do not know about .. it is just not a good idea and definitely not maintainable. It is about eating food that you can live with. That looks like torture.