Vacation and want to not gain weight

Options
Hello going on vacation for over 3 weeks soon. What would be a good calorie count to follow, to enjoy but i dont want to gain weight while on vacation
should i jsut eat one meal a day. also doing a cruise,
would one pig out meal a day be ok, and not eat anything else before and after keep my weight at par? thanks

Replies

• Nouurann
    Nouurann Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    There is intermittent fasting, which is basically what you're talking about. But you can't "pig out". I don't know your calorie goal, but mine is around 1,500-1,600 and it's so easy to eat that much at a restaurant dinner with dessert and a drink (could be just because I love cheesecake....but that's a different story
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Well if you normally pig out at every meal then yes it's probably wiser to reduce the number of times during the day you do that.......whether once is the answer would require a plethora of personal information though. Personally I've never once gained weight when traveling which probably has more to do with agenda that is more physical than my typical everyday comparison.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I would just continue to eat the way you usually eat and enjoy the holiday.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on my last cruise. I worked out most days in the gym (elliptical and some lifting), ran on the track on one of the balconies, and swam in the pools. I also enjoyed myself at the buffet without going overboard. I tried teensy tiny tastes of all the foods I was interested in before building a plate. I made sure to still eat plenty of high-volume greens and drank mostly wine. I didn't calorie count and I lost a few lbs.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on my last cruise. I worked out most days in the gym (elliptical and some lifting), ran on the track on one of the balconies, and swam in the pools. I also enjoyed myself at the buffet without going overboard. I tried teensy tiny tastes of all the foods I was interested in before building a plate. I made sure to still eat plenty of high-volume greens and drank mostly wine. I didn't calorie count and I lost a few lbs.

Good for you.

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Going on vacation myself in less than 3 weeks for a full week. I plan on hitting the hotel gym 3 times during that week, then just enjoying myself. I expect I'll not lose during the week, I just don't want to gain or stall. There will be lots of walking during the week too. Basically if I just make healthy choices at meals, maintain portion control, and don't overdo sweets I expect I'll be fine. I don't like sweet alcoholic beverages, will try to stick to lite beer, or clear alcohols with diet soda. I don't plan on spending the week in a drunken haze, so I should be OK.

Vegas bound!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've got a trip coming up over Thanksgiving. We will be driving most of the time, but the vacation also includes 2 Thanksgiving dinners and a family reunion. I plan on eat at maintenance, a smallish breakfast (yogurt, granola bar), a simple lunch( sandwich most likely), and a bigger dinner. I hope to be able to avoid snacking as much as possible. But hey, it's one week, and if I go over while having a good time with family oh well, it will be worth it. And then I'll get right back on track as soon as I get home
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on my last vacation, even with an indulgence. Most cruise ships will have a gym onboard. What I did on my last vacation (not a cruise) was make sure I got a fairly intense exercise in every day. I earned at least an extra 500-800 exercise calories from it. Then, since cruises are notorious for food, I would suggest having one, just one, little indulgence everyday, then stick with healthy eating as best as you can. Cruises will have many, many, many options to choose from, it will not be hard to find something healthy.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Don't change anything, just keep doing what you're doing. I recently came back from a weeklong vacation (granted, not a cruise), and was able to keep on track by just treating it like every other day.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    For me on vacation I usually lose a little or maintain. I just spent 10 days in Germany and ate a ton of amazing food. But each day I was WAY more active than a normal day back home. We walked a ton and went hiking. Every day was very active (and most of our vacations are like this). I'm not sitting behind a desk all day on vacation and although I'm eating more it's not processed food...it's homemade and good quality. Makes a huge difference!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    MamaRiss wrote: »
    I've got a trip coming up over Thanksgiving. We will be driving most of the time, but the vacation also includes 2 Thanksgiving dinners and a family reunion. I plan on eat at maintenance, a smallish breakfast (yogurt, granola bar), a simple lunch( sandwich most likely), and a bigger dinner. I hope to be able to avoid snacking as much as possible. But hey, it's one week, and if I go over while having a good time with family oh well, it will be worth it. And then I'll get right back on track as soon as I get home

You'll be fine. :smile: Just do something active every single day. It's a good chance to go for a walk with family members etc.