Fruit tip - wish I'd realized this sooner!!

Options
Okay, I don't know why it never occurred to me til today, since I weigh everything else, but ...

WEIGH YOUR FRUIT, PEOPLE.
Don't just guess.

I weighed a nectarine today, and it is 20 calories less than I usually put in. The pear was nearly half what I put in.

It makes a difference! What you think of as a "small" pear may not be what another user considered small.

This morning I had 3 pieces of fruit, a boiled egg, and 2 cups of coffee with milk and my breakfast came to just under 250 calories. With my previous estimates, it would have come to at least 350. I just saved myself 100 calories! :O

No WONDER I was finding it so hard to stick to my goal ...
I eat a lot of fruit.

Replies

• MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    PS weigh your eggs too! :)
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    thanks! i'll start doing that :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Eggs too but sometimes it's just not convenient when you just crack it in a pan... but I've seen large eggs go from 45g to 75!
  • Nouurann
    Nouurann Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Lucky you! I always weigh my fruit but it always ends up being 100 calories MORE than I estimated based on size lol. It's quite depressing.
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Weighing eggs......kind of going overboard,,,,don't u think?????
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I weigh my eggs too. Usually they weigh more than what the nutritional label states! My eggs are usually 85 calories instead of 70.
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    katya_be wrote: »
    I weigh my eggs too. Usually they weigh more than what the nutritional label states! My eggs are usually 85 calories instead of 70.

I bet if you average out the carton (or several cartons) of eggs it would be close to the nutrition label.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Usually I find eggs are pretty close to the stated weight & yogurt cups are way under what they're supposed to be (the only yogurts I still weigh are the yogurts that come in bigger containers with multiple servings).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Add713 wrote: »

I bet if you average out the carton (or several cartons) of eggs it would be close to the nutrition label.

Yeah but I don't eat all the eggs in the carton. There's 4 of us.

Yogurts I agree, there is always less, but I don't bother weighing them unless it's a big container.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Add713 wrote: »

Yeah but I don't eat all the eggs in the carton. There's 4 of us.

Yogurts I agree, there is always less, but I don't bother weighing them unless it's a big container.

You don't even need to average the carton. Just weigh a few eggs, and if you usually buy the same brand and size, you will find most are only 1-3 grams off to either side. 90% of the eggs I have are around 47g with a few at 45-49g. Yolk are almost always 18g, rarely 17 or 19.

• RSEC75
    RSEC75 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's not just fruit, I get a bit frustrated with anything that is entered in the database as '1 small...' or '1 medium...' How am I meant to know what someone else's idea of small/medium/large are?

I go on weight for everything, except for ml for some liquids.

Also don't assume a teaspoon, or tablespoon is always the same size. For a start UK uses metric teaspoons & tablespoons and I believe the USA uses imperial sizes. But even then most you buy don't match the standard measure so you need a calibrated set if you are going to measure anything that way.
  • jessica43062
    jessica43062 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Weighing for the win.

I think the random measurements on this site are the most amateurish part. I get really frustrated when I look for a fruit or vegetable and have to search through numerous options to find one with a standardized unit (1 oz, 1 gram, anything!). The first entry for grape tomatoes has only one option: 1 cup. How not-at-all useful for grape tomatoes. Same for the listings with small/medium/large and no weights included to back it up.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I know right? I was so glad to find one for bananas by the ounce. Mine have ranged from 85-120 calories.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Weigh everything that you eat.

Every. Single. Thing.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Every. Single. Thing.

+1
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    This is so true but I have yet to start doing it (although I'm doing okay and losing weight). I puzzled over the MFP definition of a "medium" potato one day, then tried to imagine how a tape measure would look wrapped around it (it was hot!), then remembered the difference between "diameter" and "circumference" and realized I wasn't supposed to be wrapping a tape measure around it at all but instead stabbing it with a ruler, then I remembered how much I hated my fifth-grade math teacher... then I... wait a sec, what was the question?

Seriously, though, I'm sure weighing everything, whenever feasible, is the best answer. But I haven't begun doing it yet myself.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

Every. Single. Thing.

I'd edit this to, "Weigh everything that you eat, when it is convenient with your lifestyle to do so. When it is not, put in your best guess. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good."

Just my philosophy though. I use my food scale a lot, but sometimes I cannot or simply won't. I am not, for instance, going to weigh an egg. And it turns out that's just fine, because even the actual database entries based on USDA data are not exact. They are based on averages, and your peach might have more or fewer calories than the average peach that was measured in their laboratory.

So...I just do the best I can, and it's definitely worked for weight loss and maintenance.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Every. Single. Thing.

I'd edit this to, "Weigh everything that you eat, when it is convenient with your lifestyle to do so. When it is not, put in your best guess. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good."

Just my philosophy though. I use my food scale a lot, but sometimes I cannot or simply won't. I am not, for instance, going to weigh an egg. And it turns out that's just fine, because even the actual database entries based on USDA data are not exact. They are based on averages, and your peach might have more or fewer calories than the average peach that was measured in their laboratory.

So...I just do the best I can, and it's definitely worked for weight loss and maintenance.

I am kind of in this boat.

I weigh all my cooked foods- and I finally started making recipes to use/repeat to get accurate serving sizes- but I won't weigh my eggs.

I also dont' log the oil I use to make my popcorn- but I do log the butter I melt and drizzle on top.

I log my fruit- but I tend to only weigh half of it- anything I buy in bulk and then pre-portion myself and have to separate out- I weigh.

Otherwise- I best SWAG it and move on about my day.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Every. Single. Thing.

This.

You're going to drive yourself crazy if you start weighing EVERYTHING.

• JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yeah, for me, things like spinach, pickles, etc., just don't have enough calories (in the amounts typically used) to be worth being super-precise. If I'm off by half, it's still barely a blip.

But it is worth it to carefully weigh/measure most other things. Especially calorie-dense foods like oats, butter, and so on. A few percent difference there really can translate into a wide variance in actual calories.