sugar

I did MFP a while ago and was unsuccessful. I was baffled as to what I was doing wrong. Back then my friend pointed out that although I was in my calorie allowance and my ratios of protein, fat and carbs was usually pretty close to target my sugar was higher than recommended. My goal for sugar was 31 grams for the day. Some days I would hit that but other days I would be around 40-60 and if I had a treat (maybe a holiday or birthday) if would be at 100 (very rarely). The sugar usually came from fruit, a protein bar or yogurt with fruit on the bottom. I have since altered my diet and I am eating pretty clean and my sugar intake is on target now. I have cut out a lot of sugar. Do you think this would help? In the past I wouldn't have thought sugar could hinder your weight loss goals so much but now that I have learned more about clean eating and reducing sugar intake I am thinking this may be what hindered me in the past. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance ;)

Replies

• spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Sugar is bad...It probably wasn't helping you in the past. I am pretty sure if you keep your sugar down to a minimum this time, you will notice a big difference! Good luck! I am also trying to keep my sugar levels very low, but love sugar so it's sometimes hard to do...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    My thoughts are that if you are within your calorie allowance you will lose weight.

If you were not losing weight although you were within your calorie allowance then either
    • you were actually eating more ( and/or excercising less) than you thought
    • Your calorie allowance was set too high.
  • heatherw_27
    heatherw_27 Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks spingirl! yes it is. Everything seems to have sugar in it even if you wouldn't think it would...lol

thanks for responding paperpudding. My calorie allowance was 1200 and I was very anal about logging everything. I also have a garmin running watch that calculates my calories by gps, age, height, weight, HR and pace so I know I was not inaccurate with that. I am hoping reducing the sugar will help :)
  • heatherw_27
    whoops I wrote a word that I didn't realize would be blocked. I replace it with meticulous
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Sugar is not inherently bad. You were eating too many calories for your current activity level, regardless if it was from sugar or not. The only potential "link" between it being bad would be if you're unable to control yourself when eating foods which contain sugar and cause you to overeat as a result.

Track your calories and remain in a deficit.
  • heatherw_27
    Lolbro I have always thought it was bad to go below 1200 calories. I was not above my calorie allowance so I am a little confused.
  • LolBroScience
    Open your diary
  • LolBroScience
    You're either overestimating your calorie burns, or underestimating your intake.
  • heatherw_27
    how do I do that? I look under settings.

I just started over on Monday and this time I was more accurate about my job and my base calories are now 1300 or so. I work in health care so I am up and on my feet all day.

Today if looks like I am over but I haven't gone for my run yet. I will be doing that after work tonight.

Thanks for your help!
  • heatherw_27
    I think it is open now.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    You're either overestimating your calorie burns, or underestimating your intake.

Or have chosen the wrong deficit calculation altogether.
  • LolBroScience
    edited October 2014
    You've only logged food on a handful of days... So I'm going to assume it's a consistency issue and you're more than likely not actually in a deficit.
  • heatherw_27
    how would you correct that? I did the guided one
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    You've only logged food on a handful of days... So I'm going to assume it's a consistency issue and you're more than likely not actually in a deficit.

Agree with this. Log consistently and accurately for a month or so first.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    I could have written your post OP - I was exactly the same right down to the occasional treat that would put at about 100g. I cut my sugar to about 35g a day by eliminating my apple at lunch, swapped out bran buds for pumpkin seeds in my yogurt and switched from 0% fruit yogurt to plain greek and lost 5lbs. My calorie goal remained the same 1650 but I switched up my macros and saw results. I too, weigh and measure everything and use a HRM for exercise so my estimates are NOT off. I just think our bodies can have slight intolerances - not necessarily resistance - to various things that affect our weight loss. Things that are not found in a medical diagnoses but can affect your body none the less.

On that note, 1200 cals is probably too few for you as well. Good luck - I hope you find what works!
  • heatherw_27
    edited October 2014
    Thanks Blueberry! Yes, it drives me crazy to be so on top of logging, creating recipes and being so diligent and seeing no results. that is why i gave up before. I measure everything. my poor husband let's me make my own plate because he knows I want to know exactly what I am eating. I am hoping this is the answer :) I actually don't miss the sugar and have done some of the same things you have done.

LolBro, yes I just started over on Monday but that is generally how I eat. I might swap the cashew butter for raw almond butter or an poached egg but I am a pretty regular with my eating.

That brings me to another questions. Regarding consistency and deficit...I am wondering how to handle a "cheat" day. For example, if I know I am going to a party or special occasion, and say there is going to be pizza, I usually under eat my calories another day/days in the week to make up for going over on the "off" day. Does that work?

• heatherw_27
    I forgot to say Congratulations of your 5lb weight loss Blueberry! :)
  • LolBroScience
    Thanks Blueberry! Yes, it drives me crazy to be so on top of logging, creating recipes and being so diligent and seeing no results. that is why i gave up before. I measure everything. my poor husband let's me make my own plate because he knows I want to know exactly what I am eating. I am hoping this is the answer :) I actually don't miss the sugar and have done some of the same things you have done.

LolBro, yes I just started over on Monday but that is generally how I eat. I might swap the cashew butter for raw almond butter or an poached egg but I am a pretty regular with my eating.

That brings me to another questions. Regarding consistency and deficit...I am wondering how to handle a "cheat" day. For example, if I know I am going to a party or special occasion, and say there is going to be pizza, I usually under eat my calories another day/days in the week to make up for going over on the "off" day. Does that work?

That's fine if it's how you generally eat. However, if you don't really have a baseline established for your maintenance level, it's a shot in the dark whether or not you're in a calorie deficit.

Yes, it averages out. Or, should....
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Sugar is bad...It probably wasn't helping you in the past. I am pretty sure if you keep your sugar down to a minimum this time, you will notice a big difference! Good luck! I am also trying to keep my sugar levels very low, but love sugar so it's sometimes hard to do...
    In for lulz.

• heatherw_27
    I am not really sure how to establish the maintenance level :-/ I just used the guided option. When I tried MFP in the past I know 1200 calories didn't work and a lot of day after working out my net calories were more like 1000. Running can be challenging to plan into the calorie allowance because I meet up with other runners at night after work. Ex: I may have planned on running 4 miles and then the group wants to do 6 miles. That late in the day it is hard to make up the extra 150-200 calories with food so my deficit would be higher than it should have been. That would often make my net calories drop below the 1200. Members on the board suggested increasing my calories but I was afraid too since I wasn't losing as it was. It scared me to eat more. I am now running in the morning most days so I can plan better.