How can I work out at home with no equipment? Healthy Snack Suggestions?

Options
Hello, all.
I weighed myself this morning, and it really bummed me out. I am officially the heaviest I have ever been. I know part of the reason is because I have been VERY BAD about drinking sodas again. VERY BAD. I am going to stop that today.
I have also been eating larger portions of unhealthy food. (Also, stopping today.)
I seem to keep falling off the bandwagon and having a hard time staying motivated and eating right.

I have some questions:
What are some healthy, easy snacks I can eat at the office? (Something I can just put into a zip lock or Tupperware and eat at my desk) I will say that I am not fond of bananas, coconut, mango, oranges, lemons, limes, or pineapple.

What are some work outs I can do at home without equipment? I have 2lb and 5lb weights and a yoga mat. I am looking to tone up/burn fat/lose inches. I am willing to do a work out program, but would rather keep it on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

What is a good, healthy reward for yourself? I tried coaxing myself into getting into shape with the promise of a new pair of jeans, but that hasn't been doing it. I am thinking of buying some boudoir portraits of myself if I get down to my goal weight, but I am also open to suggestions!

Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you so much!

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You can check out fitnessblender.com for home workouts, a DVD like 20 Day Shred, which is free on Youtube, or about $7 for the actual DVD, or google prison workout.

Snacks...anything you like, just at a reasonable portion size. There are a lot of low cal snack pack type things that are preportioned into 100 calorie packages. Dried fruit, nuts, different bars, etc..
  • Realtree2429
    Realtree2429 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A lot of people like Jillian michaels DVDs for at home, you can use weights with that. I like Denise Austin personally :) I know the 30 day shred (Jillian Michaels) is available on YouTube. I would suggest trying things free before buying, even though the DVDs are only 10-12 bucks, it can add up!

As far as healthy snacks, my favorites are string cheese, hard boiled eggs, hummus, etc. I always keep about a dozen hard boiled eggs in the fridge so I can easily grab one (or 2).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Apple, 80 calories. String cheese, 1 stick=80 calories, plus 10 saltine crackers, 120 calories. Air popped popcorn (make at home, bring in bag.) Carrot and celery sticks. Strips of green/red/yellow bell peppers. Instant oatmeal, comes in packets, just add hot water. Instant grits, same. Hard boiled egg, 80 calories. For free exercise, walk for an hour every day. Also go on youtube and find workouts and do them in your living room. I like high quality makeup and perfume as rewards, or some nice shoes.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of workout videos on Amazon Prime or on Youtube. You can probably check some out from your local library as well.

As far as snacks go, I like jerky, string cheese, fruit (apples, bananas, clementines, grapes, etc), Laughing cow wedges wrapped in prosciutto, lunch meat slices, nuts, hummus, granola bars, air popped pop corn. I also keep room in my diary for candy, ice cream after dinner, and stuff like that. The key is to weigh/measure your food so you're getting the right amount.
  • Party_Cat
    Party_Cat Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Snacks...anything you like, just at a reasonable portion size. There are a lot of low cal snack pack type things that are preportioned into 100 calorie packages. Dried fruit, nuts, different bars, etc..

That is kind of what I figured, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't cheating by feeling this way!! Thank you!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    here's a site full of no-equipment workouts
    http://neilarey.com/100-no-equipment-workouts.html

for cardio, i like walking best of all. continuous walking has been very good to me - i've lost weight, am in better condition and developed some muscle in my thighs and calves.

any snack can be measured into 100 calorie portions, and if you eat ones you like, you're more likely to be satisfied. i eat potato chips and tortilla chips in pre-measured .75 of an ounce servings, and surprisingly the brands i eat have no chemicals or additives - just oil, light salt and either potato or corn and lime. you could try the 37 calorie brownie recipe in the recipe section of MFP and have a couple of them. you could try a box of raisins (if you like raisins).

what you can use as a reward depends on what you like - since i love fitness equipment, i rewarded myself with a set of weight and later with a good quality FID bench. when i hit maintenance, i'm getting a new DSLR. you may prefer a trip to the movies, a day at the spa, a bottle of perfume or good quality walking shoes. or if you like pandora style charms, you could treat yourself to a nice sterling silver bracelet, and then whenever you hit a milestone you could get a new charm.
  • Party_Cat
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back, everyone!
    Weird question: Does the yolk count as part of the calories? I love the egg white, but hate yolks!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Party_Cat wrote: »
    Thanks for the feed back, everyone!
    Weird question: Does the yolk count as part of the calories? I love the egg white, but hate yolks!

Yes, yolks have calories.

If you're just eating the egg whites, enter the calories for that only (should be in the database).
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a great attitude! If you find that things seem overwhelming at first, maybe try adding one new habit at a time for a bit (tracking meals, then aiming for a calorie goal, then adding exercise, etc). I agree with the poster that said eating the snacks you enjoy but in correct portions will help you stay on track without having to sacrifice everything you love. I find that portioning out my entire day and carrying it with me to work (not taking the entire bag of snack chips, but a ziplock of 28g worth) is very helpful. I also pre-log my entire day from breakfast through the end of the workday, so I know what i have to work with for dinner. I highly suggest getting a food scale and weighing your portions of all solid food rather than using cups or measuring spoons...much more accurate.

For rewards, if you're working out you might enjoy scheduling a nice massage. A pedicure can help ease soreness in your active feet and make your toes look smashing as well. A new album downloaded into your ipod can add life to a workout that's getting too routine.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I hate to "exercise" so I fool myself and do movement. Everything I do I have to eaaaaase into - whether its exercise or diet or I will rebel and fall of the wagon.

Movement--- You do it throughout the day instead of a "workout". I work in an office too and the "sitting disease" is very prevalent. Are you sitting 8 hours a day? So take your weights to work, and periodically move with those weights. I'm doing the beginner squat challenge--- one of the article in "hello healthy", you start out with a chair and do 20 squats a day & you don't have to do them all at once (at work). Been doing that for 2 weeks now, and it energizes me so now I take a break and walk up and down 3 flights of stairs and then around the building, do this twice a day. I park waaaaaaaay out from the building. And I stand at my desk to work rather than sit....started out for a total of 2 hours, now at 4 hours. I have 3lb hand weights I take to work, and periodically use them to stretch out. More and more people are doing this at work now. And you may be able to get a group of people to do the walk around the building/stairs together...you remind eachother...every 30 minutes--stretch/use weights, every morning break & afternoon break- time to walk. I also try to walk before work.

Food - about 4 weeks ago I eased into it, cutting out all refined sugar items, processed foods, and white bread. Consciously picking more healthy foods for the 3 meals and snacks. Then 2 weeks in I cut it to the 1200 calories all natural food which isn't restrictive after cutting out the sugar/flour/pasta/sweet cereal etc. Once the craving for the junk is gone....it's easier to eat better.

Snacks- I take almonds (they do fill you up), and tuna (really fills you up), and sometimes 1/4 cup cottage cheese with a bit of mango - when mango season runs out I'll use canned peaches or sweeten it with honey.

Also, I try to eat the same thing EVERY DAY....to me it's a matter of being easier-since I'm basically a lazy person at heart....once I cut out the white flour and sugar......food is just food (except for that mango...love that) and my goal is to make it quick and easy. So it's either steel cut oatmeal or cottage cheese with mango in the morning, almonds for snacks, big salad with tuna for lunch and jalepenos to rev up the metabolism, more almonds for snacks, salmon/trout/some type of fish for dinner with salad and/or vegies - right now I'm stuck on grilled sweet potato slices with red pepper to rev up the metabolism.

Reward-- for me, it's feeling better. My clothes are much looser....of course this is only my 4th week so it's mostly water weight but it is amazing what that water weight does--- lost 2 pants sizes in 2 weeks....crazy. But I am waaaaay overweight & ate so many processed unnatural foods, causing back pain, headaches, and other weird medical issues etc. I've lost 8lbs, three of those being in the last two weeks.
  • Party_Cat
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone!!! I really appreciate that you all took a little time out of your day to give me some advice and encouragement! I love this community!