cardio/weight training - same or alternate days?

Options
Do you do your strength training on the same day as cardio, or do you alternate the days?

Just curious what works best.

Thanks!

Replies

• numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    unless i'm pressed for time, in which case i'll only do cardio, i do cardio and strength on the same day.
  • NBENG
    NBENG Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do the same days as well. However on the day I do legs I do lighter cardio than normal. I typically do legs with a lighter jog. If I run short on time I do cardio with some planks or a few quicker core/strength exercises.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I do them both..I try weight work outs 3 times a week, and cardio 3 more times ,but on the days I weight lift, I try cardio for an additional 45 mins or so

it helps ,good luck
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I try to do a little cardio on the days I lift, then dedicate 1-2 days just to cardio itself. I only do like 20 minutes on lifting days because I HATE it.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of cardio I am doing: if I run 10+K, then I do not do any weight training , at least not for the legs on the same day. If I use the elliptical or the spin bike I might do some weight training on the same day. So in short, on two days, depending on the kind of cardio I am doing.

For me cardio is more important at the moment as I am training for a half marathon.
    Stef.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Is your goal to lose weight, gain strength, etc?
  • whatatime2befit
    Options
    What is your goal? Is your goal to lose weight, gain strength, etc?

I have about 40 lbs left to lose, but I also need to tone up and build some muscle.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Depending on how many days you are working out, or wanting to commit to working out also factors in. If you only want to allocate three days a week, I would do them on the same day. Generally I recommend adding the cardio after the weights. If you are willing to allocate more time, say 5 days a week to workouts, then I would do a 2/3 day split with 2 or 3 of the days devoted to cardio, and the other 2 or 3 days devoted to full body strength. Hope this helps!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Same day for me, with the cardio after the weights otherwise id be too exhausted to keep form for the weights.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I run 4.5 miles round trip to the gym and back on cardio + weight lifting days and run 7.5 miles on cardio only
  • whatatime2befit
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been working out 5-6 days/week, and so far I've been doing weight lifting and cardio on the same days (some days cardio only though).
  • rontuu
    rontuu Posts: 23
    Options
    Same answer as the others. I do them the same days. I work out Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. All days cardio followed by the weight room. Monday / Wednesday 30 Minutes Elliptical. Thursday 5 Mile Run. Saturday 10-20 mile run.
  • jimvic37
    Options
    I mix it up constantly. Today after my warmup routine I did 5 sets of of 5 heavy touch and go dead lifts. Then I did 15 minutes of the following: Ran 200 meters, 15 burpees then 1 minute plank. I made it through 5 rounds.
    This a pretty representative of my daily workouts although some days it maybe more focused on strength with less focus on cardio or visa versa.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    whatatime wrote: »
    Do you do your strength training on the same day as cardio, or do you alternate the days?

Just curious what works best.

Thanks!

On the days that I lift I do cardio as well. First I lift then I do 15 minutes on the treadmill and then move right into 15 minutes on the elliptical.

For the days that I do not lift I still do cardio, but I up the amount. I will usually do 40-45 minutes of cardio on those days.
  • flip212
    Options
    I do cardio and weight training on the same day. Always hitting the weights first and following up with 30 minutes of HIIT. Best of luck!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I do cardio every day, weights every 2-3 days.
    Do weights first.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I do some sort of cardio... everyday! I also lift...but I do it in cycles... usually upper body, lower body, abs/core, and on the weekends I will work whatever I feel like I need to concentrate on the most. :smile:
    But I never skip cardio!! :wink:

Usually my routine is 5 mins stretching, 30 mins cardio, 30-45 lifting, and usually another 15-20 mins of cardio...and light yoga/stretching... It's been working!!