Frustrated - Eager to Lose: Need Encouragement / Insights (Low Carbin' It)

Options
Hi there,
I need some encouragement as I'm a bit frustrated. I started the first phase of a low-carb lifestyle on Oct. 27 and have been following the plan of 20-24 g. carbs/day religiously. Unfortunately, I've only lost 5 lbs in the past 12 days. Now my logic tells me that 5 lbs in 12 days if phenomenal but my husband is quazi-doing-this-with-me and he's dropping lbs and inches so quickly.

I've also been doing Body Pump at the gym 3x per week and a couple of days of 20-30 min. cardio on the recumbent bike. I've been taking 7-Keto DHEA for a few months (since I started Body Pump classes) and just read that my low dosage of 25 mg is way too low. So I increased it today to 100 mg 2x/day. I've also been feeling bloated and constipated on and off throughout the past 12 days.

Even though I'm an intelligent, college-educated person, I have some fantasy in my mind that I should see the weight just melt off me like it sounds like it happens to everyone else. Any pearls of wisdom anyone can impart to this obviously impatient woman?!

Eager to lose,
Joy

Replies

• floweredsteel
    floweredsteel Posts: 56 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    5 pounds in 12 days is a lot!! 1-2 pounds lost per week is considered a healthy weight loss. Don't compare yourself to your husband. Guys are different, and HE is different. Perhaps he has more to lose, lost more water weight than you, etc. I'm not familiar with your specific low-carb plan or Body Pump classes, but it seems like what you are doing is working. The weight never seems to go away as fast as it comes back when we aren't paying attention.
  • scubajoy1
    scubajoy1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for kind thoughts. I would encourage you to check out Body Pump if you're so inclined. I've never been athletic and I love it!
  • erocks308
    Options
    Agreed. That's a high number in 12 days. Stay off the scale except for once a week or you'll go crazy worrying about it. My advice is to set a long term goal and start looking at your journey with that mindset rather than being in too big a hurry. I don't know what your final goal is, but it takes time and if you want it to stick you need something that is sustainable.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    You've lost water weight. Now you need to stay the course. You aren't going to continue to lose 5lbs a week, unless you have a large amount to lose. Even then, it will slow down. Make sure that you are tracking every day. Not going berserk on calories and staying under your carb goal, whatever that is.

Sometimes measurements change while the scale is not, btw, so that's something to look at as well.

Patience isn't a virtue; it's a skill. Now's the time to work on it. Which takes practice like anything else. It stinks, but you didn't gain the weight in 12 days; you aren't going to lose it in that short a time either.

If you need specific questions answered, try the Low Carb forums, the following being one:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

Work it and make it work for you. :heart:

• andxhow
    andxhow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    5 lbs in 12 days! Congrats! I do a semi-low carb thing-- but I don't go too low because I enjoy running and carbs are a neccesary energy source for that. Don't be discouraged! Guys lose weight at a different pace than ladies do. Also remember that if you are doing Body Pump classes, you are most likely gaining muscle, too. :) Stick with it! You got this!