need help! chest strap monitor

I want to know which brand works better for my fitness pal I'm looking to purchase one and do I need a watch too?

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    It depends on exactly what you want. Do you want an activity monitor as well as a heart rate monitor? Or do you just need a heart rate monitor? Does it have to connect to MFP? or do you mind inputting the information, like time and calories burned, yourself? And how much do you want to spend? I had a Polar FT7 which is a HRM with a strap and it worked just fine. But I decided with my new job that I also wanted an activity tracker. So I switched to a VivoFit with a heart rate strap.

The HRM strap will come with the watch when you first buy it. Only buy the strap separately if you are replacing the strap that came with the heart rate monitor watch.
  • rochelle1981
    rochelle1981 Posts: 12 Member
    I want an Activity monitor as well as heart rate something I can wear all day to have an idea what I am burning
  • rochelle1981
    I want something to connect to MFP
  • I have a Wahoo blue HR which I love. Don't need a watch as it synchs with the Wahoo app on my phone, which then synchs wth MFP, Garmin Connect, and most other 3rd party apps. The only notable exception is Polar Personal Trainer. The updated version is called a TICR. http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/hr.html
  • rochelle1981
    I will check it out thanks now is there a monthly charge with the Wahoo ?
  • rochelle1981
    I want to be able to wear it all day to get an idea of my daily calorie burn
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I have a Garmin Vivofit activity monitor with an HRM. I bought them in a bundle on Amazon. They work brilliantly together and synchronize very well with MFP. I highly recommend it.
  • rochelle1981
    Thanks a bunch I will check that one out too :D
  • The Garmin Vivovit will give you an idea of your calorie burn during the day, based on the steps you take and info you fill in. It synchs with MFP. The chest strap I think is only to be used during exercise, not something you want to wear all day long. It's not uncomfortable to wear, but all day long, every single day would start to get annoying I'd think.
  • rochelle1981
    Oh that's good to know Thank you I did not think of that so the watch for all day calorie count and the chest strap for workout
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Do your homework. Chest strap HRMs only come close to accurately estimating caloric burn during certain steady state cardio activities. They are not accurate for all day calculations nor are they good for estimating things like yoga, weight lifting, intervals, etc.

Activity trackers provide all day estimates. There are devices that try to merge the capabilities of both categories but they are still two distinct things.
  • rochelle1981
    thanks
  • I will check it out thanks now is there a monthly charge with the Wahoo ?

No monthly charge. App is either free or just a couple of bucks.