Vitamins and other supplements?

Options
I take a multivitamin daily but I've heard that certain supplements are also good for you, such as fiber, fish oil, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin B, Vitamin D, and Calcium. I've heard of protein pills, but I can never find them anywhere. All I can find is chocolate-flavored protein powder and I will testify that I hate chocolate and strawberry milk. Blerghhhhh...

I mean, are all these really necessary? What does fish oil do anyway? Does fish oil contain traces of mercury like fish meat?

Replies

• pittielover23
    Options
    I take a prenatal (have for over a year since we are TTC), and then take a Vitamin D and a Vitamin B supplement as well. Both of the additional supplements have been known to help combat anxiety and depression, and since I am fresh off meds for both, I take them for some added insurance.
  • nudacris
    nudacris Posts: 25
    Options
    The only supplements I take are whey protein isolate and Omega-3 fish oil, since I find it very difficult to get enough protein and fish in my diet. You can get all the other vitamins and minerals from whole foods easily, and it's better that way rather than from a pill.

Here is a good read about Omega-3 http://www.intense-workout.com/fish_oil.html
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Most of those supplements are powerful antioxidants, and very important for your health. We generally don't get enough of them in our poor diets, and supplementing really helps.

As for protein shakes, Optimum Nutrition has been rated at the top yr. after yr., for both what is in it, what it delivers and how it tastes. It comes in a variety of flavors, incl. things like "Cake batter" and several diff. types of vanillas. GNC carries that. I happen to like chocolate, but I hear that people go wild over the "Cookies and Cream" flavor.
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump

I also am curious about this I have moments where I think I take too much stuff and have other moments where I feel like I don't take enough

I take a multi and 2 vitamin D pills, Biotin every other day (and I am supposed to be taking glutamine as well 1tsp 3x a day)

I don't even know what that does except that is an amino acid
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Yes there are traces of metal in the fish oil pills. I use Super Omega 3 6 9 by NOW.

My daily vitamin is by Controlled Labs and called Orange Triad. It is more geared toward immunity, digestion etc....
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Most of those supplements are powerful antioxidants, and very important for your health. We generally don't get enough of them in our poor diets, and supplementing really helps.

As for protein shakes, Optimum Nutrition has been rated at the top yr. after yr., for both what is in it, what it delivers and how it tastes. It comes in a variety of flavors, incl. things like "Cake batter" and several diff. types of vanillas. GNC carries that. I happen to like chocolate, but I hear that people go wild over the "Cookies and Cream" flavor.

ON is a great one. I have yet to try any ON protein and not enjoy the taste. My favorite is good ole double chocolate....
  • MintyStarshine
    Options
    I think my big problem with the protein powder supplements is that they're sweet and thick. I had a lot of problems getting through even 8oz of Slimfast because it's too thick and too sweet. I couldn't drink the vanilla either and the strawberry ones actually made me want to throw up. The only one I could handle was chocolate, but it always gave me heartburn like crazy. I'm not lactose intolerant... just intolerant of that kind of supplement in my milk. I don't like almond milk or soy milk. Regular milk is fine but I don't often find myself wanting to drink it.

I've never been someone to eat sweets. This is one fat kid who doesn't like cake. I don't like cookies, candy bars, cake, ice cream, candy, milk chocolate, or anything like that. They actually make me feel ill if I eat more than a bite, a Hershey's kiss, or a spoonful. The only sweet things I like are fresh fruit or fruit-flavored drinks. The reason I have a weight problem is because I like fats, salt, cheese, bread, pasta, and potatoes.

But I'm worried that I'm not going to be getting enough protein and basic essential nutrients as I continue with my diet, since the main things that I need to watch are sugars (through things like bread, potatoes, yogurt, or spaghetti sauce) and salt. This is proving to be a little difficult, so I was thinking of supplements.

Thanks for all the information, guys. It's really leading me in the right direction! :)
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, and I take vitamin E, fish oil, and I just started taking a Vitamin D and Calcium since my friend did a report in our class about osteoporosis and Vitamin D and Calcium are very important for bone health.

I also use ON's whey protein for after my work outs, or the days I don't get enough protein from my diet.
  • ktmarie11
    ktmarie11 Posts: 13
    Options
    what about a cinnamon supplement?