Increase Protein without going crazy on other things

Options
I have tried to up my protein intake, but it seems like I cannot find actual FOODS that have HIGH protein but LOW fat or sugar. I HATE protein shakes, but it seems like that's the only way I get my protein number per day. Protein bars are delicious but a lot of them have REALLY high sugar count. Any suggestions of good PROTEIN sources that are foods?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Um...meat?

Chicken breast
    Tuna fish
    Turkey breast
    Lean beef

Etc...
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Meat, fish, eggs, occasionally nuts if you're ok with also getting a lot of fat. Most cheese is about an even ratio of fat/protein. Also it is tasty :yum:

If I'm not getting enough protein for the day in my meals, I honestly just eat a couple of ounces of lunch meat, a hard boiled egg or two, or leftovers of whatever meat I made for dinner the night before. I do enjoy and drink protein shakes, too, but you don't need those to meet your protein requirements.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Jerky, PB2 / PB Lean, Turkey, Eggs, Bananas .... I'm not very good at this, i never hit my macros.... but all of those are lower on the calorie side.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Shrimp, chicken, beef or turkey jerky, tuna fish, string cheese, Greek yogurt, etc. Obviously if you're veggie or vegan you might need to look into some alternate protein ideas.
  • ksmitty1022
    ksmitty1022 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    haha...yes I probably should have mentioned that most meat makes me gag. That would have been the obvious answer. Chicken all the time is getting old. Thank you for the other ideas.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I drink the shakes make mine with berries, powerade zero about 2-4 oz and one scoop of Jarrows unflavored although chocolate is ok. I just chug it. not my favorite but you have to learn to swallow the frog to meet your goals! gives me 22 g protein in a few mouthfuls and keeps my hunger at bay
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Okay, it's difficult to get the protein you need if you can't eat meet (chicken, beef, pork, fish) or protein shakes. I hope you like cottage cheese.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Google it. Several sites come up with a list of high protein, low calorie food sources. But right off the top of my head.

1. shrimp
    2. tuna
    3. chicken breast
    4. low fat cottage cheese
    5. eggs/egg whites (I combine 1egg & 1/2 cup egg white every breakfast)
    6. lean ground turkey
    7. beans
    8. almonds
    9. nut butters, natural and in moderation

You can look at my diary from yesterday. I hit over 200g of protein. Also, what are your macro goals? As in, how low do you want to keep your fats and carbs? I stay moderate on them myself, most days.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    And 10. non fat greek yogurt
  • Amyafm
    Amyafm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ever try vegetarian burgers like those by morning star or boca? I'm not a huge fan of the ones that try to taste like burgers or chicken, but the ones made with beans are pretty tasty.