Advice about weight lifting gloves

Options

Replies

• perfectlytrained
    perfectlytrained Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Are you being sarcastic about handwraps being a great idea? I thought you were serious, but then you wrote the thing about the kettlebells...

I think you should definitely try it out.

I still can't tell if you're being serious. I'm not sure if it's because you're doing it on purpose or because I have Aspergers (really) and sometimes have difficulty with things like sarcasm, but I'm being completely honest when I say that I can't tell if you genuinely think that I should use wraps or if you think that I'm going to catapult a weight into my face because I've wrapped my hands.

fyi, I currently do 35 lbs kettlebell swings and will be upping the weight this weekend... I've never lost control of the kettlebell while wearing wraps.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I like it when girls have lifting callouses. Most guys don't like super girly girls. Do without the gloves.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    dlvuyovich wrote: »
    From not using gloves, and lifting very heavy, including body weight exercises (pull ups) I ended up with tendonitis in both forearms. As it turns out, a lot of people in my gym, those who are more on the serious side of lifting, have developed this too.
    You do realize, that's not how that works right? You go tendonitis because of repetitive use, also known as not doing enough OTHER things. Gloves have zero impact on that. Regardless of what your cousin's uncle's roommate's chiro may have said about it.

This. The tendonitis was unrelated to using or not using gloves.
    Back to the handwraps, I think that's a great idea, and you should do that. I used to work out at a boxing gym, so we're talking strong guys, good grips, and lots of handwraps. We always loved kettlebell days, because handwraps are so deleterious to grip that those kettlebells would often get launched.

Also this, but to be less sarcastic and make the point less confusing:

Hand wraps will keep you from getting callouses, but will also weaken your grip, making it harder to lift heavy. Think about why boxers wrap their hands -- it has nothing to do with grip. Then think about why lifters wear gloves -- it's ALL about grip. Then you'll have all the answers you need.

Also, it takes all of 2 seconds to put on gloves. A good wrap takes several minutes, and an extra person. Pointless.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i lift about as much and as often as is physically possible, and all i have is two tiny callouses on each hand by my pinky and ring finger. the rest of my hands are smooth. Use lots of chalk , On days i do pullups or heavy DL, my callouses get a little rough, but that goes away in about a half hour. I wont use gloves, it affects my grip
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't use gloves, they impact my grip. That's a big deal when I'm cranking a deadlift that's 90% of my max.

If you are going to get a silly set of gloves, get the smallest that you can fit on. Note, they don't need to be comfortable, just the smallest and least likely to compress you can find. That should impact your grip the least.

It's very hard to find small gloves. Does anyone know where to get extra small gloves?

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Are you being sarcastic about handwraps being a great idea? I thought you were serious, but then you wrote the thing about the kettlebells...

I still can't tell if you're being serious. I'm not sure if it's because you're doing it on purpose or because I have Aspergers (really) and sometimes have difficulty with things like sarcasm, but I'm being completely honest when I say that I can't tell if you genuinely think that I should use wraps or if you think that I'm going to catapult a weight into my face because I've wrapped my hands.

I'll break it down.

I think you should try it out. Which means, I believe you should attempt it.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options

I'll break it down.

I think you should try it out. Which means, I believe you should attempt it.

Thanks!
  • dbmata
    Options
    I don't use gloves, they impact my grip. That's a big deal when I'm cranking a deadlift that's 90% of my max.

If you are going to get a silly set of gloves, get the smallest that you can fit on. Note, they don't need to be comfortable, just the smallest and least likely to compress you can find. That should impact your grip the least.

It's very hard to find small gloves. Does anyone know where to get extra small gloves?

Amazon. They have everything. (Except Dodgers logo condoms to use on Giants fans.)
  • powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The heavy weights also became too much for my wrists. And my callouses would get torn open every time I deadlifted (200#+). Not fun. I found a pair of small Harbinger gloves with attached wrist wraps. Callouses are gone and wrists feel much better.

Do what makes the experience comfortable for you. Don't worry about others' preferences.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Amazon. They have everything. (Except Dodgers logo condoms to use on Giants fans.)

Thanks! :laugh:
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you whether you should or shouldn't use them OP, but you may want to consider Versa Gripps. You can use them for pushing exercises, much like a glove, and they double as straps for pulling exercises so your grip on the weight will actually be more secure than barehanded/with chalk.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Wrist wraps can be helpful. I've experimented with them for heavy bench, but my weights aren't heavy enough to wrap yet. (Only 225# bench)

In just looking at my hands today, this is after working deadlifts at 90% my 1RM, Bench up to 105% my 1RM (new 1RM), various db work.

I have a little callous under my middle finger, and a little one under my ring finger on both hands. Maybe the size of an orange seed per, if that. Put a little cocoa butter on them and they go away.
  • perfectlytrained
    perfectlytrained Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    dlvuyovich wrote: »
    From not using gloves, and lifting very heavy, including body weight exercises (pull ups) I ended up with tendonitis in both forearms. As it turns out, a lot of people in my gym, those who are more on the serious side of lifting, have developed this too.
    You do realize, that's not how that works right? You go tendonitis because of repetitive use, also known as not doing enough OTHER things. Gloves have zero impact on that. Regardless of what your cousin's uncle's roommate's chiro may have said about it.

This. The tendonitis was unrelated to using or not using gloves.
    Back to the handwraps, I think that's a great idea, and you should do that. I used to work out at a boxing gym, so we're talking strong guys, good grips, and lots of handwraps. We always loved kettlebell days, because handwraps are so deleterious to grip that those kettlebells would often get launched.

Also this, but to be less sarcastic and make the point less confusing:

Hand wraps will keep you from getting callouses, but will also weaken your grip, making it harder to lift heavy. Think about why boxers wrap their hands -- it has nothing to do with grip. Then think about why lifters wear gloves -- it's ALL about grip. Then you'll have all the answers you need.

Also, it takes all of 2 seconds to put on gloves. A good wrap takes several minutes, and an extra person. Pointless.

I would disagree with the analysis of hand wraps given here.

- All good wraps definitely do not require an extra person. Some do, but many styles can be done individually. Once a person is proficient at it, wrapping both hands takes about 5 minutes (yes, I've timed it, and I wrap my hands myself). I would not consider that a huge amount of time considering the benefits that wrapping my hands gives me.

- There are different styles to hand wrapping. Yes, the traditional boxer's wrap would not be effective for lifting weights, however a modified muay-thai wrap style is golden as it doesn't detract from the grip and allows a person to very precisely control the tension around all joints in the hand and wrist for protection and additional support if needed.

I can only speak for myself and for my SO who transitions often from heavy lifting to MA afterwards. He's been lifting heavy for years.... I lift heavy for a female, but only have a year under my belt. Even so, I am earning respect from the heavy lifters (both men and women) in my gym.

To each there own. I would definitely recommend that the OP try the wraps. If anything, they're usually cheaper than lifting gloves and will last much longer as well. As I said in my first post, I would strongly suggest that the OP find someone who is proficient at wrapping hands so that she can learn how to do so *effectively* (ie: for lifting).
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I wear men's weight lifting gloves with wrist wraps, I find women's gloves way too small and flimsy.

Female here (obviously).
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    Wrist wraps can be helpful. I've experimented with them for heavy bench, but my weights aren't heavy enough to wrap yet. (Only 225# bench)

In just looking at my hands today, this is after working deadlifts at 90% my 1RM, Bench up to 105% my 1RM (new 1RM), various db work.

I have a little callous under my middle finger, and a little one under my ring finger on both hands. Maybe the size of an orange seed per, if that. Put a little cocoa butter on them and they go away.

Yours don't sound as bad as mine.

After lifting yesterday, I had callouses under each of my four fingers (not thumbs) and tiny blisters on each palm. Today I can still see all of them except for the ones under my index fingers. They also seemed to have dried out compared to the rest of my hands.

I use a lot of moisturizer already so I don't think it's a lack of moisturizer. My weights have a rough texture that I assume is to help with grip.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    use chalk instead.

Chalk probably wouldn't work for me right now because I work out at home, and it sounds messy, lol. Thanks, though. I'll keep it in mind for later.

Liquid Grip isn't messy. Second chalk over gloves.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't know that liquid chalk is the answer for preventing calluses though. It's low mess, it's nice for grip... but it also dries your hands out pretty badly. At the end of the day though, your hands are never going to be perfectly smooth if you're into barbell training.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    I don't know that liquid chalk is the answer for preventing calluses though. It's low mess, it's nice for grip... but it also dries your hands out pretty badly. At the end of the day though, your hands are never going to be perfectly smooth if you're into barbell training.

Technically I'm still using dumbbells, lol. ;) My heaviest dumbbells are 25 lbs, but I range from 15-25 lbs in each hand depending on what I'm doing. (There, now you can all make fun of me.) I also use kettlebells and some body weight exercises.

It just seems like a lot of damage on my hands. It must have been building up over time, but I didn't notice until yesterday so it seems like my hands are suddenly calloused. I mean, if they're already getting calloused, then what's going to happen when I do get a barbell and really heavy weights. It's going to be a hand blood bath (literally?).

I thought that a lot of people used gloves before I posted this. I'm definitely going to look for the liquid chalk, the versa grips, wraps, and tiny gloves. I'm not sure in what order, though. I was hoping to save money by asking this question, but that seems like it won't be the case. Either way, I just want to do whatever works the best for my hands/safety. Dbmata has me turbo afraid that I'm going to lose my grip on a weight and break my face, my foot, my television, or my wall. Knowing me it'll probably be face. :o
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I think chalk helps with calluses because it prevents the bar from moving around in my hand and rubbing. Hand washing and moisturizing prevents the dryness.

I've never had bad problems with my hands and they don't look torn up or anything. Might be that you skin just needs to toughen up a bit.

I would experiment with different methods and see which you like. You can always change. I used gloves for a while but as the weight I was pulling increased, they stopped helping me. They inhibited my grip and didn't protect my hands anyway.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Hardly anyone at my gym uses gloves and no one uses hand wraps for lifting.. just saying