Toning- how to do it!?

Options
Hey everyone,
I was wondering which exercise you do to tone yourself. I am mostly doing cardio exercises (Zumba, Aerobics) and swimming at the moment and wondering if I should do something else to start the toning...?
I would be interested to hear what you are doing!
Thanks. :)

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Grab small weights and start curling.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Grab HEAVY weights & start toning! You cannot "bulk up" like a guy -- unless you have a history of being given steroids for anti-inflammation, OR unless you have the, um "equipment" that a guy has. Go for it & good luck!:smile:
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Strength training to build your muscles up, and cardio/diet to burn the fat layered on top of them.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    YOu are already doing it. Nothing will get you better toned than swimming and dancing.
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you are going to a gym/Y/Fitness center and they have the Les Mills Body Pump...it is an amazing class that will definitely help tone your muscles. I have been going for about 3 months now and love the class...and I am seeing the results!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Grab small weights and start curling.

Light weights are practically useless. If you can lift a weight more than 15 times without tiring, it's not going to build strength or muscle. Lift heavy and you'll see results.
  • Sherijl
    Sherijl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Start with some light weights and work your way up. If you're going to a gym a lot of the weight machines are pretty fool proof
    and if you still can't figure them out, staff are usually great about showing there members how to work the machines.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Supersets or circuit weight training. I change it up so i don't get bored.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    you have to lift a weight that is heavier than what you normally lift day to day... if your shoulder bag weighs 10 pounds then lifting 5-8 pound weights aren't going to do anything...

if you are constantly lifting a 2 year old up and down all day long, with ease, then lifting that bit of weight isn't going to do anything for you either...

if you are not struggling wiht your weight you are lifting you aren't doing anything for your body... start lifting HEAVY weights...

cardio won't get you toned...
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Actually we all have muscle tone. We just have to burn off the layer of fat that covers them (we all have 6-pack abs).
    Muscles can do 3 things:
    get bigger and/or stronger
    get smaller and/or weaker
    stay the same.

The problem with calorie restrictions and cardio is they end up burning off lean muscle mass too. This is why you lose weight but stay "soft" (in fact when you get to healthier weights (i.e. close to your goal) your body will actually start to protect your fat reserves. And small weights won't do anything for you. It isn't the size of the weight specifically. For increasing muscle size you want weights heavy enough to get in 8-10 reps to fail (can't do the rep without losing form). For leaner muscles (but still strong): heavy enough for 12-15 reps to fail. The last three should BURN! (I got this from P90X - Tony Horton). You won't bulk up - in fact it's all you can do to preserve your lean muscle mass while on a calorie restriction and doing lots of intense cardio.

I always recommend 2 sites for information: www.bodyrecomposition.com (you have to dig a little for the articles but there are some great ones!) Here's one interesting article: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

AND http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPAdaptation.html.

If you are at or close to a healthy weight then switch your focus over to heavy weights and use cardio only as a supplement to the weight training.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Do not "tone" muscles, LIFT heavier weight (8-12 reps)! Here is a great article for your reference:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/myth-of-women-lifting-heavy.htm

We, women, just simply don't have enough those type of hormone to have the muscles like a man when we do weights. Another good book about this:
    "The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess".

Something simple you can start with: push-ups. Challenge yourself with this:
    http://hundredpushups.com/

In addition to workout on upper body strength, you should so some core body workout (including abs)
  • jessicaj_824
    jessicaj_824 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Pilates as a great toning tool. Weights are great and should be used regularly but I think adding in Pilates keeps you long and lean, as well as adding flexibility.
  • ashleyb1031
    ashleyb1031 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump