Heart rate monitor

Options
I'm a noob when it comes to techie stuff but im hoping there's something out there like what I'm looking for.

What I would like is a arm or chest band (I cant wear anything on my wrist while I'm working) that i can link to my phone and tracks my heart rate, calories burned, sleep schedule, steps and distance walked per day or at least comes close to doing most of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• karmasays
    karmasays Posts: 82 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    http://www.bodymedia.com/

It's an arm band that you wear for around 23hours a day/night.

If you get the link band, it is blue tooth ready and can be updated via their phone app OR plugged into the computer to be uploaded/charged.

It doesn't track your heart rate...I don't think there are any out there that do?

eta: Oh, and it can be synced with MFP :smile:
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    thanks that looks great. does anyone here use it? whats the $7 per month for?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    adamtall wrote: »
    I'm a noob when it comes to techie stuff but im hoping there's something out there like what I'm looking for.

What I would like is a arm or chest band (I cant wear anything on my wrist while I'm working) that i can link to my phone and tracks my heart rate, calories burned, sleep schedule, steps and distance walked per day or at least comes close to doing most of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

There are heart rate monitors and activity trackers.....they measure 2 different things.

A heart rate monitor with a chest strap gives a good calorie burn estimate for steady state cardio workouts.....not strength, not circuit, not hiit....and so on. A HRM with a chest strap are more accurate than the wrist only jobs.....they also have a watch worn in conjunction so you can stop, start, etc. Don't worry about wearing anything on your wrist, because these are not designed to be worn 24/7 anyway.

An activity tracker ....I have a FitBit One (no monthly fee) it measure steps, stairs and step based workouts. There is no heart rate element, but it's not a bad estimate if your workouts are step based. This will track your sleep (patterns) can be linked in phone and/or MFP. FitBit has a nice website. A FitBit One can be worn under clothing. I wear mine clipped to my bra. This comes close to giving me my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). This will be useful for maintenance.
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

There are heart rate monitors and activity trackers.....they measure 2 different things.

A heart rate monitor with a chest strap gives a good calorie burn estimate for steady state cardio workouts.....not strength, not circuit, not hiit....and so on. A HRM with a chest strap are more accurate than the wrist only jobs.....they also have a watch worn in conjunction so you can stop, start, etc. Don't worry about wearing anything on your wrist, because these are not designed to be worn 24/7 anyway.

An activity tracker ....I have a FitBit One (no monthly fee) it measure steps, stairs and step based workouts. There is no heart rate element, but it's not a bad estimate if your workouts are step based. This will track your sleep (patterns) can be linked in phone and/or MFP. FitBit has a nice website. A FitBit One can be worn under clothing. I wear mine clipped to my bra. This comes close to giving me my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). This will be useful for maintenance.

Ok just want to make sure I'm clear on it I'm basically liking for two deprecate things and there's not one that combines them
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    adamtall wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

Ok just want to make sure I'm clear on it I'm basically liking for two deprecate things and there's not one that combines them

There is supposed to be something that sorta does.... Polar Loop

http://gizmodo.com/polar-loop-activity-tracker-review-a-circle-behind-the-1476199684

But essentially it's 2 separate (but linked) gadgets. The loop is a bracelet type deal though.

There is a FitBit group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

....and other groups as well. These would have lots of info.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you want an activity tracker plus HRM. There is Polar Loop, VivoFit, or VivoSmart. I have a VivoFit, and you can buy the bundle that has the activity tracker + HRM. However, the activity tracker portion is meant to be worn on the wrist all day. But there is no fee.
  • jahzbuttafly
    jahzbuttafly Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    @jdhcm2006 Hi, I currently use a FitBit Flex, but I am looking for device w/a HRM and an all rounder (with the exception of GPS). How are you liking the VivoFit? I am researching and am being drawn to the Garmin Vivo devices.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could come up with alternate locations for the watch? Necklace, anklet, tuck it into your clothing, etc?
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Withings pulse has an Optical HRM. Fitbit do clips. There's also the Misfit Shine that can even clip into a necklace.

As for HRM, there are lots of Bluetooth HRM's that will connect to a phone and you can use whatever appropriate app you like. I have a Bluetooth Adidas MiCoach HRM that works with my phone, but Wahoo and polar also do them.

Scosche do the Rhythm/Rhythm+ HRM that supports Bluetooth and ANT+ (so will work with Garmin devices as well) that straps around your arm (not wrist) instead of chest. I've not used one, but like the look of it as it would mean no messing about hitching a strap around mid exercise when it slips down, plus its optical, so you don't have to rub water (i.e. spit) or gel on the contacts (I'm convinced people think I'm being kinky when I forget to wet my strap because I'm then stood at the side of the road licking my thumbs, then what looks like "lubing up" my nipples, believe me I get some odd stares!).
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    @jahzbuttafly I love the VivoFit. I went through a bit of a tug of war between the Fit and the Smart, but the Fit's year round battery won it for me. I also didn't need any of the extra bells and whistles that the Smart has. The Fit has HRM capabilities, it can count my steps, monitor my sleep, tells me how many miles I run, and it syncs to MFP. All of which I wanted. So for me it works.

I've heard that people have issues with the clasps on the Vivos, but I purchased an inexpensive little rubber band to go on it, so I don't worry about. Also, Garmin is giving these rubberband things out to people who have purchased a Vivo device.
  • jahzbuttafly
    jahzbuttafly Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    @jdhcm2006 Thank you for your input! :) I actually bought a Vivofit and cannot wait to get. I am currently using a FitBit, but want a more accurate gauge when I begin running again.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Check out your local Walmart Sporting Goods department.....when I was shopping for HRMs, they now have blue tooth enabled ones that you can wear around your chest (the HRM strap that gets your pulse) and link via bluetooth with your phone......so nothing on your wrist.....

It's funny you mention this, cause since I've lost so much weight, WATCHES feel HELLA WEIRD on my wrist now! LOL.....I actually stopped using my HRM for a couple months.....and then went back to it, when I got my Fitbit Flex (which is quite awesome I might add!) and have been wearing them both to the gym just for comparison type runs.....but yea, the Fitbit just seems different......I guess I'm too new to it, the calorie burn seems to be a bit off......and it's weird that it only monitors your hand movements lol. I'm left handed......but since I got the Fitbit, I've noticed how much I actually use my NON-DOMINANT hand.......lol. Some days it makes me wonder if I should set it up differently.....cause it asks what my dominant hand it when I set it up.....like at work, I open boxes with my right hand :X lol.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    @jahzbuttafly I'm happy to help. I hope you like it.