New to MFP

Options
I just started today....any suggestions for quelling night time snacking? Also, anyone know how to put MFP as shortcut on Decktop? Thanks.

Replies

• rlwilson1967
    rlwilson1967 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can't help you on the night time snacking. I blow my allotted calories in the evenings for dinner and snacks, so I'm hoping someone has great ideas for you!
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Welcome! One of the best ways to cure nighttime snack is to drink water! Sometimes we mistake dehydration for hunger. Drink a cup or two of cold water and wait a bit - go read a book or something else to distract you. If you are still hungry after 20 min, it might be that you actually are not eating enough. I would say then it might be okay to snack on some healthy foods: carrots, almonds, raw veggies are the foods that might help you feel fuller. But be sure to record it!

As for putting MFP on your desktop, not sure there is a program file equivalent. However, you can always bookmark this site in your browser for easy access. Also, there is a free MFP app for your smartphone. Can really only put foods into your tracker on the app, but very convenient for that nonetheless!
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Hello & Welcome to MFP!

I guess I need to clarify WHEN is 'night time' snacking for you?

'Night Time' as in midnight? 2 a.m.? Or is it more within an hour after dinner?

My personal night time routine is to curl up with a nice cup of hot tea and have a snack 1 - 1 1/2 hrs after dinner - as long as I have calories to spare. I choose snacks that are satisfying like dark cocoa dusted almonds or PB on a choc chip waffle. I always measure & portion my snacks.

When I was still losing I'd purposely go brush my teeth once I logged for the day because NOTHING tastes good after Listerine. hahaha :D

Also, if I have a particular larger portion of lean protein with lots of veggies for dinner, I tend not to hanker for a snack at all most evenings. SO maybe assess if you are eating enough for dinner?

Good luck ...

P.S. - Sry don't know about the whole MFP & desktop thing. I do most of my MFPing on my phone. :|
  • Tyesands42
    Options
    hi everyone!
    i find drinking water to help with hunger at night too. i will fill a cup with ice and a LaCroix sparkling water and that will usually do the trick! i might also have a slice or two of Hormel Natural lunch meat - just as long as i log it in!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I pre plan my night time snacks in the morning when I fill in my food diary for the day. That way I know I have snacks planned for the evening when I am watching TV and need a munchie! Never deny yourself. Just work it in to your calorie allowance! Good Luck!