MFP Runners Club 11-22

Options
Did the Turkey Trot today in under freezing weather. 24 at race time with a wind chill of 16. Finished under 27 minutes for the first time ever. Super psyched about that. It only gets better. :drinker:

Replies

• SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Did the Turkey Trot today in under freezing weather. 24 at race time with a wind chill of 16. Finished under 27 minutes for the first time ever. Super psyched about that. It only gets better. :drinker:
  • trossbeaudry
    Options
    New to MFP but am a runner. Currently training for 1/2 Marathon in Feb (in Canada BTW) called the Hypothermic. Anyone else training right now? What are your goal races?
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Sherry - good job on the run :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

tross - Welcome to the group - I am training for a 1/2 M in Madeira Beach, Fl in three weeks, and a second 1/2M in Clearwater FL in January. I was supposed to run 15 miles this morning, bu work intervened, maybe later this afternoon. There's always Sunday. Good luck on the Hypothermic (Sounds like fun :huh: )
  • itzcool4me
    Options
    Yes, good job! :flowerforyou:

I'm not very fast, have short legs, and just started running. At the end of February I'm starting a 12 week training program for a 1/2 Marathon in May. But before I do that I'm increasing my weekly mileage by 10% each week. I need to train before I start training!

I have a 5K in Chicago on December 7 and if I can finish under 30 minutes, then I'd be ecstatic. My first 5K was in September and I finished in 34:04 and that's the first 5K I've ever done and only the 2nd time in my LIFE that I've run that much.

Good luck to everyone and their goals. I almost feel the more you run the more you like it! :happy:
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Good job on your run.:drinker: I too ran in cold weather today finished 10 miles though.. Another running week starts tomorrow..

Alisha
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I did 7 miles with my training group. We are training for a half marathon in Feb. We don't have hills but we ran over 3 bridges this morning. The temps were in the upper 30's to lower 40's It was cool to me. But we had a very nice run along and across the St Johns river.
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone! I did it! I ran my first 10K and I was able to run the whole thing. I am so excited. It is true the more you run the more you like it! My time was very slow but my goal was to be able to run the whole thing so I am thrilled! The hardest part was the beginning and the end. Weird huh? In the beginning I thought "oh no I'm never gonna be able to finish this" but then I found my pace and did fine. Then at Mile 5 my legs felt heavy so I had some gu and was able to keep going. But those last 6 blocks were a killer? What was that? Anyway - can't wait to do it again!
    Bunny
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm new around here too..

I just did my first triathlon a couple weeks ago, I have a 10K trail run that I want to do in december, and a few more triathlons in 2009.

Today was not a run day, it was a fun (Aerobics) day, my next run day is Monday, probably 5 or 6 miles.
    :heart:
  • rlh0614
    rlh0614 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi there.... I am new to running - I have done 2 5ks in the past few months - my best time was 34 minutes. I am hoping to work up to a half next year. We'll see... but it is a great feeling.. I just hate the cold weather... I need to move some place warm!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have my first 10K tomorrow...what is gu? Is it that powerbar stuff? The most I've ever run was 5.5...this race will be freezing though. Does this really give you the boost?? Where do they sell it at....what are the best flavors?
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Got my 15 miles in. I am tired!!:yawn:

Welcome Tiddle and rlh!
    Bunny -great job on the 10 K.

As far as the Gu question goes, any run under an hour, you probably don't need to carry it. You should have enough 'body reserves' to run that long, especially if you have something before the race. But, hey, it will give you that sugar boost, and if that's what it takes to get through the race, go for it. (Michnthecity, if you haven't tried it before, your 10 K tomorrow is not the best time to experiment - you may end up with stomach cramps if you're not used to taking it on your training runs - good luck with the race)
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Got my 15 miles in. I am tired!!:yawn:

Welcome Tiddle and rlh!
    Bunny -great job on the 10 K.

As far as the Gu question goes, any run under an hour, you probably don't need to carry it. You should have enough 'body reserves' to run that long, especially if you have something before the race. But, hey, it will give you that sugar boost, and if that's what it takes to get through the race, go for it. (Michnthecity, if you haven't tried it before, your 10 K tomorrow is not the best time to experiment - you may end up with stomach cramps if you're not used to taking it on your training runs - good luck with the race)

Great advice, Tom! That is exactly what I would say. I don't usually use a GU until over 10 miles. (and I can NOT do Vanilla Gu anymore, I got so burnt out on it while marathon training! :noway: ) I like the Jelly Belly Sport Beans, I used them this summer for the triathlons. Do NOT try something new out before a race!! Good luck!

And Tom ~ WTG on the 15 miles!! You should be tired!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options

Great job and great pace!!! Yep, it only gets better!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Good job on your run.:drinker: I too ran in cold weather today finished 10 miles though.. Another running week starts tomorrow..

Alisha

Great job getting out in the cold! I'll be out running tomorrow and it will be chilly!! :wink:

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm new around here too..

I just did my first triathlon a couple weeks ago, I have a 10K trail run that I want to do in december, and a few more triathlons in 2009.

Today was not a run day, it was a fun (Aerobics) day, my next run day is Monday, probably 5 or 6 miles.
    :heart:

Welcome! I love the triathlons, I got into them this summer. They are FUN! Good luck on your 10K!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hi there.... I am new to running - I have done 2 5ks in the past few months - my best time was 34 minutes. I am hoping to work up to a half next year. We'll see... but it is a great feeling.. I just hate the cold weather... I need to move some place warm!

Great job, especially being a new runner! It isn't so bad once you get used to the cold and dress for it. I live in IL, so I have to deal with it from October- around March. :ohwell:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    New to MFP but am a runner. Currently training for 1/2 Marathon in Feb (in Canada BTW) called the Hypothermic. Anyone else training right now? What are your goal races?

Wow, I don't know if I'd want to do a run called the Hypothermic!! :laugh: I'm not training for anything right now, but will begin training in the late winter/ spring for a half marathon (Indy Mini). It will be my 3rd HM. Now I just run because I enjoy it. :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hello, runners!! No run for me today, I did a gym style leg workout this morning and ended up doing a Just Arms workout tonight (Tony's one on one). Getting in as many workouts as I can because we're leaving for vacation tomorrow!! :bigsmile: I'm running w/ my buddies early though, probably 5 miles.

We're going to TX to see my brother & his wife for the week!! My Mom & older brother are going along w/ our family also. My kids are so excited!! :bigsmile:

So... I have my running shoes and Garmin ready, I have a resistance band so I can still do some workouts, and am going to enjoy some fun in the sun!! :wink:

Have a happy Thanksgiving if I don't get a chance to check in before then!

Jess
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have my first 10K tomorrow...what is gu? Is it that powerbar stuff? The most I've ever run was 5.5...this race will be freezing though. Does this really give you the boost?? Where do they sell it at....what are the best flavors?

I'll put in my two cents. Our training group does "gu" at around 4 miles. It is just electrolyte replacement sugar and maybe caffiene. You may not technically NEED it but it helps when you are running out of steam. Power bar makes one that tastes good. You can get it at the drug store where the power bars are. I like strawberry banana, but there is chocolate, coffee, vanilla plain etc. There are several brands our running store sells.

But I agree - you should test it out because some people have an upset stomach with it!
    Good luck tomorrow!
    Bunny
  • paul82682
    Options
    hey hey my wife and i did a turkey trot today, too! our first 10K! it was cold but not quite 24. we were a little wary b/c we stopped training for it about 4 weeks ago but ended up doing pretty well all in all.