What to so when stats dont add up?

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight over time (and yes, water retention/other stuff can hide fat loss), then you aren't in a deficit.

1- are you logging accurately (with a food scale)?
    2- are you tracking exercise accurately?
    3- is this a random variation (have you been at the same weight or higher for over 6 weeks)?

• thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    not gonna use a food scale, ever.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Then just keep reducing your guestimate calories until you lose weight. But in general, life is a lot easier with a food scale.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Then you're eating more than you think
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    How do calorie deficits work over time though? When do you "punch in and punch out" regarding the results?

In other words, can one bad Saturday night ruin a few days work? I assume yes, but one bad Saturday cant ruin two weeks worth of work right, because you created multiple deficits each day?

I have gone under my calorie goals a few days during a week in order to plan ahead for a party/dinner out, and I have stayed consistent in my weight loss. Keep in mind that on my "over" day, I still try to stay below what my calorie level to maintain my current weight would be. For example, I currently try to eat around 1500 a day. To maintain my current weight I would eat no more than 2000 a day. I might take 4 days and eat only 1400, and use those extra 400 on my "over" day.

It seems to me that you are having too many over days that go too far over.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you don't want to use a food scale, (and that's fine, btw, it's just a tool, albeit a MUCH more effective one), how are you measuring your food? Are you at least using measuring cups and spoons?

Edit: Also, are you being sure to use only the most accurate database entries (ones without an asterisk whenever possible, only items confirmed by other users if you need to use a user-created entry, nothing marked "Generic" or "Homemade," etc.)? Are you using the recipe builder tool for anything you make yourself?
  • thedarkwombat
    Options
    i measure and go by packaging and labels.
  • SWEETMAY84
    SWEETMAY84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Answering your questions, Stats don't add up because there has being a lack of consistency, to the question what to do? commit again to consistent logs and keep going! we all have set backs, its normal!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Food is packaged by weight, so if you aren't weighing what you eat, you probably don't know how much you are actually eating. 3/4 cup of granola is a lot more granola than 50 g (in my experience) and the same goes for a serving of mayo, peanut butter, pasta, rice.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

There's your answer. Your logging isn't as accurate as you'd like to believe. Since you are not weighing your food you don't actually know how many calories you're consuming. But you do know you're not losing weight. So if you are determined to lose weight without weighing your food, then you're going to have to eat portions smaller than what you think is a serving size.

Also, packaging and labels can be off by as much as 20%.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    1. Inaccurate logging from not weighing food
    2. Inaccurate calories just based on the fact that nutrition labels can even be 10% off
    3. Inaccurate calories burned from exercise (no one can do this perfectly, even with a HRM)
    4. Inconsistent daily energy expenditure (everyone varies how much they move day to day)
    5. Water weight fluctuations

And seriously, you're complaining about 2-3 lbs difference from your calculation? Seriously? As scientific as weight loss is (CICO, meaning you'll lose if you create a deficit), its really not THAT exact over the long term. Hence why most people won't hit the "in 5 weeks you'd weigh" mark spot on.

It's all estimates. Even people who are as precise as possible are still just using best estimates. That's not an argument to not be precise, but just the reality of what weight management is.

ETA:
    6. Inaccurate BMR (BMR for online calculators are based on averages, its not specifically tailored to you)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Then eat less because you're eating more than you think.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Please listen to the people here who say you are eating mire than you realize, otherwise you would be losing weight.

A food scale is simply a tool to ensure accuracy because our eyes, hands, and measuring spoons/cups are bigger than the actual portions. Also, keep in mind that food databases contain generic portion descriptions, and that a tablespoon of peanut butter is more than 16 grams and not all medium bananas have the same calories.

Lots of hip people, young and old and middle aged, have food scales in their kitchens. It's pretty much the "in" thing now. I urge you to give it a try, and then if you don't like it, give it to you grandmother.
  • thedarkwombat
    Options
    I dont get food scales. So instead of counting calories I am counting pounds? If I use cups, 1/2 cups, teaspoons, etc isn't that measuring my food?
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You are still counting calories. A food scale just helps you determine what an actual serving of something is. Example, my granola says 1/2 (55g) but using a food scale I have noticed that 55g is actually more like 1/3 of a cup. If I use the 1/2 cup measurement I am going to be eating more calories than I log and therefore am eating more than I think I am calorie wise.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No, you'd still be counting calories. Weighing is more accurate than measuring because what the manufacturer says should be a 1-cup serving size could be closer to 3/4 of a cup when it's weighed out. By going by the grams listed for the serving, you're more likely to be eating that much.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I dont get food scales. So instead of counting calories I am counting pounds? If I use cups, 1/2 cups, teaspoons, etc isn't that measuring my food?

You're counting grams/ounces of your food and then logging those weights of food in your diary for the calorie counts. It's just a math equation.

For example, you have 100 grams of carrots. You go to the database, type "Carrots Raw", select the entry without the * and put in that you have 100g of carrots. It'll show up as 41 calories. Congrats, you consumed 100g of carrots that account for 41 calories of your day. Boom, logged. Now do that for the rest of your food.

Math! YAY! Finally putting those skills to use! ;)
  • thedarkwombat
    Options
    thank you guys, very helpful.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Food scales will give you an much more accurate reading of how much you are eating. Measuring cups/spoons are great and absolutely better than not measuring at all, but they are not as accurate when it comes to solid foods.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have 'kicked' their weight loss back on track by trying the 5:2 diet for a while. It could be an interesting approach to try, if you have been logging accurately. :smile: