P90X-For those of you that are currently pressing play or gr

Options
This is my second attempt at P90X! I am so focused and ready to "BRING IT" every single day. However, I want to be as accurate at logging the correct exercise/calories burned so I will get the best results. I have been logging it under the pre-listed activity but, tweaking it. I keep second guessing if I am giving myself to much or not enough credit. How are you tracking your calories burned? HELP!

Replies

• gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I did 2 or 3 sessions of P90X basically for the last 6 months or more, I can't even remember now. Anyway, ideally they say you burn 600 calories per workout. I felt that was over inflated, especially since I personally couldn't do every workout with as many reps as they did. For example, I can only do girl pushups and assisted pull ups with a chair. I estimated 400 calories burned per workout and that seemed right. I hope this helps you. Gael
  • fluffy831
    fluffy831 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor and log as cardio.
  • briang1224
    Options
    I usually list it as aerobic or enter in my own calories burned based on what my heart rate monitor says.

I wear my heart rate monitor even on the weight days because thats usually a cardio work out by itself if you try to keep up with the pace.
  • MaryKayWag
    MaryKayWag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I had the same questions/concerns so finally I bought a watch that tracks the calories for me. It is a Bowflex - SBT-11081 - Fit Watch Strapless Heart Rate Monitor with Calorie Counter. I love it! Otherwise, I don't think anything is going to be a very good measure for P90X or other DVD type workouts.
  • Amberbertsch
    Amberbertsch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I posted on this topic as well. People suggested wearing a heart monitor to track calories burned...and then just add them under Cardio. I don't have a working HRM....so I'm a bit frustrated. However, the Kenpo/Plyo days are super cardio...so you probably burn a ton. Especially compared to the Shoulders/Arms workout. Great job! You look great and I'm so glad to know another girl that can "Bring It!"
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I use a heart rate monitor for this.
  • june_warner
    june_warner Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am currently on my 6th round of P90X and I use a HRM and put my calorie burn under cardio because it IS cardio for me! LOL And your body needs food to fuel your body even on lifting days, especially P90X!! Good Luck and keep pushing play!!!
  • rjsbailey
    rjsbailey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor and log as cardio.

I do the same(HR monitor) for any and all work outs- Turbo jam, Turbo fire, insanity- even running and speed walking. All the database calories burned have been over inflated for me. this was hard to except at first because I though I was burning over 400 every workout but sometimes for a HIIT class I only get 250 calories burned in 20 minutes. It has however helped me be more realistic and therefore smarter about my food calories. I get better results with more accurate data! Good luck with P90X again- all my friends opted to go with P90X and i hear great things! You will do great, look great- feel great- just know you can and do it!!!
  • jpeper1966
    Options
    The calorie counts in MFP's database seem to be set a little high. I wouldnt adjust them upward for any reason.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor.
  • bootlebop1979
    Options
    Thank you everyone! It looks like HRM is on my "to get" list =) I will log as 400 per day as suggested until I get my HRM. Thanks again!!
  • bootlebop1979
    Options
    Btw- for all you P90X pros-you ROCK and I will be just like you!