FitBit and other devices

Options
Has anyone tried the FitBit or anything like it? I'm looking into getting one that's not over $150. Are they worth it? Have they helped you with your goals and overall fitness?

Replies

• ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting (for eternity, apparently) for my BodyMedia FIT to come. I picked that model because most of the activity trackers, such as FitBits, are step based. A pretty significant amount of my exercise comes from lifting and I didn't want that not to register with my tracker.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I found the Fitbit helped me personally, but mostly just by being more mindful of how lazy I really was on my lazy days (not that I have TOO many of them, but still). My Force kicked the bucket though no my run Sunday (after the smallest bit of sweat...) so I'm not sure if I'll keep waiting for the new model or go another route once I get my rebate check back.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Body Media user - and yep I set goals with it and it motivates me to hit those goals. I've began moving more and MFP links with it so it shows me my deficit, calories burned, sleep, steps, etc. I really am enjoying it!
  • sslopez24
    sslopez24 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the FitBit or anything like it? I'm looking into getting one that's not over $150. Are they worth it? Have they helped you with your goals and overall fitness?

My husband got me the fitbit about 2 weeks ago for my b-day. I love it!! It shows me how inactive/active I've been all day and it motivates me to move more therefore burn more calories. I love mine!!!
  • EvelineUK
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivofit and love that you can read your steps and calories burned right from the device without having to synch it. I bought mine in a bundle with a chest strap HRM that I use for exercise, and all that in combination with the Garmin Connect software that also synchs with MFP makes it perfect for me. I love it.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've had a fitbit since March and went from consistently doing about 4,000 steps a day to 9-12,000 a day, on average. I've found it to be a big motivator! I like that it syncs to MFP but would caution you to "feel out" whether the calories it adds back seem right to you. Like anything, for some people it can overestimate. I find that if I'm going off fitbit calories I still need to leave a few "on the table" and not eat them all back consistently.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other helpful features of Vivofit, I really like the "red bar of shame" that will not go away unless you get up and walk around (or add the HRM and do another activity). Inactivity time and being inactive for more than an hour (or even 30 minutes) at a time is a risk factor for metabolic diseases independent of any other exercise done during the day.

BTW I am Polly274 on Garmin Connect and happy to connect to anyone who is interested in health and fitness here or on GC