Whats the difference with Greek Yogurt

Options
I see plenty of ppl eating it rather than regular yogurt. So whats the difference??

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Basically, it's a strained yogurt, making it much thicker and creamier than normal yogurt, while also reducing the carbs and doubling the protein.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yes all that plus it's yummy and more filling too:)
  • wendyleach
    wendyleach Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ok i was wondering too. but it has way more calories thatn the yogurt i buy. so is it better for you or it tastes better???
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just tried this a couple weeks ago, and I'm hooked! I still love regular yoplait every now and then, but I've started using Greek yogurt in recipes in place of sour cream. It's wonderful stuff!
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's yummy and filling but know if has NO SUGAR or any sweetener.
  • artvandalay
    Options
    It doesn't have that sour, runny taste that regular yogurt has. It's thicker, creamier in consistency... kind of like sour cream. Loaded in protein. I've tried a bunch and Fage is the best. I hate regular yogurt. The only yogurt I will eat is Greek.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It's got tons of protien(: I love it! and theu make non-fat greek yogurt too!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    ok i was wondering too. but it has way more calories thatn the yogurt i buy. so is it better for you or it tastes better???

One plain, nonfat serving of greek yogurt is 80 calories, sugar free and has 15 grams of protein. Flavored versions tend to be around 130 calories. I think that is pretty close to regular yogurt, unless you get the sugar-free or dessert varieties with very low protein.
  • heatherann76
    Options
    You can make your own by using a rubber band to secure a coffee filter around the top of a wide mouth canning jar and put regular yogurt in it for a few hours. It really winds up much cheaper. And if you make bread, you can store the whey (liquid that drained off) to use in your bread recipes. :wink:
  • Gemini80
    Gemini80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think making it this way tastes better too.
    You can make your own by using a rubber band to secure a coffee filter around the top of a wide mouth canning jar and put regular yogurt in it for a few hours. It really winds up much cheaper. And if you make bread, you can store the whey (liquid that drained off) to use in your bread recipes. :wink:
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    it is not as sweet as the other type of yogurt, but I have developed a taste for it. It is very thick, lots of protein. Chobani is my favorite brand.
  • sliceofsarah
    sliceofsarah Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I can't speak for every brand of greek yogurt, but not all greek yogurt has a crazy amount of calories (some definitely do, though). You just need to check out the nutrition labels to make sure you find ones that are within the calorie range you are shooting for. The greek yogurt I like the best is Fage 0% (and Fage 2% in Peach since I loveee peach!). Fage 0% have only 110-120 calories per container (and Peach has 130) and are very filling and delicious! I eat one everyday for breakfast with some granola and even though it is a low calorie breakfast (260 calories with the granola I eat), I am satisfied until lunch time! I highly recommend. I used to eat Yoplait Light, but I love Greek yogurt so much more!
  • rastrillo
    rastrillo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt doesnt have high fructose corn syrup or added sugars. What it does have is the Whey from the milk, giving twice the protein of other yogurt. There are also many naturally occuring branch chain amino acids in the milk whey.
    So sure there are more calories but they are quality calories, not sugar and corn syrup.
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options

I can't speak for every brand of greek yogurt, but not all greek yogurt has a crazy amount of calories (some definitely do, though). You just need to check out the nutrition labels to make sure you find ones that are within the calorie range you are shooting for. The greek yogurt I like the best is Fage 0% (and Fage 2% in Peach since I loveee peach!). Fage 0% have only 110-120 calories per container (and Peach has 130) and are very filling and delicious! I eat one everyday for breakfast with some granola and even though it is a low calorie breakfast (260 calories with the granola I eat), I am satisfied until lunch time! I highly recommend. I used to eat Yoplait Light, but I love Greek yogurt so much more!

oh that sounds yummy, must get some to try from the grocery store.