Yogurt that isn't sweetened?

Options
I love yogurt. My favorite in the world has to be Strawberry Rhubarb Pie by Anderson Erickson.

But it has something like 28g of sugar per 6oz container!

I'm trying to watch my sugar lately since I went to the doctor a few months back and they found it slightly above their normal range (but not enough to be leading into diabetes). I want to keep that in check for when I go back for additional tests, so I'm watching my sugar.

Are there any brands of yogurt out there that are reasonable when it comes to calories and fat, mediocre to great on the protein scale, but low in sweetner/sugar?

Replies

• eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Plain, nonfat greek yogurt is 80 calories, 15 grams of protein, sugar and fat free.

I like to mix 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries with mine, make it into a parfait, or eat it plain :smile:
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Try fat free chobani plain :] Tastes like cream cheese to me lol
  • sandral73
    sandral73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yo Baby brand is lower in sugar than most. I used to eat that one a lot. Some of the Greek yogurts are low in sugar as well.
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    Exactly what alleyhays said!
    I use Fage and mix in my own fruit, walnuts, raisins or whatever else I want in it.
  • wyomingmama
    wyomingmama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat fat free organic (which by the way is worth the extra cost)! Have you ever used Stevia? I love the liquid steiva that is flavored Vanilla cream! Just takes a little! & It taste so good and has NO Sugar! All Natural. (I say stay away from chemical sweetners!!!!) Any ways Sometimes I have my vogurt at night like a dessert! Yummy!
  • bast2112
    bast2112 Posts: 63
    Options
    Sweeten the plain yogurt (I love the Chobani greek yogurt) yourself with a crunched up granola bar and some fruit preserves. That way you're in control of how sweet and how much sugar.
  • Chicka_Boom
    Options
    Seconding the Fage! It can be a bit pricey but it. is. so. GOOD. It's Greek yogurt - get the low fat kind - and you can add in fruit, nuts, or honey to sweeten it. (The honey is the best, but be careful with how much you add in as it has a lot of calories. Luckily you don't need to add a lot!) Enjoy!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I like Fage 0% with fresh strawberries mixed in.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I use greek yogurt with slightly defrosted frozen berries and a tiny bit of honey.

But if you are trying to keep your blood glucose levels down, be aware that it is carbohydrates that raise those levels not just sugar.

Good luck!
  • cmisty2001
    Options
    Kroger has a carb smart that is low fat / low sugar
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt too! but it does have sugar :-/ The low carb variety from kroger/ralphs is cheap and SOOO so good and packs some good protein too! I would go with that! <3
  • kmreynolds11
    kmreynolds11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I also get the plain non-fat chobani greek yogurt.... then I mix in however much honey I want! I definitely like having the control over how much sweet stuff I'm adding!
  • MintyStarshine
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I still have two regular yogurts in my fridge, but I'll be looking into greek yogurt when I restock.

You guys are awesome!