SUV / Truck buying advice....any opinions?

Options
bane0317
bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
Okay - I seem to be in the market for a Truck or SUV. Wanted to reach Looking at the following:

- looking between 2004 and 2008 (for my budget in NC I can find most of what I mention below within that price range)
- 4 door truck or SUV
- must be able to tow 6500 lb minimum (own 27 ft camper)
- currently own 1995 Tahoe (its just getting older and don't want to stress / stretch trust on long trips, especially hauling camper)
- not really considering Jeep or Ford (personal preference)
- looking for opinions on Toyota Tundra or Sequoia, Nissan Titan or Armada, Dodge Durango or anything similar from GMC, etc.

okay - I know this may become a heated discussion with everyone weighing in on their favorite but let me know what your experiences are. The newest thing I've owned to date is a 1998 Neon. So if I'm gonna make the big leap into a payment I want to get my money's worth!

Replies

• OlyCapitalChick
    OlyCapitalChick Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Toyota's trucks are killing it for keeping their values. JMHO
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Toyota's trucks are killing it for keeping their values. JMHO
    Keeping its value isn't such a big deal when you're buying something older already, though, unless you're only planning to keep it a year or three.

I don't have a lot of experience with towing but I have to say that my husband is completely loving his new Toyota Tacoma. Toyota's service department at our local dealership is also exceptional.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I love my new Yukon XL. My husband just got an Infiniti QX70 and it's pretty sweet. Mine holds all the kids, dogs, and camping gear though.
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,784 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the vehicles you mentioned will support the payload you're considering towing. I have an F250 and it tows my 27' camper great. Just not overly pleased with the gas mileage when towing. If you're opposed to Ford though and want something similar I'd recommend checking out the Chevy or GMC 2500. Still have that towing capacity, and the newer models are getting much better mileage these days.
  • Hockey_Winger
    Hockey_Winger Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    - not really considering Jeep or Ford (personal preference)

I was going to vote F-150 I love mine, but I don't use it as an everyday vehicle. But when I need, it I love it.

IMHO: If you aren't wanting a Ford, spend the money on the Tundra (not sure its tow cap. though). I was close to getting one when at last the second I came across my Ford and the price was too good to pass up. A 2004 I got in 2008 and its still going great and I don't take good care of it.
  • bane0317
    bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The Sequoia would be a stretch for the capacity but in the right trim package the others would be good. I've found Tundras, Titans, Armadas and Durangos at 8000 + lbs of towing capacity.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Toyota lost me as a customer after the Dana Corporation debacle, when their frames weren't rustproofed for a six-year period. My beautiful 1999 Tacoma (see avatar photo) died way too young from a 2x8 inch through-hole in the frame. I don't drive a pickup anymore so can't advise you in that direction, but I'll never give Toyota another dime of my hard-earned money. Best of luck with whatever you choose; I know many others have had perfectly satisfactory experiences with the brand.