Has Anyone Been Able to Lose Weight While on SEROQUEL?

Options
brih1212
brih1212 Posts: 17 Member
Hi, I was wondering if anyone on here has been successfully losing weight while being on Seroquel? If so, please describe to me what you did to lose weight. I haven't started trying to lose weight yet, but I'm concerned that it will be even harder to do while on this medication...?
Thanks!

Replies

• 170isreal
    170isreal Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am not taking Seroquel but I am a therapist and I have many clients currently taking this medication. A few of my female clients have attempted weight lose while on the meds and have done well. They report that they began walking more, and watching calories. The intake out put rule applies. Good luck to you, I am sure if you have a good plan and stick to it you will be successful.
  • summyv
    summyv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    NO. A hundred times NO. Its a terrible EVIL drug in terms of trying to lose weight in my opinion. Lost 52lbs since I've stopped taking it.
  • cmuggridge
    cmuggridge Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I take Seroquel for my Bipolar and when I first got on it I gained 20 pounds in less than a month. I discussed it with my psychiatrist and we decided to bring the dosage down while monitoring it. In the end we found the right dose that keeps me balanced and does not contribute to my weight issues. I am now down 19 pounds and losing at a good pace.

Perhaps you could also try discussing this with your doctor. There are adjustments and balances that can be made if you are willing to be patient.

One thing my doctor did say when I started on it was that I should be trying to walk an hour a day because some weight gain can occur.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone on here has been successfully losing weight while being on Seroquel? If so, please describe to me what you did to lose weight. I haven't started trying to lose weight yet, but I'm concerned that it will be even harder to do while on this medication...?
    Thanks!

Honey I was taking Seroquel XR for over 18 month. I gained over 80 pounds. When I tried to cut the cravings I was able to lose 10 pounds but it just immediately came back. After my twin's uproar I went to my doctor and he took me off of it. I immediately lost nearly 10+ pounds and I DID NOT WANT TO EAT A THING! . Now my cravings for the most part are under control and the binges are next to none ( 90+ days:smile: ) . But in my experience if you want to lose weight you have to get off of it. It may be different for you.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have successfully lost 98 pounds from my heaviest weight while taking Seroquel XR, with all the weight loss from June until now except for 20 pounds earlier. I basically watch my calories now...eating below 1200 daily, my carbs (because I also have type 2 diabetes), and exercise most days. I was walking on a treadmill with a 2% incline and doing the elliptical machine regularly, but, I'm just getting back into it again after a rough period. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions. I'll be happy to answer any that I can.
    Amy
  • MrsJaimeW
    Options
    I've recently started taking this as well. I'm curious to see what everyone says.
  • Terrykanago
    Terrykanago Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My first post on MFP ....

I've taken a bunch of different drugs for my bipolar disorder -- Seroquel wasn't the worst for weight gain, but not the best by a long shot. I gained 35 lbs in just over 3 months on it at 400 mg per day. When I reached the end of my rope I refused to take it anymore, so my dr put me on Geodon. The cravings were gone and I had more energy almost instantly, and best of all I became more stable because I wasn't having panic attacks and depression over what new high the scale would reach that day. I won't say the weight fell off after the switch, but I was able to lose 50 lbs in 7 months.

The doctor swore it was possible to lose weight, or at least maintain, on Seroquel, but that wasn't my experience. I hope it works out for you!
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I pretty much "ditto" what amy_kee" said, as I have lost 97 pounds while I have been taking seroquel for my insomnia for the last 9 months. I had heard about the weight gain but my doctor reminded me that while there are not pills to make you skinny, there are no pills that make you fat and it is more about the lifestyle choices I am making. And the seroquel has helped me sleep again, so I have energy and I am so much happier; I am a firm beliver that feeling happy and good about yourself is as important as nutrition and exercise.
  • brih1212
    brih1212 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I guess I just need to commit to exercising and eating a lot better and see what happens. I'm just happy that Seroquel doesn't seem to be making me gain any more weight. That is why I switched to it, as my weight gain happened all on Zyprexa. Seroquel is just maintaing that weight it seems. Could be worse I guess!
  • carrak654
    Options
    Hi I know this post was a long time ago but if really like some help, I started taking quietiapine 200mgs when I was 6 months pregnant, I gained 3bs in 3 months, I put it down to being pregnant but I had my baby 5 months ago, my partner is a personal trainer and I have been eating very healthy, no carbs or sugar and do at least 30 mins cardio per day with 3 weight training sessions per week, and my weight has not budged even 1lb in 4 months of training, has anyone else had this experience of not losing ANY weight while eating well and excersizing??please help I'm going insane!
  • RenoTheGambler
    Options
    I NEVER guessed it could be Seroquel that had me gaining so much weight. It tripped me out as well. I was working out and couldn't lose a pound. I'm thinking calorie intake is the culprit though. Les calories more work out.
  • Lach_esis
    Lach_esis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 kilo while I was on seroquel cause I had cravings, 20 of them in 3 months 3 years ago. When I hit 80 kilo I put myself on a low carb diet eating below 1200 cal and I started running and swimming. I started in June. Now I'm 69 kilo's, 10 kilo which I've lost in 2 and a half months. Then I've had some carb cravings and I couldn't run because of blisters. Now I'm back on track and will continue to do so untill I'm back to 52, my weight previous to starting seroquel. My psychiatrist told me that seroquel slows down the metabolism. I've gotten succesfully of the seroquel last month. I'm confident I will eventually reach my goal weight. So yes, you can loose on seroquel.
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I also gained weight while on Seroquel! About 30 pounds...
    It was also difficult for me to get any exercise in because it had me zombified and all I would want to do was sleep!
  • cattitude123
    cattitude123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 16 lbs on 100 mg seroquel daily..I guess everyone is individual. I am bipolar as well. I have been walking and stationary biking,and sticking to the calorie guidelines on my MFP goal suggestions. Good Luck!
  • SmileyJonM
    SmileyJonM Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I went on it about a week before I started the HMR diet through my hospital. I lost proceeded to lose 61 pounds in these first 2 months on the diet. However, I have had to taper off because my liver enzymes went high immediately after starting seraquel and after 2 months they have stayed consistently high. The liver changes were discovered as part of bi-monthly blood testing that is done while on the diet. I am curious to see if being off seraquel has any impact on my weight loss.

Keep Smiling. ;:
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've lost the bulk of my weight while taking a lowish dose of it (as well as gabapentin - saw a post earlier tonight about it also being a gainer). I have noticed an appetite increase, but since I was tracking my calories, I was able to control my response to it. I ended up upping my calories a little and budgeting a little more calories for an evening snack, because that's when I noticed getting most hungry. So yeah, it is possible, at least for some people!
  • sharont81
    sharont81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Was the seroquel given for weight loss?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!