Question about my 5 year old son, and protein

Options
2»

Replies

• MystifiedFluff
    MystifiedFluff Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give him protein powders. Even if it was 'safe', it shows them that artificial powders can replace natural foods, which might lead to problems as he gets older. There are already too many 'miracle' pills and shakes on the market, imho. If he is really adverse to meat, try asking why. Perhaps it's actually a spice you use on meat or he finds it too bland or too spicy, etc. If it is texture, try different ways to cook the meat. If all else fails, other sources of protein are out there: beans, nuts, eggs, fish, cheese, yogurt.

Also, check with your pediatrician. It may just be your son trends lean, but is still growing normally. They will also be able to guide you better about protein intake ideas.
  • firebloom
    firebloom Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It would really depend on the type of protein powder as well. If you are using a fairly natural one with no sweeteners, preservatives or flavouring, I can't see it being an issue at all. I would avoid anything with a lot of sweeteners and crap though.

My mum used to make me protein smoothies as a kid for similar reasons (I decided to become a vegetarian at a young age). She bought the really natural ones with just one or two ingredients and blended with frozen fruits etc.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate your comments...I won't stress so much about it, and just keep trying different things for him. I love this place!! <3
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Mine also wouldn't eat meat at that age. He ate a lot of yogurt, cheese, and plain tofu and was very healthy. Now that he is a teen, what a change! Meat - steak, hamburger, ham, pork chops, chicken, and turkey - he could probably eat meat 3 times a day.