Exercise.

Options
Like a lot of people I am trying to lose weight. I have lost over 11 lbs. and I am so happy that it's coming off and that I have been able to commit to it. I am noticing some changes in my body, my legs seem slimmer and my waist also slimming down on the sides. BUT I need some extra help on my arms and my stomach. Any tips or ideas? I am walking when I can and when I can't I do 40 minutes on my Gazelle.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You can't choose where the fat comes off but you can choose to exercise specific muscles/muscle groups. It sounds like you would do well to start some sort of weight or resistance training in order to build, strengthen, or retain muscle. If you do not have access to weight lifting equipment, consider bodyweight exercises such as as the Nerd Fitness beginner's bodyweight routine. If you do have access to equipment, there are a ton of good programs out there such as SL5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, All Pro's, etc.
  • SWWIS
    SWWIS Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You can't choose where the fat comes off but you can choose to exercise specific muscles/muscle groups. It sounds like you would do well to start some sort of weight or resistance training in order to build, strengthen, or retain muscle. If you do not have access to weight lifting equipment, consider bodyweight exercises such as as the Nerd Fitness beginner's bodyweight routine. If you do have access to equipment, there are a ton of good programs out there such as SL5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, All Pro's, etc.

+1

This. If you decide on bodyweight exercises, you might also want to check out the app "You Are Your Own Gym"

It has a wide variety of exercises and many have variations for different levels of difficulty, and provides structure for your workout.
  • Health_Temple
    Options
    I notice you said 40 minutes on your machine when you can't Walk. I would suggest improving on intensity rather that amount overall. If you have a machine at home can you sprint all out for 15 minutes? 10? Maybe 5 then go at regular pace and sprint for another 5...you cannot spot reduce it is true, you can build muscles to burn more calories at rest, like previously stated is great.

But you stated you want the weight to come off fast, so I am suggesting to amp up the intensity. For example on average someone may burn 100 calories a mile on average so whether I walk that mile an it takes a half an hour, or run it in 8 minutes I'm still burning 100 calories. However I am likely to continue that burn 24-48 hours after if I chose to run without doing anything. I also saved 22 minutes that I would rather spend reading in the sauna. Bamn.