Endurance

Options
I should start off by saying that I am NOT a runner. I hate running, but I know that running is one of the best ways to burn fat. I started running regularly about a year or so ago. I started off doing intervals - one minute run, one minute walk, etc. Over the last year, I've increased the amount of time I spend running. However, my endurance level has barely increased. I don't understand why I still feel like I'm going to pass out when I run just 10 minutes. I've tried to focus on breathing, but I still think it is a lot harder than it should be. Why am I not building strength and endurance? Are some people just not cut out to be runners?

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Seriously, even if you feel like you are just a shade above walking.
  • b218w
    b218w Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Seriously, even if you feel like you are just a shade above walking.

Definitely try to slow down
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    TFG_em wrote: »
    I should start off by saying that I am NOT a runner. I hate running, but I know that running is one of the best ways to burn fat. I started running regularly about a year or so ago. I started off doing intervals - one minute run, one minute walk, etc. Over the last year, I've increased the amount of time I spend running. However, my endurance level has barely increased. I don't understand why I still feel like I'm going to pass out when I run just 10 minutes. I've tried to focus on breathing, but I still think it is a lot harder than it should be. Why am I not building strength and endurance? Are some people just not cut out to be runners?

If you don't like to run, then don't. There are many other things you can do to burn fat. Endurance in any exercise program comes slowly. Your muscles have to adjust to it, then once they adjust to it, your heart and lungs aren't so busy trying to get blood to those areas.

Try several different things. It can be sports, a dance aerobics class, cycling, swimming, hiking and even walking. All of these will get your heart rate up, and all of them burn calories.

My husband is an ultra-marathoner, he loves to run, but me, like you hate to run. My exercise fix is Jazzercise, the only one hour total body workout around. 40 minutes dance aerobics, 20 minutes of weights, bands, balls and floor exercises to work all the problem spots. And I come home just as sweaty as he does.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    slow down. Do something else. Do what feels right it's like... cool, bro.