Protein: the necessary evil?

Options
13»

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    LexiMelo wrote: »
    A life without red meat, dairy and gluten is not a life worth living IMHO. No steak, no bacon, no ice cream, no blueberry muffins?
    the idea makes me :cry:

I can't eat any of the above because of health reasons, so I find this quite rude. For the record, I don't even like steak or bacon. And while I've found that Trader Joe's makes a delicious chocolate coconut-based ice cream and there are great gluten-free baked goods to be had in my city (or kitchen!), I also have to limit my sugar intake. It sucks, but I'm not about to kill myself over it.
  • SmokinJoe77
    SmokinJoe77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree that the information out there can be a bit overwhelming, but I think it's all about moderation. I've debated veganism, but ultimately decided that I'd rather continue to get some of my protein from organic eggs and chicken and wild fish. Although I'm considering limiting my soy intake because of hormone issues, I don't think you have much to worry about because I haven't heard of phytoestrogens having a significant impact on men's health. Also, if you don't have Celiac disease or a sensitivity or health issue that makes seitan a bad choice for you, I recommend you include that in moderation as well. In trying to limit my intake of animal proteins, I think the best strategy is to strive to get protein everywhere you can and making high-protein choices throughout the day, including snacks.

This is right on track where I was heading on my own (before I got sidetracked with the good, bad and ugly of nutrition). In a few years, my diet will be primarily fish/seafood and vegetables because I am relocating to an environment in which this will be my sustainable food source. Chicken will be an occasional treat.

As for red meat, I don't crave it at all like I used to. I have bacon on Saturday but for the most part it's poultry and fish for my meat source. I used to be a "steak and taters" guy, but it just doesn't taste good any more.

Thank you for your feedback.
  • AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    Be more skeptical of your sources. Both of the sources you cite (Authority nutrition especially, but the other one also looks pretty sketchy to me) talk a lot of noise about being "science-based" but appear to be advocacy entities that cherry pick *which* scientific studies they cite in order to confirm their own biases or the personal hobbyhorses of their owner / editors.

It's hard for us laypeople to know who to trust, but in general you're safer with:

1. Peer-reviewed research
    2. Non-biased, independent objective organizations, ideally ones you've ACTUALLY heard of for clinical experience (e.g. the Mayo Clinic) or for working with medical professionals in a broad-based way (American Heart Association, American Cancer Society). If the organization exists solely for the purpose of disseminating information to non-professionals like you and me, consider them suspect: they're selling something: either your eyeballs to advertisers, or they're true believers in some specific point of view that medical professionals WON'T accept.

I got that vibe from the site as well. The information it was using to back up it's claim seemed sort of shaky. The stuff about protein being inflammatory and cancer-causing confuses me.

Do you have any recommendations for better websites that give more solid information about nutrition and protein?

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    beans. also a great source of fiber.